***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
lol squatting on some elses toilet. I just squatted in the shower but it wasn't comfy for long because my hips are so tight. I shouldn't of watched that asian squat video on youtube. I bet they never have to worry about form at the gym, they just drop into squat like it's breathing air in and out.

Man of Honour
OP
Nate, for the love of god, please realise that there is a reason that people do things the way that they do.

There is a common solution for mobility issues and dysfunction, and it has nothing to do with squatting down with some wood in a broken position for hours.

Do your mobility exercises, perform functional movements and pay attention to your posture.

You are very strange...

Soldato
Why do people sit in chairs or at bus stops instead of squatting? I know you can't really squat at work unless you're really going for the coding monkey award.

Form aside, none of you are curious to see what it's like squatting instead of sitting?

Deadlift I'm working on it, one thing I've noticed is the relationship between the squat position and a deadlift, it seems the stiffness I feel from descending into squats I feel in a correct deadlift position, it's not comfy due to tightness but my back is dead straight.

Man of Honour
Why do people sit in chairs or at bus stops instead of squatting? I know you can't really squat at work unless you're really going for the coding monkey award.

Form aside, none of you are curious to see what it's like squatting instead of sitting?

Deadlift I'm working on it, one thing I've noticed is the relationship between the squat position and a deadlift, it seems the stiffness I feel from descending into squats I feel in a correct deadlift position, it's not comfy due to tightness but my back is dead straight.

I suppose the answer is that just because you feel like you want to solve this problem the 'old fashioned' way, not everybody else does.

You can get the same results through a few minutes of stretching/mobility a day or on workout days.

Man of Honour
OP
It's not even fixing anything at all "the old fashioned way", which under other circumstances might have a lot of merit. It's arbitrarily deciding that something is a good idea without being aware of all of the factors that influence it's success, or indeed it's total failure.

Having seen Nate move, he will not be able to extract any benefit from this.

I doubt he will listen though.

Man of Honour
OP
Nothing, apart from kinesiology and the mechanics of the position and how they interact with your various dysfunctions. You, like most people living modern lifestyles, are not a blank slate and you do not function as nature intended.

Please engage your brain before you self diagnose and prescribe random treatments.

Man of Honour
OP
You said it would fix your dysfunction...

Seriously, this is pointless.

Yes, being able to sit in a full squat is awesome and everyone should be able to do it. Should you aim to do it all day at work? No.

Soldato
I want to try and eliminate dysfunctions like sitting down for long periods.

Just try it at home, trying to increase the resting position. As with lifting weights trying to do too much too soon is bad but it's something to work towards. Train those muscles doing mobility exercises and use them to squat. I don't see the point in trying to fix dysfunctions and squatting at the gym then going home and sitting in a chair again. Use that newly acquired mobility as much as you can.

f7p4.jpg

jd06.jpg

farg.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
You're talking to me like full squatting is new information to me... It isn't.

You appear to be utterly convinced that you are right, so go for it.

We wouldn't want crazy things like listening and smart choices to get in the way of unfounded arrogance now would we?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's fine to hold onto something, he even says in the video. Without proper range you won't have the weight over your feet (unless you have all kinds of back rounding) so will fall over if you don't hold onto something.

Man of Honour
OP
Okay fine I won't try it then, I don't mean to be arrogant I just wish I could squat inside the gym and outside. :(
You're still missing the point.

Aiming to be able to full squat comfortably with good positioning is a great idea. Your ankles will be your biggest problem.

Using this position, when you've developed it, when casually bending down/resting/whatever is also a great idea.

The other stuff you tacked onto these basic principals was where things stopped making sense.

Soldato
Alright so use the squat position for doing task and short resting but not for crapping and working? Yeah my feet are definitely the biggest problem, they just won't behave.
I was dreaming of squatting at the PC and owning noobs on counter strike :(

I asked some people to squat today and none of them could squat deep on their heels, even their kids at age seven, it's crazy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom