***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
Are you supposed to fully lock out on OHP? I was reading around that locking out on any exercise is supposed to be a no-no?

I've been getting elbow issues recently which might be linked to locking out. I am doing mwod stuff on them and they do also appear to be linked with forearm issues - which I am definitely suffering from.

I've always locked out on the OHP and never had elbow issues with it... I got mine with bench :D Remember to brace dat core and what stance are you using?

Soldato
Yeah definitely get it from benching as a result of elbow positioning. It was summed up perfectly in one of the MWOD videos. So I'm working on that.

Stance in OHP is just feet at shoulder width, well a bit narrower. Brace locked but I do have some level of APT which doesn't help with posture. Again, working on that too. Core is pretty weak too.

Basically it's all **** :p gimme time though.

I used to lock out on all exercises, but am now trying to stop just short of locking out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are you supposed to fully lock out on OHP? I was reading around that locking out on any exercise is supposed to be a no-no?

I am a weightlifter: not locking out would result in very bad things happening to my head, shoulders and spinal cord. ;)

The point (I think) is not that locking out is problematic, but reducing the potential for joints to become hyperextended (i.e. locked-out in a compromised position) and then collapse the wrong way. The easiest way for most people to manage this (i.e. who have bad proprioception) is to not lock out.

From a body-building perspective, lockout means the tension has been taken out the muscle and the lifter is relying on the skeletal system/joints to hold the weight in place, when what they're really after is time under tension (i.e. to keep the muscles controlling the weight) for muscle growth.

I've been getting elbow issues recently which might be linked to locking out. I am doing mwod stuff on them and they do also appear to be linked with forearm issues - which I am definitely suffering from.

Forearms, elbow flexors, triceps, etc. Pick a muscle in anybody's arm and it's probably compromised in some shape or form. :(

Soldato
hyperextended (i.e. locked-out in a compromised position) and then collapse the wrong way. The easiest way for most people to manage this (i.e. who have bad proprioception) is to not lock out.

Beat me to it! :p

When people lock out 'passively' it effectively becomes a hyperextension of the joint.

Imagine standing up with both legs straight & knees locked, now if you were to relax one leg and push your knee back with one hand, that's what a hyper extension feels like. A lot of newcomers find themselves locking out, hyperextending the joints and subsequently snapping all their **** the wrong way.

iv6MXET.png

This is exactly what you don't want, as MrThingy says, you rely on the joint itself to keep intact and not the surrounding musculature.

Soldato
Appreciate the info, I don't think I hyper extended (certainly not as bad as that photo :eek:) but it's hard to say exactly what goes on, especially near the last few reps.

I've not squatted in anger since July :o but this is as of today:

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...E1E-612-0000004AC7FE0D94_zps9d465e18.mp4.html

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...B8E-612-0000004C31EF6FC7_zps437bdc12.mp4.html

Was mainly focusing on getting the core locked, didn't both too much about depth, I know I get bum tuck so not going too low. Started to cramp up a bit near the end but reasonably satisfied considering.

BB Bench:

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...BCB-455-00000038B34C3A96_zps4c84bd5d.mp4.html

Man of Honour
OP
^Yep.

It's been covered a few times (is it time to build a FAQ?), but locking out a lift is only bad when that position is also the end range of the joint. Lock out should when the joint is neutral, for example when your knee is positioned to put your leg in a straight line. However, if a lack of flexibility has made this position your end range, you're also in trouble.

Here's another video from today

Pretty good, just not perfectly coordinated.

Your legs and glutes are a little weak, and your core isn't coordinating your hips and torso effectively.

Solution: More squatting. More bracing ALL of your core (remember, it's a box and you need to activate all of the sides) and creating proper pressure. Emphasise leading with your chest up out of the hole.

Man of Honour
OP
Appreciate the info, I don't think I hyper extended (certainly not as bad as that photo :eek:) but it's hard to say exactly what goes on, especially near the last few reps.

I've not squatted in anger since July :o but this is as of today:

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...E1E-612-0000004AC7FE0D94_zps9d465e18.mp4.html

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...B8E-612-0000004C31EF6FC7_zps437bdc12.mp4.html

Was mainly focusing on getting the core locked, didn't both too much about depth, I know I get bum tuck so not going too low. Started to cramp up a bit near the end but reasonably satisfied considering.

BB Bench:

http://s896.photobucket.com/user/il...BCB-455-00000038B34C3A96_zps4c84bd5d.mp4.html
Similar problems to kcon1 with the squat.

When you bench you aren't keeping your elbows under the bar.

Soldato
So my elbows should move towards the end of the bench? Guess it's to do with shoulder mobility? Will try to make more of an effort to do so. Thanks.

You're right about the weak glutes, they're already feeling it!

Soldato
Looks like you're driving out the hole okay but seem to switch your hips off just before you end up bolt upright.

Also you drop in to the hole quite quickly, I'd slow this down as when you start adding weight it'll be a problem as accelerated weight will make the lift harder and also any dysfunction will become more pronounced & problematic.

Your bench bar path is riddddonkulous, almost like dat belly bounce bench press gym fail video floating about (no disrespect intended by use of the word fail!). The bar needs to move in a staight line, open your chest up more, keep your scapula retracted and lats engaged. At the moment the barbell & center of gravity is moving below (as in down the bench) your shoulders.

Try to emulate a press up.

The angle of that video isn't great, try to get another one from higher up and further round (towards your feet.

Soldato
Looks like you're driving out the hole okay but seem to switch your hips off just before you end up bolt upright.

Also you drop in to the hole quite quickly, I'd slow this down as when you start adding weight it'll be a problem as accelerated weight will make the lift harder and also any dysfunction will become more pronounced & problematic.

Noted re: switching hips off. I think I was rushing a bit as I started to cramp up but will make a point of slowing down.

Your bench bar path is riddddonkulous, almost like dat belly bounce bench press gym fail video floating about (no disrespect intended by use of the word fail!). The bar needs to move in a staight line, open your chest up more, keep your scapula retracted and lats engaged. At the moment the barbell & center of gravity is moving below (as in down the bench) your shoulders.

Try to emulate a press up.

The angle of that video isn't great, try to get another one from higher up and further round (towards your feet.

I did notice that :D It feels quite high up when I'm on the bench (high as in towards the bar rack....and I think that's as high as I can comfortably go, but will verify!) but also, I thought the bar was supposed to come down to the mid-chest, down to the nips? Must be mistaken.

I'll have a go on Fri and see if I can make some changes, will struggle to find a better angle for the vid as there is nothing to put phone against....I might try and head to up coming the meet for some advice if possible.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A couple of things could be going on:

- Your nipples are really far down your chest
- Your shoulders are too shrugged up
- The video is deceptive and you are flaring your elbows too much

Caporegime
You a weird thing bwfore you unrack...you almost shrug your shoulders to your head?

Bar path, its very low, that has to be below your nips as thats half way down your torso! As people have said do not do this, otherwise you'll have delvis shoulders

Soldato
Anyone care to explain why I get a horrible numb/pins and needles sensation in my fingers when squatting? Really puts me off as I feel like I'm not gonna have a safe hold of the bar.

Soldato
You a weird thing bwfore you unrack...you almost shrug your shoulders to your head?

Bar path, its very low, that has to be below your nips as thats half way down your torso! As people have said do not do this, otherwise you'll have delvis shoulders

It's not a shrug, it's me getting right under the bar, I kinda swing under and lock into it... on one of those sets I shuffled a bit as I wasn't in the centre.

I think the angle makes the bench look worse than it is, but I will do the nip test and verify.

Anyone care to explain why I get a horrible numb/pins and needles sensation in my fingers when squatting? Really puts me off as I feel like I'm not gonna have a safe hold of the bar.

I kinda get it sometimes, must just be lack of blood whilst gripping the bar? Does sound a bit odd though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

You probably have bad shoulder mobility, causing impingement of the ulnar nerve during squatting.

Look at the mobility thread for ways to improve this (assuming this is the issue). But as most people have bad shoulder mobility, it will do you no harm to mobilise, anyway. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yep, that's probably going to some kind of pec/shoulder/neck tightness issue. Or it could be some slightly compressed nerves in your neck.

Possible physio/osteo visit needed, but if you work on your pec and shoulder mobility it means that if you do go and see a professional, he won't be wasting as much time on something relatively trivial.

Back
Top Bottom