***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Man of Honour
OP
Upright rows are terrible for your shoulders. Don't do them.

What might have happened here is that your supraspinatus has been twinged as it tried to stabilise your shoulder against the pull of tight pecs. Have a look in the mobility thread, you need soft tissue work for the painful area and your pecs, as well as internal and external rotation stretches.

Soldato
Let's try my question again now I've had a good 13 hour sleep (dem switcherover Sunday 12 hour day shift to Monday 12 hour night shift feels): is it normal for the base of your neck to get a bit red and angry doing fronties? I have poverty shoulders so getting what feels like a nice front rack position doesn't seem to come easy and I feel like I have to practically be cutting off my air supply to keep the bar in the right place.

*dreams of having a bodyweight to front squat ratio like this* (Lu is <77kg!):

So jel.

Man of Honour
I have never noticed a sore neck from front squats, unless I have done something daft.

Is the bar sitting on your delts? I will be front squatting tomorrow so can have a play and see what works if you want...

Soldato
Well, I'm not crushing my collar bone at least. It's not so much sore as it's just red, like shaving rash; when I unrack the bar sort of pinches the skin I think (below my adam's apple). I have short arms (clothes often fit great in the body but the sleeves come up long) but think it's more a shoulder mobility thing with my front rack... and not having boulder delts.

Man of Honour
Well, I'm not crushing my collar bone at least. It's not so much sore as it's just red, like shaving rash; when I unrack the bar sort of pinches the skin I think (below my adam's apple). I have short arms (clothes often fit great in the body but the sleeves come up long) but think it's more a shoulder mobility thing with my front rack... and not having boulder delts.

I was having a play with this whilst trying not to die this morning...

How far back to you pull your shoulders in front rack, as when I rack the bar, it's not too tight against my throat...

It presses, sure, but it's not jammed too hard. But then, I front squat with 'active' shoulders, i.e. they're holding the bar. Which is why I loathe high rep front squats as my delts fatigue first.

Soldato

But then, I front squat with 'active' shoulders, i.e. they're holding the bar. Which is why I loathe high rep front squats as my delts fatigue first.

I've tried both these positions, on the throat and also just below the clavicle (thanks to Syla5 for showing me at a meet).

Below the clavicle and where ever it falls on the shoulder suits me nicely, what's more I don't have to make a conscious effort to keep my elbows up this way either.

Not sure if Dave has a guide or can give guidance on this set up?...

Caporegime

More concerned about the first set performed, why do I get pain in my lumbar (or that area)

I'm not exactly tucking, so I'm either loading something horribly wrong or I'm just forever broken.

Man of Honour
OP
There isn't enough movement to actually cause problems, but that doesn't rule out aggravating something that's already there.

Do you mean literally your spine, more where your erectors are, or even further out?

Possible Pat visit needed.

Caporegime
There isn't enough movement to actually cause problems, but that doesn't rule out aggravating something that's already there.

Do you mean literally your spine, more where your erectors are, or even further out?

Possible Pat visit needed.

This is what i get pretty much consistently (daily while sat down, or squatting, or in laying in bed), just squatting doesn't help matters and it's really annoying me now.

It's certainly central rather than further out, i.e spine or erector area. Everyone i've seen is adamant my spine is generally healthy however (as in, doctors, physios, Pat, masseuses)

Soldato
Throw a coup,e of sets of core at the end of every session. I've found it really easy to add in and just super set it with your last assistance exercise. 2-3 sets of plank/laying leg raises or hanging leg raises at the end of every session. You can even murmur yourself with plank/leg raise/landline super sets for fun :)

Back
Top Bottom