[H] issued team challenge for Citizen Science Grid

Soldato
Ooooooo , specs? I wanted to upgrade but gota get a new car for work this week so upgrades will have to wait a bit

MB: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
RAM: CT4K16G4RFD4213 - 4 x 16 gig crucial ECC memory
CPUs: 2 x Xeon E5-2695 v3 - 14 haswell cores 28 threads each @2.2ghz

The CPUs are ES, I think they are the exact same ones as colinmcr's looking at his cpu-z screenshot, and going by that I don't think they are going to turbo up when all cores are running unlike the retail version, but you get what you pay for. There are some 18 core 36 thread oem CPUs for sale which I know turbo up to 2.8ghz and are a bargain compared to the retail price but at £1,400 a pop I decided against it, I can always upgrade later when I've forgotten just how much I've paid already ;)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Stick a wi-fi dongle in it, plug it into a wall socket somewhere, put a radiator cover over it and just tell people it's a storage heater :D

Associate
MB: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
RAM: CT4K16G4RFD4213 - 4 x 16 gig crucial ECC memory
CPUs: 2 x Xeon E5-2695 v3 - 14 haswell cores 28 threads each @2.2ghz

The CPUs are ES, I think they are the exact same ones as colinmcr's looking at his cpu-z screenshot, and going by that I don't think they are going to turbo up when all cores are running unlike the retail version, but you get what you pay for. There are some 18 core 36 thread oem CPUs for sale which I know turbo up to 2.8ghz and are a bargain compared to the retail price but at £1,400 a pop I decided against it, I can always upgrade later when I've forgotten just how much I've paid already ;)

You've maybe seen this thread for the board? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18632166&highlight=z10

Awesome buy, "we's like peas and carrots" I bought mine @auction and yep I'm using ES samples but I've never tried to clock them higher but badger got his a nice wee OC. I paid just over a grand for my pair which was way cheaper than retail, was a rather nervous wait to test them....

Now I defo have to get mine running, but I've still two weeks to go before getting back to UK. Are you going to run all threads on one project or half n half?

Stick a wi-fi dongle in it, plug it into a wall socket somewhere, put a radiator cover over it and just tell people it's a storage heater :D

What a good idea :D

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Ah yes, but if I do keep it I might end up giving you a run for your money :p
I never had you down as a comedian :D

Perhaps I should upgrade mine, I'd probably go the 5820k route though. Only if they come with the upgraded packaging mind. Don't think I'm going to buy anything from OcUK again unless it comes with this new packaging as standard :p

Soldato
You've maybe seen this thread for the board? http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18632166&highlight=z10

Awesome buy, "we's like peas and carrots" I bought mine @auction and yep I'm using ES samples but I've never tried to clock them higher but badger got his a nice wee OC. I paid just over a grand for my pair which was way cheaper than retail, was a rather nervous wait to test them....

Now I defo have to get mine running, but I've still two weeks to go before getting back to UK. Are you going to run all threads on one project or half n half?

I had seen that thread, after seeing the problems with what you and another person had with RAM I choose what badger had bought to be on the safe side. All threads will be on one project :cool: I know what my current machines can do, it'll be interesting to see the comparison, and yeah definitely get yours going and then we can hit some more challenges ;)

I never had you down as a comedian :D

Perhaps I should upgrade mine, I'd probably go the 5820k route though. Only if they come with the upgraded packaging mind. Don't think I'm going to buy anything from OcUK again unless it comes with this new packaging as standard :p

Is this to replace those 4770Ks you have? :p (I did some detective work a while back :D) but you're right, still don't think i'll be up with you, don't know how you manage to produce what you do on DPAD and still produce what you do on other projects, well, I have an idea, but it's just a theory :)

Associate
Well everything has arrived, and unbelievably the same thing has happened to me as it did colin, both of the CPU plastic covers were off, loose in the static bag and I have a bent socket pin :(

Ah man that's such a downer, I remember that feel when I saw the cover off mine and then 4-5 pins bent :(

Hope you get a replacement soon...

PDW

PDW

Associate
Is this to replace those 4770Ks you have? :p (I did some detective work a while back :D) but you're right, still don't think i'll be up with you, don't know how you manage to produce what you do on DPAD and still produce what you do on other projects, well, I have an idea, but it's just a theory :)

Not enough detecting done :p
I'd get rid of the E7500 and Q6600 first before moving onto the 4770Ks :)

Well everything has arrived, and unbelievably the same thing has happened to me as it did colin, both of the CPU plastic covers were off, loose in the static bag and I have a bent socket pin :(

That's bad, I wouldn't be happy paying that much and them arriving like that :mad:
I did say that you need to make sure you go for the upgraded packaging material though, seems it is a Number 1 feature to look for :eek:

Soldato
Ah man that's such a downer, I remember that feel when I saw the cover off mine and then 4-5 pins bent :(

Hope you get a replacement soon...

Just waiting on an RMA number. Colin I've sent you a trust message.

Not enough detecting done :p
I'd get rid of the E7500 and Q6600 first before moving onto the 4770Ks :)

Dang, didn't notice them relics :D

That's bad, I wouldn't be happy paying that much and them arriving like that :mad:
I did say that you need to make sure you go for the upgraded packaging material though, seems it is a Number 1 feature to look for :eek:

I have to confess, I don't know what you're talking about :o "upgraded packaging"??

Back
Top Bottom