***Han Solo movie***

The loss of a Williams soundtrack really hurt it, and I wonder why they dropped the signature Star Wars screen wipes?

I thought the Williams music was in the movie, sure I heard it.

Looks like hot garbage to me, wouldn't download it for free.

Watch it for yourself before you lay into it. It wasn't that bad. I seen it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I found it very boring and just a series of scenes to tick off. There were bits of John Williams but just as you were getting into the music they switched to something else which was annoying.

Also....

Chewie was supposed to have this big life debt after Han saved his life but that was an anticlimax.
The card game had zero tension and we didn't even know the rules so we couldn't get invested, we knew the outcome so was boring to watch.
Crashing the Falcon all the time to get out of situations and doing ridiculous moves.
Lando's droid was worse than Jar Jar, made me cringe.
Seein Maul was cool but no one in my party had seen Rebels so that had zero impact apart from confusion.

Apparently it's only made 100mill worldwide in its opening weekend and isn't likely based on film trend to recover the 400mil it cost to make. Ouch

Supposedly, it's because of all the reshoots, which were substantial. ie. It was two films instead of 1. The one with the previous makers and the current one.

I see that the 'original' movie was akin to Ace Ventura in Space according to sources, WTF!!?? No wonder Kennedy paniced and pulled the plug!!

Well, it shouldn't have been green lit in the first place then. And then of course, it was supposedly developed before aquisition by Disney, so they green lit something they knew was like that. Or they didn't bother look at anything and just green lit anything so they have more "Star Wars" to flog. I dunno. Just doesn't look good no matter which way it's spun.

Sweet Jesus, really!!?? That seems crazy high, this should have been made for 100mill tops.

edit - I see reports of $250mill, still v v high imo for a no-name cast.

I may have got confused and double the doubled cost but as other have said I heard it went through a reshoot which made it substantially more.
What more I don't know if it makes a difference to box office prices but the cinemas around me have strangely nearly halved the price of all tickets.

Sweet Jesus, really!!?? That seems crazy high, this should have been made for 100mill tops.

edit - I see reports of $250mill, still v v high imo for a no-name cast.

They were like at least 50% or 2/3rd into production before firing the directors (there must be some pay off) then hire Howard, which must cost more than normal at the last minute and he reshot 70%+ of the movie and they managed to do it on time which no doubt means a lot of overtime in some quarters.

They were like at least 50% or 2/3rd into production before firing the directors (there must be some pay off) then hire Howard, which must cost more than normal at the last minute and he reshot 70%+ of the movie and they managed to do it on time which no doubt means a lot of overtime in some quarters.

Sounds like they should have just binned it off, would have cost less overall considering the potential losses it's going to suffer!

Maybe they'll realise, their's only one Han Solo...

What more I don't know if it makes a difference to box office prices but the cinemas around me have strangely nearly halved the price of all tickets.

From what I gather it works differently in different territories. For instance in the States then all of the ticket price goes to the studio and the cinema makes money on snacks etc, whereas in Europe then they get a percentage of the ticket price. I could be wrong, but I think that's why the domestic US take is so important.

Also factor in their nonchalance response to TLJ and people (like me) will just stay away out of principle.

If they had acknowledge some criticism I'm sure that wouldn't be the case.

It just didn’t need to be made. It would have been better if the character’s backstory was left to the imagination from snippets in the other films.

The SJW/identity politics stuff was a factor but not the sole reason people aren’t interested. It’s also well known that SJWs don’t actually stump up the cash for the things they say they want or there aren’t enough of them for it to be profitable.

The oversaturation argument isn’t 100% right either. I would like to see a film with new characters set in TFA/TLJ era.

I’m not sure I’ll even see Ep 9.

End of the day Rogue One had a new story to tell with completely new characters this is mostly neither.

Hopefully a wake up call to Disney that just slapping Star Wars on a film doesn't fire up a cash printing machine.

I found it very boring and just a series of scenes to tick off. There were bits of John Williams but just as you were getting into the music they switched to something else which was annoying.

Also....

Chewie was supposed to have this big life debt after Han saved his life but that was an anticlimax.

Where did you get that notion from though? A life debt is never mentioned in the films. Isn't that old cannon and therefore no longer exists?

The card game had zero tension and we didn't even know the rules so we couldn't get invested, we knew the outcome so was boring to watch.

Though I wouldn't call it a highlight of the movie, it subverted my expectations in that Han didn't win the game or the Falcon, he bluffed about owning a ship and lost because Landon cheated. Obviously the second card game Han realises that Landon was cheating and turns the tables on him, gaining ownership. Makes sense of Lando's comment in Empire about being cheated out of his ship. I thought that was well written actually.

Lando's droid was worse than Jar Jar, made me cringe.

Agreed, wasn't a fan of the droid. Jar Jar was worse though.

Seein Maul was cool but no one in my party had seen Rebels so that had zero impact apart from confusion.

That was a cool cameo.

Back
Top Bottom