***Han Solo movie***

v0n

v0n

Soldato
the Cameo really threw me, didn't see that coming.

One could say that with this cameo comes terrible realisation that after destroying achievements, sacrifices and life work of OT characters Disney moved on to invalidate achievements and sacrifices of prequel characters, but hey - as long as it creates buzz for "Kenobi", right?

Soldato
Really? Based on one film that some people didn't like?

Disney recouped their outlay for the rights to Star Wars last year. So I'm sure they are fairly happy with what she's done.

No I'm basing that on TLJ and the vast majority of the fans angry reaction to it combined with Lucas-Films insulting reaction to those fans, and that friction between the fans and the studio has already effected the ability of this film to make money and may effect the other films afterwards too.

So instead of people thinking "Yay, another Star Wars film", like people currently do with say Marvel movies, there is now a huge amount of "screw you Lucas-Film/Disney" feeling amongst the fans which has already sunk this film (regardless of whether Solo is actually good or not) and I feel will continue to sink further when Ep9 releases.

As I mentioned, it's only since TLJ that Lucas-Films over-reaction reaction to the fans negative reactions has started to become more important to people than the quality of the films themselves, and as mentioned, right now Disney must be looking at how toxic the relationship between Lucas-Films and the fans is and how much money it's now going to start costing Disney in lost revenue and it must be thinking "how long can we wait before stepping in and doing something".

Soldato
And a large vocal majority of "fans" don't make THAT film good either.

Box office figures do not equate to good films.

EDIT: I get that's not what you are arguing, but the last film has made me consider visiting the cinema for this one, whereas prior to TLJ I would have been desperate to go see it at this point.

Associate
And a large vocal majority of "fans" don't make THAT film good either.

Box office figures do not equate to good films.

EDIT: I get that's not what you are arguing, but the last film has made me consider visiting the cinema for this one, whereas prior to TLJ I would have been desperate to go see it at this point.

Go see it. I really enjoyed it. Was not feeling great about it after the nonsense of TLJ but this was great fun.

Caporegime
Box office figures and DVD sales are weakly related to film quality, I agree. But both are reasonable measures of popularity, and DVD sales are a good measure of popularity, I would say, and they were also a huge success for TLJ too.

I guess I just don't see any evidence of anything but a minority of vocally salty fans. You could argue that's down to my personal biases (I think TLJ is possibly the best Star Wars movie of all time, certainly the only one to challenge the first movie for that crown) but I think the available facts are on my side.

Soldato
One could say that with this cameo comes terrible realisation that after destroying achievements, sacrifices and life work of OT characters Disney moved on to invalidate achievements and sacrifices of prequel characters, but hey - as long as it creates buzz for "Kenobi", right?
It does nothing of the sort. For those that have followed the clone wars series and Rebels which of course sticks closely to canon then the cameo was great and keeps all OT canon intact.

Soldato
No I'm basing that on TLJ and the vast majority of the fans angry reaction to it combined with Lucas-Films insulting reaction to those fans, and that friction between the fans and the studio has already effected the ability of this film to make money and may effect the other films afterwards too.

So instead of people thinking "Yay, another Star Wars film", like people currently do with say Marvel movies, there is now a huge amount of "screw you Lucas-Film/Disney" feeling amongst the fans which has already sunk this film (regardless of whether Solo is actually good or not) and I feel will continue to sink further when Ep9 releases.

As I mentioned, it's only since TLJ that Lucas-Films over-reaction reaction to the fans negative reactions has started to become more important to people than the quality of the films themselves, and as mentioned, right now Disney must be looking at how toxic the relationship between Lucas-Films and the fans is and how much money it's now going to start costing Disney in lost revenue and it must be thinking "how long can we wait before stepping in and doing something".
It's hardly looking Disney money or a total flop. They made a fortune already on the Star Wars films and also from the Marvel films so are really not bothered if one movie doesn't quite make as much.

I am sure it will still recover it's cost and the film will be a slow burner. Not to mention most people that have actually seen it, have enjoyed it and been surprised.

Associate
Perhaps this is overextrapolation from limited data but it seems like people who disliked TLJ are really digging Solo whilst people who like TLJ think Solo is a bit subpar.

On TLJ I suppose it's not so much how the movie was directed or made.... just the script and the direction of the story I really didn't like. Also some of the characters shoe horned in brought nothing to it.

I thought just about every character introduced in Solo was great, even if they weren't in it for too long! Well, except maybe for one ;)
Actor playing Solo did a brilliant job, really felt like the Solo we all know and love by the end.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
It's hardly looking Disney money or a total flop. They made a fortune already on the Star Wars films and also from the Marvel films so are really not bothered if one movie doesn't quite make as much.

I am sure it will still recover it's cost and the film will be a slow burner. Not to mention most people that have actually seen it, have enjoyed it and been surprised.

I know collectively its Disney but the creative teams behind Marvel and SW are different in circumstance and situation.

(Marvel) - Still has the same creative "Marvel" teams who know material, who know what they want, how they want to do it and which direction they want the films to go. (Productions have to check in with Marvel on how it impacts the franchise without much interference from Disney)

SW - you have Kennedy who isnt Lucas and doesnt knows exactly where this is heading, from what we have seen and doesnt have much control or care how their films are made. Pretty much free reign to do what they want. Her only objective is profit first and everything second. The contrast can be seen between TFA and TLJ.

Soldato
Decent film, didn't feel too starwars but had just enough in, more like a crime caper set in the sw universe

Some bits were a bit corny but there was plenty of surprises
such as chewie ripping someone apart, han doing what he needed to do and shooting first

Better than the last jedi anyways

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Glad people still enjoyed it as a movie based on merit and nothing more. All this negativity and boycott (while i dont disagree on certain aspects on Kennedy/Disney/SW creative team) but including issues linked to SJW (i had to look this up as i had no clue what this was and what it had to do with SW) is just OT imo.

Personally for me Solo brought back some confidence, they might not be anything ground breaking but definitely a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom