Hard Drive Pricing going up at an alarming rate!!!!

Associate
"Global demand for HDDs continues to grow and last quarter hit 177M units, which equates to 59M units per month, and is forecast to hit 180M next quarter. However, the impact of the floods is expected to cause a 20M unit shortfall over demand per month. As a direct result prices could rise by up to 25% for hard disks and this will impact finished products down the line as well."

Interesting - I think that most people would be pretty happy to see a 25% increase as opposed to the doubling and getting on for trebling of prices that we are experiencing in the UK.:eek:

Associate
"Global demand for HDDs continues to grow and last quarter hit 177M units, which equates to 59M units per month, and is forecast to hit 180M next quarter. However, the impact of the floods is expected to cause a 20M unit shortfall over demand per month. As a direct result prices could rise by up to 25% for hard disks and this will impact finished products down the line as well."

Interesting - I think that most people would be pretty happy to see a 25% increase as opposed to the doubling and getting on for trebling of prices that we are experiencing in the UK.:eek:

reminds me of what the gas stations did after 9/11 in the states charging 4+ dollars a gallon (errr gas wasnt that much then probably 2.15~) just checked sadly uk doesnt seem to be the only one affected ... us prices are up there also ... and seagate is coming out with a new 3tb model I was interested in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

This is an additional 25% increase over what is currently standing.

Majority of drives go to main SI partners, the rest gets dribbled out to ditribution. As such pricing (cost to ocuk) on one like has gone from a last cost of 22.39 to 62.00

Thats why pricing is as it is.

Associate
£75 for 2TB is best I found so far..anyone got anything better?

I would grab it now ......just ordered one at that price ( from a well known rain forest) thats me stocked up for at least a year as i had ordered 6tb a few weeks ago just before this all kicked off.
The way the world economy is going I would'nt bet on Manufacturers being in a hurry to bring factories back online quickly.....may be they will keep the disk market hungry and gain from higher margins and heavy demand......??:(

Associate
What make did you get for £75?

A seagate green 2tb .........now up to £78 only one pert person when u get to checkout........:(

A lot of people are saying this is only a blip and all will be well in a few months
I reckon that it will be at least Q4 nxt year before the supply starts to meet demand....if at all.With the way the international money markets are , I doubt they will be extending large loans to businesses that are low margin returns. Couple that with the fact that eurozone is greedily attempting to grab as much finance that it can get .....the unstability will hammer all businesses needing extraordinary finance in the near future. Jst my tuppence worth......??
Anyone else think similar ??

Soldato
Was looking at a samsung 5400rpm 2.5inch external today in a high street store for cheapish, still hmm'in and hawwing as I'm sure I can survive the next few months with the storage I have right now, saying that all my drives will die on Xmas day now

Soldato
not sure if its been mentioned but have a look at Item number: 150687784002 on the bay, be prepared for a shock(if you think the price on here and compatiors is crazy) ;)

Soldato
not sure if its been mentioned but have a look at Item number: 150687784002 on the bay, be prepared for a shock(if you think the price on here and compatiors is crazy) ;)

check out some of that guys other items. he's selling an EZcool 80mm Fan for £999.95, and a Fractal Design 40mm fan for £999.90

Back
Top Bottom