Hardest three footballers ever

Caporegime
Don
Just remembered the Souness/flag incident when he was Galatasaray manager.

Galatasaray had just beat Fenerbahce in the Turkish Cup final at Fenerbahce's ground and at the final whistle Souness ran onto the pitch with a giant Galatasaray flag and planted it in the centre circle.

Took some *******s to do that.

Man of Honour
Ignoring players already mentioned, just the sight of John Carew scares the living daylights out of me. Our defenders were literally bouncing off him today, with his back to goal it's almost comical watching defenders trying to get by/through him.

I dunno, he just has one of the strangest physiques I've seen from a footballer, he's not a classical specimen like Drogba with bulging muscles and a six-pack but more big shoulders and I dunno, like that bloke off of the Green Mile? Seriously it looks like he can knock people over just by turning round or swat them down like flies with a flick of the wrist.

It's a shame really, I reckon he could have had the potential to be one of the legendary strikers of the past decade but something somewhere isn't quite right.

Last edited:
Associate
lol at arsenal fan boy who said keane got owned. I remember when Viera was having a go at G.Nev in the tunnel and Keane went mad, Bergkamp had to ask Keane to leave him alone please and turned around and told Viera it was going to be okay as Viera backed off into a corner. Or something like that ;)

Don
Ignoring players already mentioned, just the sight of John Carew scares the living daylights out of me. Our defenders were literally bouncing off him today, with his back to goal it's almost comical watching defenders trying to get by/through him.

I dunno, he just has one of the strangest physiques I've seen from a footballer, he's not a classical specimen like Drogba with bulging muscles and a six-pack but more big shoulders and I dunno, like that bloke off of the Green Mile? Seriously it looks like he can knock people over just by turning round or swat them down like flies with a flick of the wrist.

It's a shame really, I reckon he could have had the potential to be one of the legendary strikers of the past decade but something somewhere isn't quite right.

He's not really got a nasty streak though, which I think what the op is getting at.

If you're just talking about size and strength then Soto's got to be a shout if you're looking at current players. Since he signed for us, I can't think of a striker that's got the better of him physically and that includes Carew; he dominated Carew all game when we played Stoke the other week.

Agree regarding Carew's unfulfilled potential though. At times he looks unplayable but he goes missing too often.

Caporegime
lol at arsenal fan boy who said keane got owned. I remember when Viera was having a go at G.Nev in the tunnel and Keane went mad, Bergkamp had to ask Keane to leave him alone please and turned around and told Viera it was going to be okay as Viera backed off into a corner. Or something like that ;)

Ooops... Embedded the vid but it has swearies so...

It's on YouTube anyway.

Associate
John Terry? He's forever putting his body on the line.
Ben Thatcher for just being a nasty ****.

But number 1 has to be Big Dunc. Everyone feared him.

Man of Honour
Norman Hunter
Chopper Harris
Denis Smith
Billy Bremner

Virtually every team had one in the 60s and early 70s that would frighten Vinnie Jones.

This. "hard" tackles these days are relatively few and far between because of the ramifications of them. These guys went in crazily hard, match in , match out. At times they were more like street thugs in a fight than footballers, as DMpoole says, these guys would eat the modern "hard footballer" alive.

Man of Honour
Norman Hunter
Chopper Harris
Denis Smith
Billy Bremner

Virtually every team had one in the 60s and early 70s that would frighten Vinnie Jones.

I wouldn't really say Bremner. Don't get me wrong, he had a bt of steel in him, but he wasn't a Hunter or Harris (from what I've heard and seen recordings of, anyway). Joe Jordan deserves a mention.

But in a fight who would win between say...Patrice Evra and Norman Hunter? I'd say Evra hands down.

IIRC Evra was a street fighter before he was a footballer, but that doesn't make him a 'hard footballer'.

Most amateur players would be harder than the hardest footballers these days. They're used to a more physical game. They just don't have the quality.

FWIW I don't think Evra is close to being a hard footballer. Neither was Keane, he was just a thug.

Recent footballers have to be something like Big Dunc, Terry and Adams. Honourable mention to Terry Butcher :D

Man of Honour
But in a fight who would win between say...Patrice Evra and Norman Hunter? I'd say Evra hands down.

In a fight it would be whomever kicked the other in the nuts the first who wins. Maybe that'd be Evra, maybe it'd be Hunter, but essentially the important move in winning would be the first to kick as hard as possible in the nuts and then continue kicking them in the nuts while they are down until severe damage is done. Not really any way to know which one of those two would be first to do that, my money would be on Hunter though because he is dirtier :D

Back
Top Bottom