Has Jose Mourinho lost it?

Soldato
Mourinho won two cups last season, its worth remembering that for all the guff he gives and the criticism he gets, he still won two trophies including a European cup.

Soldato
In fairness it took Ferguson a few years and a shed load of cash to win the title, also there was a bit of luck signing Cantona which by chance was the final missing piece of the puzzle. I say give the guy a chance

Soldato
Compete for the league against a team that has drawn once and not lost?

Very difficult to compete with that.

Who United played last season to win XYZ cup is irrelevant, they won them..Liverpool,City, Arsenal etc didnt.

Soldato
We have got Mourinho for one more year and we need to back him.

Ferguson left our club's squad without a future, and it has taken three managers with differing visions and associated panic (Moyes) of chucking money around to try and get some balance returned at Old Trafford.

Mourinho has given us that and whoever takes over from him will be handed a better squad than the one that Ferguson handed Moyes.

Ok it has taken an absolute shed load of money and it will take a shed load more to get a team that CAN challenge.

I have been lucky as a United supporter but the league now is so different to where it was when we were dominating. We usually only ever had two or maybe three 'equals' in the league during most of Ferguson's time. Now you can probably double that and that and my confidence has gone.

To get back to the original point though.

Do I have faith in Mourinho? Yes, but he isnt the Mourinho that Chelsea hired in 2004, and he isnt the Mourinho that Inter Milan and Real Madrid had. His second spell at Chelsea changed him.......

Associate
Mourinho wins trophys, he did that last year and it's a very good achievement. But as a neutral , I'm just fed up of his moaning every time bout everything. He never remotely seems happy to be in charge of one of the biggest footballing teams ever.

I do think the board should look to a manager who looks happy and maybe brings back the identity to utd.

Caporegime
The last time Mourinho did something remarkable was that inter team, I’d likely need to rewatch their CL run again but the two games against Barca were seriously impressive.

Since then he’s done nothing that you wouldn’t expect with the finances available (and even the inter period was during the whole Juve scandal right?)

Don
I’d likely need to rewatch their CL run again but the two games against Barca were seriously impressive.

The amount of luck Inter had in those 2 games were seriously impressive that's for sure. IIRC, in the first leg Barca had 2 clear pens not given and one of Inter's goals was 5 yards offside and then Barca had a perfectly good winning goal ruled out in the 2nd leg.

Caporegime
The amount of luck Inter had in those 2 games were seriously impressive that's for sure. IIRC, in the first leg Barca had 2 clear pens not given and one of Inter's goals was 5 yards offside and then Barca had a perfectly good winning goal ruled out in the 2nd leg.

I must be mistaken, I remember inter not playing typical pathetic mouball in the first leg.

Second leg is impressive given Busquets, but Barca seemingly struggle vs 10men teams in knockouts :p

Man of Honour
OP
For me it's not so much the results, but the football on the pitch and atmosphere around the club. And no, it isn't typical Mourinho, it looks like typical Moyes Utd now. Thoroughly depressing.

It's seriously starting to feel like it did with LvG too, indifferent about results, expecting to be bored by performances. Dull.

From day one Mourinho hasn't looked happy, and as the weeks go by, his position looks more and more untenable. But we shall see, January may present a chance to improve things, if this continues then something more drastic will need to be done...

Ollie Holt has done an article blaming Woodward and Glazers and defending Mourinho: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5223501/Woodward-know-like-Mourinhos-enemy.html

If what's being said is true then you'd have to sympathise with Mourinho but it really doesn't look like the purse strings are that tight. You don't need to spend £90m on Pogba's and similar on Lukaku's to secure top 4.

Soldato
If what's being said is true then you'd have to sympathise with Mourinho but it really doesn't look like the purse strings are that tight. You don't need to spend £90m on Pogba's and similar on Lukaku's to secure top 4.
Well considering Ed wouldn't get Peresic over the line in the summer because he was too expensive suggests otherwise.

Since before Fergie left the majority of the time the squad has rarely had a proper 1st XI, Utd have had 3 or 4 big stars and the rest are pretty average squad players.
There are always going to be transfers that don't always work out, and that's the nature of the beast but when you only get 3 or 4 purchases done every summer (and rarely anything in the winter) that's only going to allow for 2 or 3 new additions after you have replaced the one that didn't work the summer before - or even the summer before that. Moyes buys are practically non existant for the last 18 months, and LvG's that are still here are average at best. That's even before some of JM's transfers which have been a bit hit and miss also.

A club the size of Utd is never going to have the squad quality required from the starting position Fergie left it in with that number of transfers every year.

Admittedly the injury crisis we appear to have every season doesn't help, even after investing millions in the medical equipment at Carrington in the last couple of years.

I'm not expecting 6 absolute ready-made superstars every season - but the way the squad has turned out for the last 6 years, 2 - 3 ready made stars (or at least ready to step into a senior role), and three more that might need a year or two to come to fruition is desperately needed to compete right at the top. Even if that means retiring / selling the same amount.

edit

In reference to top 4 - if Liverpool are spending £75m on a centre half, even before considering anything else they might do in Jan (and they weren't that far behind us in the 1st place) , Spurs despite their blip in Nov have a very good well rounded squad, and Chelsea are fighting us already tooth and nail for 2nd (and rumours they will bring in re-enforcements also) and they didn't spend that much less on Morata in the 1st place.

Its really not inconceivable Utd need at least two if not three additions to be ready to go immediately to have a chance at top 4 - and players ready to go will always cost more than prospects. (unless the club finds out of contract players, but they are out of contract for a reason - and therefore a different type of risk).

Its better than it was, but of course it doesn't help that Utd are still paying £45mish a year on the Glazer debt

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
According to the latest reports Jose and the club are in more advanced discussions regarding a contract extension. I would hope this means Jose has got his own way - money to buy whoever he wants.

Whether he's able to improve players or not, you really have to spend a lot regardless these days.

Man of Honour
OP
His greatest success is Lingard, without a doubt, Pep gets tons of praise for improving Sterling - a £50m player in a much better team - yet Lingard is an academy player. Granted he has to maintain it, but so does Sterling.

It's hard to anticipate really, the board will probably be keen to keep him, from a business sense he has a better track record than any manager we could replace him with. Things will need to keep improving though.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, the argument would be that Guardiola has done it with multiple players, so it’s easier to argue he’s responsible... whereas Mourinho has done it with Lingard... but hasn’t with other high profile players... so was Lingard’s improvement attributable to him?

Well, Ancelotti is available, no? Or poach Poch...

Ancelotti I'm not convinced is the ideal man to rebuild a squad (as still needs doing here despite the money spent). Poch is good I suppose, any excuse to leave Spurs!

Back
Top Bottom