Has the recent post count started to kill MM?

IIRC, I mentioned this possibility when the rules changed. Having no longer got access, I have no idea whether it's turned out that way or not! Wouldn't suprise me though. I maintain that post-count is an awfully blunt tool with which to measure "contribution", and that "contributing" is no guarantee of good behavior in the MM. Either way, I don't much care any more. I guess I'm also fortunate that I've reached a point in my career where I can afford to buy whatever I want, at least where computer parts are concerned, so I don't miss the "bargains". The rules do mean that the MM is deprived of my old gear though...

I’ve sold on the MM once, nowadays I use the Facebook marketplace. Everything I’ve listed on there has sold, sometimes not for over a month until I get the right buyer/price. Buyer collects, no shipping involved.

See plenty of stuff on there which is overpriced, but there are no mugs on Facebook. Get chancers low balling you or scammers but that’s all a part of it.

I thought we were all to be deprived of your presence entirely after your little strop in the last MM thead.

:cry:

I'm flattered you remember! lol

Yeah, wasn't best impressed with some of the attitudes on display then, and I don't imagine it's changed much. Cest la vie.

Last edited:
It may have gotten quieter, but it's certainly removed the leeches who would only read and post in the MM as if to jump on every deal they possibly can.

That screams of entitlement though. Just because a user may have previously posted a lot and had MM access doesn't mean they obtain lifetime access. They have to contribute just as someone who joined yesterday. As others have mentioned above, the required post counts are very low anyway and frankly if someone cannot make the effort to meet those requirements then they are rightly not welcome to use a community resource.

The previous requirements did a decent job for years didn’t they?

I’m not really even arguing for or against I just don’t see forum members who don’t post much still being able to use it as a huge issue.

I think if people pushed more forum activity in general as the main benefit for the change then I’d agree

The previous requirements did a decent job for years didn’t they?

As per the above - No I don't think they did much of a job at all, as unfortunately it didn't prevent leeches from taking advantage of a community resource. Probably wasn't much of an issue with 1 or 2, but it eventually became very obvious when certain members posts solely existed within the MM and refusing to contribute to the community they so claim to support.

I said this from the day it came in, the MM is barely worth it now with this stupid rule.
‘Barely worth it’…..so, you not making as much from it now as you were able to previously ;)

Edit: the MM isn’t somewhere you ‘hang out’ in. It’s somewhere a user occasionally pops into when they are looking to move stuff on or pick something up. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say using it as a supermarket browsing for deals isn’t what it’s meant for.

Last edited:
Never sold that much successfully but MM has got me plenty of useful things over the years and I always feel better dealing with folks on there than I would Facebook or even eBay. As long as you are not offended by the occasional low offer (though usually not silly ones like Facebook) then it’s fine. I even had an issue once with a GPU and the chap was nice enough to take it back no questions asked. I just wish there was more ‘collection’ items down in the south east but like most of the site it’s a bias I think towards the OcUK location, unsurprisingly. The most surprising thing is that this site still hosts and runs it, like many aspects of this forum it reminds me of the better, smaller days of the internet…

I think it's just because people are upgrading less frequently because recent generations of hardware haven't offered enough of a performance increase vs the outlay required.
I think that is a lot of it.

Back in the early 00's you could get a reasonable, and often highly noticable improvement in speed pretty much every 6 months, often without changing your motherboard etc.
These days unless you're gaming at very high levels of details or effects you might not really feel the need to upgrade for years, I had my old PC for about 10 years with just updating the video card twice (mid range cards) and when I retired it, it still played pretty much every new game at least at 1080p on mid settings.

Agree on that - MM plus some bits from OcUK was my normal upgrade path as a student, usually every 6 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom