Has the recent post count started to kill MM?

You must have found a different Facebook marketplace to the one I know!
I dunno, I just list stuff with a good description and pictures for a reasonable price and someone comes and collects it and gives me cash. /shrug

literally facebook marketplace is a cesspit and full of fake accounts
Fake accounts aren’t really an issue for me, scam listings are usually obviously a scam.

Sure you get the odd message from a scammer but they are obviously dodgy, just ignore them.

Do you mean the 2FA? The thing that expires every 90 days?
Yes, exactly that. I've got a great deal of experience in UX and especially around login on apps and services used by millions of people - and I could tell you some great examples of how much drop off you get by logging people out/expiring log ins. "It's just 90 days" or "You just have to type in a code" is just a great example of not knowing how users work in the real world and the kind of thing clueless product managers with zero experience would say.

Last edited:
not knowing how users work in the real world and the kind of thing clueless product managers with zero experience would say.
Sounds like the kind of thing that someone who doesn't have a clue about security would say. :rolleyes:

90 days is at least a compromise between requiring 2FA on the account, and not having it nag at every log in. It takes literally 5 more seconds to login.

Less stuff is being sold but I couldn’t say that is due to the change or something else.

I’ve been keeping an eye on it over the past couple weeks as I’m building a new machine and honestly nothing really came up.

I do my fair share to keep MM full of goodies :D

@dave28 you seem to buy a lot of hardware, especially GPUs, what’s the deal there? Always been curious.

I'd agree with those saying that there is less need to upgrade these days, which means people are offloading fewer "old" items.

That could explain a lower frequency of items offered (though I don't know for sure that is true).

I treat MM as a nice bonus to the entertainment I get from GD.

I'll swear mine is every month.
I'm going to make a note next time I'm asked on a device.

It'll be 90 days per device so if, like me, you have multiple devices which you use to browse the insanity which is Overclockers, then you'll be asked to authenticate multiple times.

or

The Dons have reduced your authentication period for some unknown reason :D

I'll swear mine is every month.
I'm going to make a note next time I'm asked on a device.
Glad I'm not the only one who has a suspicion it's more frequent than every three months. Even taking into account I have several devices to authenticate, they should all be roughly about the same time and that doesn't seem to happen. Once a month sounds about right to me as well.

Less stuff is being sold but I couldn’t say that is due to the change or something else.

I’ve been keeping an eye on it over the past couple weeks as I’m building a new machine and honestly nothing really came up.

I do my fair share to keep MM full of goodies :D

@dave28 you seem to buy a lot of hardware, especially GPUs, what’s the deal there? Always been curious.

Dave 'lowball' 28
I've wondered that too. Sometimes makes me think that there's some kind of resale profit margin to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly that. I've got a great deal of experience in UX and especially around login on apps and services used by millions of people - and I could tell you some great examples of how much drop off you get by logging people out/expiring log ins. "It's just 90 days" or "You just have to type in a code" is just a great example of not knowing how users work in the real world and the kind of thing clueless product managers with zero experience would say.

If you work in the UX space have you got some examples of where 2FA has been implemented well?

You're mocking the "just type in a code" aspect, but that's a pretty fundamental part of 2FA. I'd much rather that than 'oh we've sent you a link to login to your email'. The beauty of just requiring a code is that a password manager takes care of that for you. IMO that makes the experience seamless.

But I'm genuinely interested in those examples.

I've always taken the MM with peaks and troughs. November to Jan is always very quiet, presumably everyone is saving for Christmas or not making big splurge purchases so the 2nd hand market is quiet for example.

Run up to product launches normally sees a good flurry of activity, Apple/GPU/CPU gen launches etc. always reinvigorates things for a while as people tend to clear out a load of stuff at the same time.

Biggest problem I have is just about everything is upgraded, or nor worth upgrading any further for my needs. First world problems yo.

I've been a member for 20 years (absolutely crazy) and there was an extended period where I used Reddit instead but for the last year I've come to absolutely hate Reddit and found myself coming back here. Where for the most part people are just normal(ish).

MM is still as good as it ever was tbh, and I think the idea behind the post count is a good one. The only way places like this survive is by having users!

I sold a scooter on FBMP last September-ish. Listed it for £2250 and eventually got £2k for it. Took about two weeks. The problem was all the absolute stupidity and entitlement I had to deal with along the way. There was even one guy who showed some interest, and then went quiet. And then showed some interest again a few days later. Then went quiet, then showed interest again the next day. This went on for two weeks. Kept asking questions and trying to argue with the answers I gave him. I eventually twigged that he simply didn't have the funds but kept asking questions as he was most likely drunk. That was the worst one as it wasted the most time, but the idiots offering £1k were a plenty.

Words can not describe how much I detest the knuckle dragging, window licking, lowballing, chancing, swap-for-xboxing, illiterate, neck tattooed, white trainers, benefits claiming, uneducated filth that I find on Facebook Marketplace.

I used to upgrade every 2-3 years and would sell things mostly within a day of listing.

This time I went 7 years without a major upgradge and some parts didn't sell and I had to sell externally. Likewise I found it difficult to find some parts I wanted.

But this doesn't mean it's down to the access rules - If others have done the same as me and left it much longer to upgrade then of course those parts won't be as popular as something only 2-3 years old......

I think with the prices of things now, big PC upgrades are a much longer term investment, whereas 15 years ago it was much more affordable to be able to do a high end upgrade every 2 or 3 years. Now that just isn't feasable for the money you spend even if you are a top revenue earner!

Back
Top Bottom