Has the recent post count started to kill MM?

They do count towards the MM 90-day threshold though (I think)
Indeed they do, but not toward the user's forum post count, which is how I still have access to the MM.

I'm neutral on the recent changes. Dealing with a certain user who signed up in the early 2000s with lots of recent activity (but a relatively low post count) turned out to be a rather horrible experience.

You need to buy on the MM and get feedback before selling here, otherwise members are ultra paranoid, even if you're just trying to sell a relatively low value item and are doing all you can to reassure them, giving personal details, etc.

Ultimately I find just selling on eBay during a 0 final value fee period gets you far more £££ with far less drama.

I can only hope it's better as a buyer, but so far I've not seen anything on the MM I want that has actually been a bargain and tempted me.

Last edited:
Kill would be a slight exaggeration but I have noticed it does seem to be a bit slower than it used to be
Probably down to less enthusiasm in general around the PC market lately, people are keeping hardware for longer and upgrading less.

Do they still do these? I haven't seen one since they adjusted the fees. Maybe I've lost the notifications.
Hope they do. Admittedly I haven't seen one for a long while, but think I only usually noticed such offers when checking the Bay's homepage.

I thought that GD posts didn't increase post count to stop people spamming to keep their access to MM? I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
I remember being reassured that I could keep my MM access alive just by posting on general discussion, and this seems to have been the case.

I thought that GD posts didn't increase post count to stop people spamming to keep their access to MM? I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
GD and IIRC SC & testing do not increase your post counter, but they do count for MM if you have hit the point where you've got it.

Every post on the forum has a unique ID number that doesn't change regardless of if posts are deleted or moved etc, you'll see it on the upper left of any post. For example this post is #168 in the thread and post number #37322203 on the forum, so the forum links all your posts to your account even if some don't add to the number under your avatar, and then checks how many of the posts linked to your account are within the time frame required and it totally ignores the visible post count for that.

Basically the forum counts all your posts, but it can be set so the post counter only increments in some sections of the forum, and the initial access to MM is linked to that visible post number, whilst retaining access uses the non visible counter and date stamps.

Last edited:
This thread would not exist if everyone thought that everything was "fine". There are enough folks showing concern to, in turn, cause some level of consternation at the mod level, if not the commercial level.

What can I say, people love to whinge.

I think the bigger problem is that the real good deals always seem to get snapped up by the same few people within minutes of going live.

It's a bit of a shame for me. I spend a lot of time reading the OCUK forums (every day) but rarely post. I also used MM semi regularly. I feel like I'd be forced to post pointless stuff if I want access back.

It's a bit of a shame for me. I spend a lot of time reading the OCUK forums (every day) but rarely post. I also used MM semi regularly. I feel like I'd be forced to post pointless stuff if I want access back.
I think the word you are looking for is contribute.

You're 3 or 4 posts away from having access on the rolling count, surely across the entire forum there's 3 or 4 things you can find that you'd like to contribute to?

I'm not sure I have much to contribute.
Contributing can just be chatting about stuff.

If you're interested enough in some topics that you read the forums most days I'm sure you could chat about them.

It doesn't need to be world changing or ground breaking, most of my posts I reckon are pretty much waffling. :)

Back
Top Bottom