Hayfever - Thread

Soldato
You realise that (despite the name) hay-fever isn't actually caused by hay? Cutting the grass frequently will actually reduce pollen as it doesn't get a chance to flower.
There's a family who back onto my bedroom and they never mow their lawn. It has some tall yellow flowers which are probably causing the symptoms. They don't keep the house nice. They are the sort who kept an old fridge at the back of their home for 2.5 years before shifting it.

Soldato
i get hay fever pretty bad every year, today seems to be the start of the hay fever nightmare, i haven't had any issues till this morning, woke up and my eyes and nose are a mess.
Same here, just couldn't shift it all day. Nose sprays and eye drops normally anothetz didn't do a thing!
Took a tablet tonight, seems to have calmed it.
Tablets it is now!

Soldato
Feeling worse last few days, maybe a bit of tree and grass pollen overlap?

On the plus side, next door's massively overgrown willow tree which I'm convinced has been a big issue for me for ~10 years, might be getting the chop! :cool:

Soldato
Same here, just couldn't shift it all day. Nose sprays and eye drops normally anothetz didn't do a thing!
Took a tablet tonight, seems to have calmed it.
Tablets it is now!
It'll calm down for couple of days until you get another hit of pollen. Havn't been able to get to the chemists lately and I finally found a pack of tablets I knew I had I'm so happy. Got a fair bit of mowing to do saturday I think I'll be wearing a face mask

Man of Honour
High pressure which has been sitting over the UK last couple of weeks seems to be making it bad for people at the moment - all my colleagues who get it have it bad and couple of people who don't normally get it have symptoms of it.

Associate
I've been using Beconase 8 in 1 nasal spray. Once in the morning, once in the evening, and that seems to be hugely helping. I've got some anti-allergy eye spray from boots which also really helps with the eyes.

Claritin messed with my mood too much and made me a right grumpus.

Man of Honour
Been slamming loratadine since March, although don't usually get symptoms until May. Been OK until the last few days! I did miss one a tab or two over the last couple of weeks... This shouldn't have any real effect right? I've googled but it's one of those things that seems not ungoogleable, but close to it.

Sgarrista
Commissario
This shouldn't have any real effect right?

Nope, loratadine is at its peak effectiveness 2 hours after taking, works for 8-10 hours and then basically useless and completely eliminated from the body about 28 hours later. Theres no build up or similar so missing a dose just means on that day you are potentially gonna suffer.

In terms of hayfever, ive been taking loratadine in the morning and then topping up with acrivastine in the afternoon on really bad days. Has been a bad couple of weeks, probably worsened by the council mowing everything to peices in the last week. Just need a good downpour to dampen everything down.

Man of Honour
Nope, loratadine is at its peak effectiveness 2 hours after taking, works for 8-10 hours and then basically useless and completely eliminated from the body about 28 hours later. Theres no build up or similar so missing a dose just means on that day you are potentially gonna suffer.
Ah. That'll explain it then. You'd think I'd have worked this out by now, alas no :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Never suffered from this affliction before in my 38 years on this planet. Despite the rest of my family being crippled by it annually. However, this spring/summer, it has been kicking my ass, always seem to feel stuffy, stingy eyes, sneezy. Sleep is suffering and hate physing outdoors. Pitriteze seems to be working for me, but I'm sad that its actually hitting me after all these years.

Back
Top Bottom