Hazro 24" S-IPS, micro review + chat

Soldato
perhaps the cables...are better run in.

Argh...unless you're plugged in with VGA (and even then) that's tosh. A DVI cable passes 1's and 0's and cannot be affected over short distances (which is why monster cables are not worth it unless you're doing 50m+ runs at which point the s/n ratio of their cable helps things over cheaper generic brands but not PQ wise, just actually getting a signal with no drop-outs).

Worth noting though - my wife preferred the look of my old Dell to the Hazro! go figure!

PQ or presentation looks?

Associate
Argh...unless you're plugged in with VGA (and even then) that's tosh. A DVI cable passes 1's and 0's and cannot be affected over short distances (which is why monster cables are not worth it unless you're doing 50m+ runs at which point the s/n ratio of their cable helps things over cheaper generic brands but not PQ wise, just actually getting a signal with no drop-outs).

PQ or presentation looks?

I'm using DVI but I'm sure you're in the camp that says cables don't make a difference to hifi. I disagree and have tried many a digital cables and music do sound different. Likewise, I use a QED Scart on my TV in the lounge and see improvements. I also use a a spare 'hifi' power cable to feed my Hazro and I see further subtle improvements.

Wife likes the physical look of the Dell more - not PQ.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using DVI but I'm sure you're in the camp that says cables don't make a difference to hifi. I disagree and have tried many a digital cables and music do sound different. Likewise, I use a QED Scart on my TV in the lounge and see improvements. I also use a a spare 'hifi' power cable to feed my Hazro and I see further subtle improvements.

Wife likes the physical look of the Dell more - not PQ.

I don't doubt you see a difference on the Scart as it's analogue, the only place (apart from with long runs on digital) that pricey cables make a difference, better s/n ratio means less noise in the picture, easy as.

Digital cabling is sending 1's and 0's, that's it, now, if you have a REALLY bad quality cable those 1's and 0's may get garbled, but that's where error correction in various line protocols comes in, aha you may say, that means that a better cable would have no errors and be better! Not so fast, these error correction systems are able to ascertain (through clever mathematics) the intended bit; if they can't then you get signal drop-outs rather then PQ degredation. In long runs this is exacerbated and thus a high-quality cable will help here (and only here).

And as for a hifi power cable, remember it's feeding a low-cost Li-Shin power brick...take from that statement what you will.

So to recap: Good quality cables for analogue = good investment (up to a point, and that's considerably less than some of these $7000 per metre cables), good quality cables for digital = good over long distances, no-name brand DVI cable that came with the monitor = fine for the metre or so the digital signal must travel.

At the end of the day though, it's all about how happy we are with purchases, if you feel it makes a difference to your enjoyment who am I to rain on your parade? :)

Associate
I know lots of 'science' folks feel strongly what would and what will not work. I'm not scientific and just go by my ears and eyes.

I have tried various 1m digtal cables between my DAC & transport and they do impart different sonic characteristics. That goes with my analogue interconnects but the biggest effect are always on the power side.

I have used / own / tried cables up to £2k per meter. They all sound different, whether you like the difference and whether you think £2k is worth it is an entirely different matter.

Myself, I hear/see benefits but in moderation. £2k is waaay too rich for me.

Man of Honour
OP
Just a quick survey, how many of you Hazro 24" owners have observed and reported the DPMS issue? just wanted to have a quick chat with you on MSN/googlechat tonight if that's ok to find out a few things ?

robbiekhan(at)gmail.com or email(at)robbiekhan.co.uk cheers!

Associate
Oh thats such a nice looking screen MRK!

But whats all this calibrating stuff? Can a newb do it?

I'm researching into what screen I should get for my new computer build in the summer. And the HAZROs are looking good.
My bro has Samsung SM-245B 24" - its an OKAY screen, but I would like something better. More importantly viewing angles.

BON

Soldato
Calibrating is fairly painless (well, except for the upfront costs!) and mostly involves following instructions you see on the screen.

You need to buy a device called a colorimeter which you put on the screen (after both have "warmed up"). The colorimeter measures the colours output by the screen and makes changes to your graphics card (or for expensive monitors and colorimiters the actual monitor) look-up table so that the colours you see are correct.

You can get colorimeters from around the £100.00 (for a halfways decent one), Badass has some good reviews on TFT Central.

Man of Honour
OP
It's worth noting you can get the Eye-One Display2 for around £135 which is what I paid for mine recently without much hassle at all and I'd highly recommend it over a Spyder2 (had one) due to the manual control and reporting features available in the software as well as the ability to use other software with the EyeOne probes down the line!

That's not to say the Spider2 is bad of course, it's certainly not bad at all but for the price you pay for the Spyder you get exactly what you pay for (low price for low control!)

Last edited:
Associate
What if I don't wish to calibrate the HAZRO... will it still be better than my bros Samsung SM-245B..... I just want something plug and play to be honest, plus good viewing angles.

Man of Honour
OP
The faults are set to be fixed very soon so it's up to you whether you wait the next 5~ weeks or so for the revisions to be implemented or get a 24" / 26" now and then contact Hazro/OcUK for a swapout when the fix goes live.

The faults are not related to IQ or performance, they are more compatibility issues with Vista and MAC OS so you should be fine I would say if you get into the hang of manually powering it down on the front instead of relying on DPMS to kick in.

Personally if I were to be buying first time I would wait for the fix to be set in place just to save the hassle for both parties to arrange a time slot for a swapout and everything - saves headache and this way you will know you're getting a virtually 100% problem free panel after those of us who have one already have been labrats to the first revision :p

Back
Top Bottom