Hazro 24" S-IPS, micro review + chat

Soldato
Got my one today, just had a quick play about and it is very good. Not as good as my NEC 26" one at home but still very impressive. Love the look of it, the Aluminium finish is just stunning.

I do think it needs calibrating as does my NEC so what would you guys recommended for that? Do they just do monitors or could I used it to do my Pioneer Plasma as well? Preferably something that could do both.

Man of Honour
OP
HCFR will do your normal LCD TV via a colorimeter such as Eye-One Display device connected to a PC or you could just use it normally if it connects via VGA/HDMI/DVI as the software that comes with the hardware will just adjust the gfx card LUT for that screen.

I use the above device with Eye-One Match and get good results with dE values below 1.0

Soldato
Cheers for that mrk, I will look into that. Have you used the LaCie Blue eye pro calibrator? Read about that in the past and it seemed to be the best one, is that still the case? Seems a bit pricey compared to the others though.

Also how are you finding your Hazro? When you did calibrate it did it make a huge difference?

Man of Honour
OP
If you're photo editing then yes every screen will have a big difference after calibration :p but if you're using it mainly for movies/games and web surfing then the difference is small/normal from what you'd expect from a calibration device of any sort :p

The Blue Eye pro is indeed said to be the best tool purely because it has the Blue Eye Pro software and this is what you're paying for because the hardware device isn't that costly at all and not really any different (if at all) to the Eye one Display 2.

The Eye One software is pretty good though and Hazro are releasing their own Calibration suite that should work with these probes just fine but give better reporting and features than the standard software (discounting blue eye pro software of course)

Mine is just fine though, no issues at all from gaming to movies, blacks are black and thanks to calibration the black details are still retained without being washed out. I'm looking forward to the new AD board as it's got a much betters scaling chip so should get slightly better IQ all round!

Soldato
If you're photo editing then yes every screen will have a big difference after calibration :p but if you're using it mainly for movies/games and web surfing then the difference is small/normal from what you'd expect from a calibration device of any sort :p

The Blue Eye pro is indeed said to be the best tool purely because it has the Blue Eye Pro software and this is what you're paying for because the hardware device isn't that costly at all and not really any different (if at all) to the Eye one Display 2.

The Eye One software is pretty good though and Hazro are releasing their own Calibration suite that should work with these probes just fine but give better reporting and features than the standard software (discounting blue eye pro software of course)

Mine is just fine though, no issues at all from gaming to movies, blacks are black and thanks to calibration the black details are still retained without being washed out. I'm looking forward to the new AD board as it's got a much betters scaling chip so should get slightly better IQ all round!

hehe well I'm not doing any photo editing and it is more of a general all round screen rather than anything else but you have given a link in another thread to test the black levels and I'm not getting the same results as yourself so I feel it might need a bit of tweaking but I get a lot better results on my NEC. Will look into these calibrators more carefully in the next few days before deciding, that Lacie one does interest me but doesn't seem readily available and do I really need to spend £200 on something that won't make a huge difference? Not about the money but I'm not so keen on wasting it on things that will hardly make a difference.

I didn't know they were gonna put new scalers in. When I sent them an email a few weeks back they told me they would have a firmware fix for the Vista problem in June, in July HDCP on the 26" first and the others in the coming months, height adjustable stand would be something in approx July you need to buy it extra, 12 bit LUT in December on the 26" first and I'd assume others to follow. Very good monitor with great potential but seem to have left a fair few things out or left them too late, guess with the company not being huge they weren't gonna get everything right on the first go, even bigger companies have had problems.

Man of Honour
OP
I would not say too late, this is revision 1 of the 24" (in fact all of them :p) so it's still very early.

Companies like Dell need to go through several revisions and even ditch one model entirely and release another then that new model has issues which need fixing so in a broader sense these small issues with the Hazro are minimal compared to the facepalm worthy issues people have seen on competing brands and none of them have been as one to one with those of us who reported these issues early on and kept us in the loop from time to time about them!

Dell still can't even get it right in any of the "high end" models out in 24", 27" and 30" !

Soldato
Thought the HDCP and Vista issues are quite major unlike others who seem to have other technical issues. Like you say though most companies don't get it right first time.

Also do you reckon the Lacie calibrator would be worth the ~£100 extra compared to the eye one 2? Looking at TFTcentral the Lacie does perform better but not exactly a huge difference. Surely the software can't be that much better, surely this software can be "found" elsewhere ;)

Sorry for all the questions as well, probably starting to annoy you now :)

Man of Honour
OP
It's onlye worth the +£100 extra if you want the extra reporting features of the software as this is where the extra cash is going.

Both calibrators (well all 3 inc the Heuy Pro) give similar results when calibrated using the advanced modes where available from what I have learnt and the blue eye pro and eye-one display 2 are the same probes just different software.

HDCP and Vista issues are not major issues. HDCP can be bypassed 2 ways very easily and the Vista issue can be minimised by turning off screen manually. These are both fixed in the revised screen.

The only bummer though was HDMI but that's being resolved too.

Soldato
Thanks again, have found the Eye-One 2 for around £130 incl delivery on a famous auction site, would you say that is a reasonable price for it?

Are Hazro just gonna let you swap the monitor for all those features? The Vista thing possibly via a firmware upgrade but the other things you wouldn't be so easy to do.

Man of Honour
OP
Well I can't really comment further at the moment although many people are now aware of most of the changes from the email Hazro sent to someone above - gotta wait few more weeks !

£130 is fine, it's what I paid for mine btw

Associate
I have the Huey Pro and if you're not heavily into photography this may be a more cost effective option. The software offers less tweaking than the Eye 2 but the 'auto' results is pretty much the same quality. Highly recommended.

Associate
Actually I am pretty heavily into photography and use the Huey Pro. The reason is that it works perfectly well with the open source software "argyll" that can make profiles that are far superior to anything else I've seen (£££ Eye one included!). Including 600+ measures ones if you feel like it.
So save your cash here; the sensor in the Huey is very much up to the task, and it fits nicely into a drawer ;)

argyll also allows tweaking of the displayed color temperature for your profile. I never liked the 6400 (too cold) so I use 62K and I'm very happy with the results.

One thing is, there is no 'human interface' clicky way of using it, so be ready to learn a lot more about ICC profiling than you'd really want to know :D

http://www.argyllcms.com

Back
Top Bottom