Hell Let Loose - Console Edition

Soldato
I wondered what airhead was, I kept hearing someone on comms using that word, and just assumed they were calling someone an "airhead" :D. Will have to check some guides.

I will check the guns, Im just playing infantry at the moment to learn the maps and game modes, Is it even possible to change weapons and get attachments unlocked for say an infantry soldier?

There's a bunch of terms you will pick up - Garries (Garrisons), the self-explanatory OPs (outposts), and blueberries - the blue dots denoting the other players around the map (your squad are green); to name a few. There's great info on the HLL subreddit, with a new player guide often pinned as a top post, the one I saw had some cartoons explaining the game, but really well. Other great resources are Youtube - it's a game that needs a bit of research, which I quite like.

Infantry is a great role, there’s no real demands on you, other than slotting people – and you get 20 clips (I think) so plenty of ammo; but you will see that each class has additional unlocks as you rank them up – so the Engineer for example, will get an SMG at something like rank 6, which is a godsend if you hate the Kar 98 rifle like I do!! Along with this, you also unlock some cosmetics too – unforms based on role rank, and helmets/faces based on your overall player rank. Some of the unlocked weapon kits also have different loadouts - so you may lose the engineer wrench, but gain a satchel charge, or lose the rocket launcher but gain mines...

The maps do a pretty good job of feeling fresh, even though you will play them 100s of times – as the game will mix up the direction of battle, and the order/position of objectives, which is pretty cool. The PC version has the Russian front iirc, which I expect the console edition will get at some point, along with all the other goodies – things like new guns, sound effects and vehicles.

As for weapon mods, there are none – the devs played it as close as possible to real life on that, so you see what must have been in general service on both sides, rather than some of the mad red dot sight nonsense COD and BFV have shown players. Hell, there’s even big debates going on as to whether the BAR should get a bipod; as a lot of people say it wasn’t in use during WW2 – I have no idea on that one though

Soldato
Yep, Russian front is on PC :). Glad you're all enjoying it, I'm surprised it's translated to console tbh! It's as down and dirty a PC FPS as I've ever played so it's surprising (and good) to see it working and being enjoyable with a controller.

As has been said the game really suits a different crowd to CoD/BF as well... or at least let's say, a more 'mature' gamer :cry:.

Soldato
There's a bunch of terms you will pick up - Garries (Garrisons), the self-explanatory OPs (outposts), and blueberries - the blue dots denoting the other players around the map (your squad are green); to name a few. There's great info on the HLL subreddit, with a new player guide often pinned as a top post, the one I saw had some cartoons explaining the game, but really well. Other great resources are Youtube - it's a game that needs a bit of research, which I quite like.

Infantry is a great role, there’s no real demands on you, other than slotting people – and you get 20 clips (I think) so plenty of ammo; but you will see that each class has additional unlocks as you rank them up – so the Engineer for example, will get an SMG at something like rank 6, which is a godsend if you hate the Kar 98 rifle like I do!! Along with this, you also unlock some cosmetics too – unforms based on role rank, and helmets/faces based on your overall player rank. Some of the unlocked weapon kits also have different loadouts - so you may lose the engineer wrench, but gain a satchel charge, or lose the rocket launcher but gain mines...

The maps do a pretty good job of feeling fresh, even though you will play them 100s of times – as the game will mix up the direction of battle, and the order/position of objectives, which is pretty cool. The PC version has the Russian front iirc, which I expect the console edition will get at some point, along with all the other goodies – things like new guns, sound effects and vehicles.

As for weapon mods, there are none – the devs played it as close as possible to real life on that, so you see what must have been in general service on both sides, rather than some of the mad red dot sight nonsense COD and BFV have shown players. Hell, there’s even big debates going on as to whether the BAR should get a bipod; as a lot of people say it wasn’t in use during WW2 – I have no idea on that one though

Excellent info, thanks very much.

Soldato
Yep, Russian front is on PC :). Glad you're all enjoying it, I'm surprised it's translated to console tbh! It's as down and dirty a PC FPS as I've ever played so it's surprising (and good) to see it working and being enjoyable with a controller.

As has been said the game really suits a different crowd to CoD/BF as well... or at least let's say, a more 'mature' gamer :cry:.

It certainly feels like a mature FPS, and right up my alley really - I might sound like a grumpy old man; but I wince when I see weapon skins that look like a 90s super soaker, and cliche (and unbelievable) characters.

It's nice to play a game that just feels gritty and true to the subject material, a game where you are just another number potentially heading into the meat grinder, as that just makes the heroic moments (though scarce) feel that bit more special.

It's also great on a pad - though it does indeed lack a bit of fidelity on the aiming front, it forces you to actually try to aim, so landing a shot on a moving target at 200m or so, actually feels like an accomplishment. A sense of achievement EA would say :D

The heptic feedback is also lovely, which is why I refuse to turn it off - I don't care if it affects aim slightly; it feels great pulling the trigger and feeling it.

Soldato
It certainly feels like a mature FPS, and right up my alley really - I might sound like a grumpy old man; but I wince when I see weapon skins that look like a 90s super soaker, and cliche (and unbelievable) characters.

I'm in a clan on PC and the only interview/check on application is that you're not a child - both age and maturity - and I think the average age amongst members is about 35. There's definitely a lot of vets that play as well.

Soldato
I'm in a clan on PC and the only interview/check on application is that you're not a child - both age and maturity - and I think the average age amongst members is about 35. There's definitely a lot of vets that play as well.

I did notice that, had a few games with guys who claimed to either be serving, or had been - they certainly knew their stuff and talked the talk; you end up sitting there in stunned silence at times :)

Soldato
This thread is getting me interested in the game.

How is the population on Xbox?

I believe that crossplay is between PS5 and Xbox, if so, then there is a healthy amount of people playing.

It's well worth a purchase imo, just ensure you watch a bunch of the guides on YouTube, and don't get disheartened by how easy it is to die, sometimes out of nowhere it seems :)

Soldato
I think this is a good game, I just found matches a bit long, and as much as its a good thing, sometimes I just can't be bothered to use a headset for voice chat, which I know is important in this game and a lot of players get really fussy about it if your not using comms.
These are just some reasons I haven't played for quite a while, is this still the case or is it more accessible now, is it fine to play without comms?

Soldato
I think this is a good game, I just found matches a bit long, and as much as its a good thing, sometimes I just can't be bothered to use a headset for voice chat, which I know is important in this game and a lot of players get really fussy about it if your not using comms.
These are just some reasons I haven't played for quite a while, is this still the case or is it more accessible now, is it fine to play without comms?
You can certainly play without comms - I often do so after my daughter has gone to bed, it just makes it harder to organise with your squads is all, and to be fair, comms is quite a big part of the game; I wouldn’t go as far as saying this is a “milsim” but it certainly rewards people playing more seriously/interactively with the rest of the team/squad.

As for games going on for ages – believe it or not, that can actually be a by-product of people not being on comms; as it’s hard for a Commander or SL to make plans of attack, and ensure that points get capped. Iirc the longest match time is an hour and a half (thereabouts), but I have seen those matches be done in a little over 20 minutes with teams all working on comms – it’s a sight to behold really. But if everyone is mute, then you find it is often an hour+ long slog to try and win, and it can become a chore.

Soldato
I loved this on the pc, so bought it for the ps5. The stuttering was bad though!
Has this been resolved at all? as I'm getting bored of insurgency! lol
Thanks
Only stuttering I've ever had on PS5, is the rubber banding in vehicles - but it's ping related; if I get in a game and my ping is 80 or less, I don't get it. But as I often play in the evening, I'm getting 100+ pings (on a 500 Meg connection BTW).

Soldato
Yeah, I'm still on it most days - cheeky go whilst work is quiet, or the odd evening if the Wife is doing something else. Noticed quite a drop in people on Comms the last few weeks mind, not too sure why - maybe with it being on offer (on PSN) it's a new uptake of players

Soldato
Remote installed it during the night. Gave it a blast just now. Going to take some time to get used to the controller again.

So, ocuk clan/Unit/squad? is there one for the consoles? Would love to join up with fellow forum members. I have headset with mic.

Whats the deal with adding friends? I see I log in with my Xbox gamer tag (sharples1975, if you want to add me-make sure you message saying who you are as I have my kids on my account, dont want to delete random request I dont know). I know I can change my ingame name, but I see something about Team17 friends list. If people are added to that under the ingame name and they change, will they still be on that list or what?

Back
Top Bottom