Hello All....Official Gigabyte Support Rep

Associate
I need to update my BIOS from F5 to F8/F9 to get compatibility with my 4790k that just came in today. What is the best method of flashing my Z87X-D3H that doesn't require a flash drive / floppy disk?

Caporegime
I need to update my BIOS from F5 to F8/F9 to get compatibility with my 4790k that just came in today. What is the best method of flashing my Z87X-D3H that doesn't require a flash drive / floppy disk?

you have your old chip? you can use @BIOS but be sure you download the latest version off gigabytes website,its ok for a one off flash,but always flash through qflash and a usb stick

Associate
Still using my 4670k atm, haven't got anything to clean the paste off of my cooler with so can't swap over just yet. Unless you know any good, household items that work for cleaning paste off of the cooler alone? I'll try this QFlash method, assuming I can find a working USB stick

Caporegime
whiskey or petrol ive used in an emergency but make sure you give it time to evaporate afterwards and only use a tiny amount

qflash is easy just extract the bios to the usb stick reboot into bios with it attached and press end or f8 I think it is and point it to the usb/bios file

Associate
QFlash worked a charm, had a 1GB stick lying about from college days, going to raid the drawers to see if I can find any nail polish remover

Associate
Managed to find some nail polish remover, how long should I leave the cooler to dry before applying the new paste on my new CPU? I plan on using the cooler itself to spread the paste across the CPU as that seems to be the best method / most common method I've come across.

Caporegime
fast boot BIOS is set to normal, i've never adjusted that.

Gigabyte board crashed via Prime ............Asus did not, the ASUS doesn't have any of this faulty BIOS either, because in addition to the BIOS missing:-

sleep and hibernate doesn't work either, it's too sensative, it starts up even if you walk past the pc..... you can not put it into sleep mode and then put the mouse/keyboard down, it starts up instantly

finally:- Asus didn't have AVG speed tune and this i'm very suspicious of, because this has loads of start up tuning stuff, SATA tuning...everything.

Firstly you cant blame the board for your mouse being over sensitive if you walk past it and vibrations make it move, I mean seriously?

If you are suspicious of AVG then don't use it, no-one is forcing you to use this.

It sounds like you should do a fresh install of the OS as you have yours filled up with junk.

Soldato
Firstly you cant blame the board for your mouse being over sensitive if you walk past it and vibrations make it move, I mean seriously?

If you are suspicious of AVG then don't use it, no-one is forcing you to use this.

It sounds like you should do a fresh install of the OS as you have yours filled up with junk.

yes i can blame the mobo, because sleep and hibernate worked in Asus and also in ASrock.... i've deleted AVG pc tune, no difference

i've not had Win 8 long enough to be full of junk, this all started two days ago

Caporegime
yes i can blame the mobo, because sleep and hibernate worked in Asus and also in ASrock.... i've deleted AVG pc tune, no difference

i've not had Win 8 long enough to be full of junk, this all started two days ago

I've just tried "sleep" on mine, you actually have to press a mouse button or keyboard to wake it up. Moving the mouse does nothing.

I think you should send it back and get something else that is simpler for you to use.

Soldato
I've just tried "sleep" on mine, you actually have to press a mouse button or keyboard to wake it up. Moving the mouse does nothing.

I think you should send it back and get something else that is simpler for you to use.

i've just tried it, the pc started up as soon as i touched the side of the mouse, i moved it about 3mm to the right, i have no reason to lie at all

Soldato
ok i reuploaded Win 8 from scratch and it's still the same, no bios start up screen, it goes straight into the password page............EXCEPT

no internet connection, i rang up ``talk talk`` and after a long time we found out that a crucial file is missing....my pc is now in the shop for repairs, this isn't Gigabyte related....my pc still downloads ok, but i cant establish an outbound link until this missing file is reinstalled.

Last edited:
Caporegime
its skipping the bios because its either a bios bug/incompatibility with mb and the 7990

that's why its not displaying anything till you reach/load windows,and that's why you can see bios with the igpu

you need to downflash to a previous working mb bios that supports your 7990 outside of windows

Soldato
it's in the shop getting fixed, but if he cant fix it, then i'm going to stick to Easytune......this was a fresh install of Win 8 and also Gigabyte, the BIOS for the mobo is the installation disc, version 1.1, i will not upgrade this because all the later bios that i installed didn't solve this issue either.

Last edited:
Soldato
well as per my other thread, there is no BIOS MENU at start up, the pc flashes instantly into the password page.

you turn on the pc.... it's black screen for 5 seconds and then it shoots straight into the password page

the bios was there for the first day or so, it either vanished due to something speeding up the rig with ``fast boot or instant boot`` or it vanished due to the beta BIOS later on.

pc has has CMOS and Battery turn off, plus another flash BIOS boot, nothing.

but the start up BIOS is there if you use the onboard graphics and remove the GPU.... this is maybe because the start up sequence slows right down.

the pc overclocks fine with Easy Tune.

PC has AVG and AVG Tune Up, but i cant be sure when the start up BIOS screen dissapeared

You realise that most of the booting options are handled by Windows 8 once you've installed and configured it, right? Absolutely nothing to do with the board, if you want to get into the BIOS you have to go to the advanced boot options within Windows and select that when using UEFI. You should probably learn more about what you're using before jumping straight onto the forum, accusing Giga-Man and Gigabyte of supplying sucky products, and then being rather ungracious about the help you've been constantly given by Stulid. Try to learn about what you're doing and what might be going wrong before you start blindly pointing the finger at Gigabyte and others. My Gigabyte board is awesome, I've never had any issues with any I've had from them and their support is great as well.

I also don't understand why your PC is in a shop being repaired after you've just reinstalled Windows. What file do they think is missing that's stopping the internet from working? I don't know what installation of Windows you're using, but if integral stuff like files facilitating network connections and internet access is missing, you've got a seriously dodgy installation of Windows 8.

Soldato
Reading through your other thread, I don't quite understand what your issue is. You don't really go into much detail in there other than echoing in here the same stuff about how your PC boots too fast. What is it that you're trying to do on the PC that you're having all these issues with? If you want to access the BIOS, use the Windows 8.1 interface to restart the PC to the Windows 8.1 boot menu and then select the BIOS option from that. That will allow you to get into the BIOS anytime you need to.

Soldato
this mobo is truly dreadful, the latest fault is this:-

pc wont shut down `` GSmartSwich has stopped working``......i can not shut down the pc via the start menu

control alt delete not working either, it's one disaster after another with this mobo

ok i've deleted it and another Smart feature too, these are from the installation disc, this is pretty bad, Gigabyte should already know about these faults

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading through your other thread, I don't quite understand what your issue is. You don't really go into much detail in there other than echoing in here the same stuff about how your PC boots too fast. What is it that you're trying to do on the PC that you're having all these issues with? If you want to access the BIOS, use the Windows 8.1 interface to restart the PC to the Windows 8.1 boot menu and then select the BIOS option from that. That will allow you to get into the BIOS anytime you need to.

no idea where this is, the mobo is faulty

Soldato
and now the GPU wont work, the pc wont start with the GPU in, it just jamms right up

it's one problem after another, it's non stop, and the help i'm getting here is totally uselees, the mobo just will not run smoothly, the ASUS had none of this.

Back
Top Bottom