• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help for long time existing customer but new to forums

Soldato
they're trying to help - other retailers don't seem to care at all. I am not taking it as a personal insult :D
giphy.gif

Soldato
So you think if somebody is working every day from morning to evening and after when I come home I have no time to chat with others, I don't deserve to buy a graphics card?

So what do you need a graphics card for? You plainly don't have time to use it if you don't even have 5 minutes a day to write a post or two.

Soldato
It's a better system than having no system at all, which would either mean more cards potentially disappear to scalpers.

Also the 1000 post limit and a year minimum time requirement is only steep because you've just joined to try and get access to the vouchers. It works really well for the MM and whilst it doesn't guarantee trust, it does a better job at warding off scammers due to the time required to invest.

If you actually participate it's pretty easy and doesn't feel forced in the amount of discussion going on. All this talk about quality over quantity is moot anyway. I'm pretty sure I read the mods will zero your post count if most of your posts are spammy (or they could ban you) as it's clear who is participating for access, and who is just naturally joining in.

I guess with all the complaining, you lot are nearing your post count requirement for when the 50 post sub forum works. Then again it could be argued that it's all still whiny posts and not contributing to the community :D

Associate
wow, I came back to a lot. I haven't really looked into amd's gpu lineup, but the only way I justified a 30 series would be uni work, and if i remember correctly nvdia gpus has a few features amd's ones dont for some of the software I use (might be totally wrong tho tbh)

Soldato
The voucher system is there to reward active community member many of whom are helping others by fixing problems with hardware or helping them select parts for a new build. 'Loyal customer' might as well be a polite way of saying 'Lazy customers who bother to shop around', it never pays to be loyal to a brand imo.

The last time the voucher deal was posted in the general graphics forum the codes were leaked within 10 mins. When Gibbo posted the latest voucher deal there was an sudden avalanche of new forum members which should surely tell you everything you need to know as to why the codes are hidden away.

Soldato
Ooooh it's soo salty, delicious.

It is! They're basically saying they don't want to be part of the community but they want the voucher. That's fine but then you gotta wait until the staff sort out the lower requirement section.

Also saying "link customer and forum accounts together." is easy when you don't have to actually implement it. There are risks involved (GDPR, security flaws possibly introduced etc.) so any solution linking is far from easy when you have personal data there.

I did have a think of how it would be done and one way would be for a SQL table to be made on the forum database which would add users to the table who qualify for entry (so select the user id, username where the date joined is greater than the minimum time length and the number of posts is greater than the post requirement. Could also make it that they have posted x amount over a certain recent period like 1 year etc to make it for active members).

Then basically that would run periodically updating that table of qualified members, and allow a lookup for the shop software to verify an account can use a voucher.

That would potentially reduce the vouchers to be being used only by members of the forum, as the vouchers right now could be leaked and thankfully it doesn't look like they have been.

It still isn't easy to implement as this is all assuming the shop discount system can validate a voucher based on whether your shop account has a forum account linked. Which is probably why it hasn't been done.

The easiest way would be to use the forum software to allow access and I guess that's what they're doing. However that way doesn't reduce the code getting posted out with the lower requirements, and I have a feeling that's what will happen with the lower requirement section when it's implemented.

Associate
it is a little frustrating, but once all those that meet that requirement have bought their cards ocuk will be able to lower the requirement. at least the scalpers dont get them.

Associate
Hello all. Same here (this is actually my first post in 20 years!) Used to buy speed binned AMD Athlon CPU's from here once upon a time. I've been lurking for a long time especially since I ordered my MSI Gaming X Trio RTX3080 in September (19th/Launch day) - which recently got cancelled due to MSI changing the material of the backplate and swapping X for Z. (aka. discontinued) :( Watched my queue position over the months go from 798 down to 70 in April.

hef

hef

Associate
Really there are many ways to imperfectly skin this cat. All of them will amount to some level shutting out some legitimate gamers that either don't have the post count, haven't been a member long enough or haven't spent enough money in the store. No matter which criteria you choose, someone gets shafted.

There is no perfect solution to this situation but at least they are trying to do something.

Caporegime
Really there are many ways to imperfectly skin this cat. All of them will amount to some level shutting out some legitimate gamers that either don't have the post count, haven't been a member long enough or haven't spent enough money in the store. No matter which criteria you choose, someone gets shafted.

There is no perfect solution to this situation but at least they are trying to do something.

You should post more often than once a year or so. Sensible take on it.

Associate
There are so many self entitled ***** .

I hate the fact that I'm below 1k but I'm mature enough to agree how it is.

I respect Ocuk staff for doing what they do.
Gives u that personal feelings.

Ppl who don't Like it can go to other stores knock on a INTERNET Door and see if u get an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom