Help me with a new build, no budget

Associate
OP
Theres no problem or hassle with a NVME drive unless I suppose you are using an ancient OS.

I made a post in the storage drives thread and someone said some motherboards require a bios update before it can read it

This is a brand new build, so NVME will be main drive, and optical drive will install onto the NVME directly.. I want a fresh install, its half of the fun

Associate
OP
I currently use a cooler master hyper 212 cooler for my pc, was easy to install

Is there anything better out nowadays? No doubt the 7700k runs hotter

Caporegime
A 212 is still ok, new paste will be needed for it.

If it has socket 1150/56/51 brackets then it cann be used onn Z270 boards as they are the same, if you go ryzen and one of the X cpus then you need a cooler that supports AM4.

Soldato
As you were considering the relatively modest but classic 212 cooler have you considered the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU instead of the monolith that is the D14.

There's only a few degrees difference in performance and it's half the size - and unless you're going for an extreme clock it will still keep your CPU frosty and quiet.

I mention it as I have a similar monolith strapped to my present system - Thermalright Silverstone. Yes it keeps things cool but it's a PITA to work around and clean (although the Noctua is easier to fit and fans are easier to move). But, I personally feel, the performance does not warrant the hassle or the weight of massive heatsink - unless you're going to be clocking your system to absolute nth degree.

If you're going for a straight forward clock then the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU will do the job - superior to the classic 212 but not such a hog when it comes to space and you can use whatever blingy memory that you want (although I personally like the plain stuff).

But, don't get me wrong, the D14 is in a class of its own - along with the BeQuiet - for performance but the fact you were considering the 212 you may want to take a look at the NH-U14S as it's a great compromise between size and performance.

Associate
OP
As you were considering the relatively modest but classic 212 cooler have you considered the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU instead of the monolith that is the D14.

There's only a few degrees difference in performance and it's half the size - and unless you're going for an extreme clock it will still keep your CPU frosty and quiet.

I mention it as I have a similar monolith strapped to my present system - Thermalright Silverstone. Yes it keeps things cool but it's a PITA to work around and clean (although the Noctua is easier to fit and fans are easier to move). But, I personally feel, the performance does not warrant the hassle or the weight of massive heatsink - unless you're going to be clocking your system to absolute nth degree.

If you're going for a straight forward clock then the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU will do the job - superior to the classic 212 but not such a hog when it comes to space and you can use whatever blingy memory that you want (although I personally like the plain stuff).

But, don't get me wrong, the D14 is in a class of its own - along with the BeQuiet - for performance but the fact you were considering the 212 you may want to take a look at the NH-U14S as it's a great compromise between size and performance.

sounds perfect, I won't overclock so the size compromise is great for me

Onto the fractal r5, the case fans seem okay, should I keep them or change them?

Soldato
I've done a couple of builds using the r5 case (They're great cases) and have found the fans to be inaudible using the 3 fan speed settings. You can get by using the lowest setting in the winter months and probably the summer too if you're not overclocking coupled with the Noctua.

Or you can set your motherboard to determine minimum speeds and when to crank up the rpm - or just keep them at a fixed % speed - depends on motherboard you're getting and the option it has. Either way - you can set them so they're inaudible/virtually inaudible.

So yes the fans are fine - you can always change them later if you're not happy - easy mod.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
so far I have

16GB RAM ( not specific picked yet )
GTX 1080Ti
Samsung 500gb M.2 EVO
FRACTAL R5
NOCTUA NH-U14S

anyone recommend me a good, quiet and modular PSU?

Soldato
BeQuiet or Super Flower, as you're looking for a quiet setup, within the budget you can afford - 750w ideally unless you plan sli (which i personally think is a waste).

But any quality brand Corsair/seasonic/evga will do the job - I've personally always bought Corsair but will be moving to BeQuiet for my next build due to forum banter.

Associate
sounds perfect, I won't overclock so the size compromise is great for me

Onto the fractal r5, the case fans seem okay, should I keep them or change them?

I like the NZXT Grid+ to control the fans personally, keeps my Fractal whisper quiet whereas other solutions always seemed a bit hit and miss.

HTH

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom