Help me with a new build, no budget

Soldato
You can't go wrong with any of the above that stulid has listed. And I'm in total agreement with the bronze comment - that is a premium price.

Can't go wrong with a Super Flower and they'll still be nice and quiet.

Associate
OP
Ok, here is the build ready to go, final thoughts? pc part picker says "
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled."

i7 7700K
GTX 1080Ti
Gigabyte Intel GA-Z270X-
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Fractal Design Define R5
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Caporegime
Make sure XMP is set in the BIOS so the ram is at the correct speed.

Check your score in Cinebench R15, 3Dmark against others.

Temp is handy to make sure the coolers working and fitted correctly.

Associate
OP
Make sure XMP is set in the BIOS so the ram is at the correct speed.

Check your score in Cinebench R15, 3Dmark against others.

Temp is handy to make sure the coolers working and fitted correctly.

Yeah just noticed Ram is only running at 2133 hz or something when I was installing windows

can you elaborate? I have never changed the XMP before

Soldato
Kaby Lakes tend to idle quite warm so those temps are fine. Don't worry about the different core temps - very common.

What method did you use for applying the thermal paste?

Idle temps, as long as they're not insanely high, are not that important - it's the load temps that really matter.

Once you're content things are running smoothly and drivers updated etc.. try a short 5 minute burst of prime 95 while watching the temps closely.

Associate
OP
Kaby Lakes tend to idle quite warm so those temps are fine. Don't worry about the different core temps - very common.

Idle temps, as long as they're not insanely high, are not that important - it's the load temps that really matter.

Once you're content things are running smoothly and drivers updated etc.. try a short 5 minute burst of prime 95 while watching the temps closely.

I applied a small ball amount in the middle

what temps should I be looking for in prime 95?

I installed NVidia drivers, should I get Microsoft updates too? motherboard update?

Soldato
I applied a small ball amount in the middle

I use the same method - easiest and most effective.

what temps should I be looking for in prime 95?

With your cooler at stock - guessing between 60 to 65 degrees - depends. I would be surprised if it went above 70.

I installed NVidia drivers, should I get Microsoft updates too? motherboard update?

Sure - i use the motherboards and NVidia sites to update their drivers (and manufacturer sites for other hardware) and let Windows do the rest. Each to their own really... Windows is much better than it used to be at updating drivers...

Associate
OP

Ok I ran Prime 95, I went to options > benchmark then ran it

My side panel is off the case, and the fans are set to lowest on fractal r5 fan controller

http://imgur.com/a/c0NdG

Soldato
As above - you need an idea how it runs with the airflow running through the case.

With your next run could you state when you took the image - e.g. taken immediately after run was finished or 7 minutes into run etc...

I'm guessing your last shot was taken immediately after as cores were ~50% under load and dropping?

Soldato
Slightly warmer than i expected at stock but the Kabys do run warm. Try upping the case fans to speed setting 2 and run again.

Remember this is a synthetic test - no game or app is going to stress the chip to this degree so when playing games it will probably be averaging about 60 degrees.

Associate
OP
Slightly warmer than i expected at stock but the Kabys do run warm.

Remember this is a synthetic test - no game or app is going to stress the chip to this degree so when playing games it will probably be averaging about 60 degrees.

The noctua has only one fan, it only came with one fan... that fan is on the other side, in fact here is a picture to explain better, should the fan be on the other side?

http://imgur.com/Q1h11Xs

Back
Top Bottom