Help me with a new build, no budget

Associate
OP
Yes, it's called the Plec Phenomena Series - you buy all top end Ryzen parts combined with a 1080ti and 21:9 screen, assemble components and then be amazed at how quickly the latest technology disappears when left on the doorstep of a given address...

That or watch it blown up by bomb disposal as it would essentially be an unmarked package, seemingly randomly disposed off - would still be amazing, as long as it didn't take out my house after the builders have been. However, blown up before they arrive - I get the work done for free. That would be an amazing technology advancement for a PC - remodelling a house!

Funny you should mention bomb disposal, I put an ancient cpu cooler in the public bin outside flat and had some dodgy looks, to the unknown it could look like a device of some sort haha

I have an old fractal r4 case with corsair 750W psu in, however its 2 years old.. will have to take it to the tip, or do you think its worth sticking on ebay for a fiver with 20 quid postage?

Soldato
If the case is in good nick and PSU is clean I would try Gumtree - local pickup more cash in your pocket.

I'm too lazy to post things - especially large items and arranging pickup. With Gumtree, they do the legwork and all you have to do is take a couple of photos.

Soldato
It's possible but rare - but your MB has a dual BIOS so practically zero risk.

Rule of thumb - don't flash from Windows (actually that should be a rule of thumb in general life too)

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
You don't need the Optane update and you can't revert back to a previous BIOS if it goes wrong (negating the dual BIOS safety feature) - so i would get the F4 as it mentions the the voltage update you're after.

Associate
OP
You don't need the Optane update and you can't revert back to a previous BIOS if it goes wrong (negating the dual BIOS safety feature) - so i would get the F4 as it mentions the the voltage update you're after.

so its basically download the bios file to hard drive, run the flash bios utility in the startup, select that file and off we go?

Soldato
Not looked at your MB manual - but is the 'bios utility' a window app?

As it's a Gigabyte board do you have a Q-flash option within the BIOS?

Could be you're talking about the latter in which case ignore...

Soldato
If you use q flash and are using a USB stick - i recommend formatting the USB stick (fat 32) and then installing the unzipped BIOS onto the stick - just the file not the folder.

Then get to the BIOS select the drive then file and flash away...

Soldato
Looks like you were talking about q-flash - link

In which case you could direct it to the file on your HDD - i've always used a USB drive, old habits, easy to identify, very slim chance of corruption (but important to reformat to fat 32) etc...

Last edited:
Associate
OP

In which case you could direct it to the file on your HDD - i've always used a USB drive, old habits, easy to identify, very slim chance of corruption (but important to reformat to fat 32) etc...

yep looks like im going to have to go get usb stick

the q-flash doesnt show my hdd, just says A:/unknowndevice and i cant select more, and in A it has microsoft and boot, strange

Associate
OP

updated bios, and ran prime 95 again... does it look ok? I notice that it doesnt use all 4 cores.. weird

it will like go to 60 then to 0.. then back upto 100.. maybe thats how prime 95 wrks

http://imgur.com/a/L8Stq

Soldato
Your temps are fine/great and voltage so the CPU wouldn't have throttled through thermal problems.
  • When you ran prime before the BIOS update - did it run cores 100% through whole test?
  • What test were you running - blend, small FFts?
  • **When the loads dropped did you have any error codes within the prime screen - e,g, warning "Error on core 2 expected 0.x..."?**
  • What version of prime95 are you running - 29.1?

Associate
OP
Your temps are fine/great and voltage so the CPU wouldn't have throttled through thermal problems.
  • When you ran prime before the BIOS update - did it run cores 100% through whole test?
  • What test were you running - blend, small FFts?
  • **When the loads dropped did you have any error codes within the prime screen - e,g, warning "Error on core 2 expected 0.x..."?**
  • What version of prime95 are you running - 29.1?

1/ not sure if it did 100 percent through whole test but dont remember seeing them drops
2/ Im going to options > benchmark.. testing it that way?
3/ no error codes
4/ 28.10

extra note, just ran a small ffts thread and they stayed at 100 percent load :)

http://imgur.com/a/Kp1ig

Back
Top Bottom