hifi Delusion at it's greatest?

Soldato
Surely any amp costing upwards of £100 will have some pretty robust power regulation electronics inside it anyway, rendering a large part of the issue completely moot anyway?

If you're spending £1000+ on the amp, i'd be utterly shocked if it didn't have pretty 'bomb proof' regulation circuits that 'smooth out' even the most awful of electrical feeds.

edit - as for that particular cable, a power cable that can make the black level displayed on a TV 'deeper'? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the intervening time, Ecosse has fiddled with many aspects of the content and construction of the cable – the number and arrangement of conductors, the insulation, the mains plug at one end and the three-pin connection at the other.

Good start i guess.

Associate
OP
Lastly, some of the real "hifi" systems are probably worst. They're terrible for giving music an almost etched and overhyped and over detailed view. With really well recorded music, can sound amazing. But I don't want to just listen to well recorded Jazz. What about the day you fancy a spot of Definitely Maybe (which is truly awfully produced, but has some wonderful songs on it). These upfront systems simply rip your ears off with the wrong music. Still, that's progress, at least according to the hifi rags.

Couldn't agree more with this. Unless you're a bass freak i don't understand why people don't simply opt for studio monitors. - Ok they're not the prettyest speakers, but they'l have the flatest "dynamics(?)" , and should sound as close to how the songs were meant to sound as possible, rather than all this nonsense about speakers with "character" , and "warmth" etc. I mean for music that is, if you want to truely appreciate any song. Since i got my teufel concept b's (hifi manufacturer, but more of a studio monitor design) theres so many new bits of songs i hear, and even hear the lyrics clearer. When i started out looking at hifi stuff my opinion was - go with the audiophiles- now i think its - go with the proffessionals --- if it's someones day to day job to make music sound it's best, they're going to take the time to make sure they're not ****ing money up the wall.... anyways, just my opinion..

Last edited:
Soldato
Couldn't agree more with this. Unless you're a bass freak i don't understand why people don't simply opt for studio monitors. - Ok they're not the prettyest speakers, but they'l have the flatest "dynamics(?)" , and should sound as close to how the songs were meant to sound as possible, rather than all this nonsense about speakers with "character" , and "warmth" etc. I mean for music that is, if you want to truely appreciate any song. Since i got my teufel concept b's (hifi manufacturer, but more of a studio monitor design) theres so many new bits of songs i hear, and even hear the lyrics clearer. When i started out looking at hifi stuff my opinion was - go with the audiophiles- now i think its - go with the proffessionals --- if it's someones day to day job to make music sound it's best, they're going to take the time to make sure they're not ****ing money up the wall.... anyways, just my opinion..

One I certainly dont agree with. When I was younger I used to think like that, not that age makes any difference but for me my tastes have changed. I used to want my hifi to be neutral and not to change the original recording in anyway as you say, just as the sound man wanted you to hear it.

Now I have come to realise that a lot of CDs quality of recording is pretty poor to near rubbish. I dont want to hear that rubbish quality CD laid bare in all its aneamic analytical detailed glory. Now I just want to enjoy the music so seek out equipment that instead gives music its musicality which lends warmth, air and sweetness to it. I dont want diet any more I want full flavour, yes it may be idealistically bad but who cares. Thats why I love valves, some people think they are rediculous but I just love the sound.

Associate
OP
Usually because they have none, which is why threads of this nature on this forum are a complete and utter waste of time.

The point of the thread was because, scientifically the cable should make such little difference as to assume it makes none, and funnily enough people did come round to justify them... just shows something...

also - why would a sceptic have gone and bought a expensive power cable if he thinks it will make no difference?... One of the only people to defend the power cables admitted they hadnt blind tested them- negating their opinion

Regardless - Hats off to Mr S and the others for defending despite our critism, and offering a listening test, can't argue with that...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just a quick update on the offer.
Hurf had asked to pop around this evening. I've not heard anything, so I guess that he wasn't that bothered after all.

Associate
Has anyone seen any attempt at a rational arguemnent for why after traveling miles through the cheapest possible cable that will do the job, the electricity is improved by the last 2 meters of cable? There must be some science/pseudoscience thrown around to justify it, there is with most of this stuff.

Caporegime
Has anyone seen any attempt at a rational arguemnent for why after traveling miles through the cheapest possible cable that will do the job, the electricity is improved by the last 2 meters of cable?

Because Mr. Sukebe says so. His endless, irrational, lacking-in-common-sense waffle has more than convinced me!

Soldato
Because Mr. Sukebe says so. His endless, irrational, lacking-in-common-sense waffle has more than convinced me!

And some people still believe all amplifiers sound the same when gain matched and that a pair of £5 RCA plugs is all you ever need.

There is no doubt your best off running a dedicated spur/line to your audio gear versus high priced plugs but i never dismiss anyones findings with such child like attacks especially when they don't have a vested financial interest in the outcome.

What is your experience with power plugs and with what kit?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't understand how a power plug cable can improve the sound by any noticeable degree. I'm not an expert, I merely am an enthusiast end user and have a fairly good audio setup but what I do know is that it's all down to the transformer and how the power circuitry is wired up on your amp anyway is it not?

Soldato

I think you really have made yourself look a complete idiot by your juvenile posts. Not once has Mr Sukebe said you should believe it because he said so. He has said that you can make up your own mind by listening yourself.

He obviously did and decided that it does and has made an open invitation to people to make their own minds. To me you cant be fairer than that, yet you want to take the **** out of him. It really does speak volumes about the type of person you are.

Caporegime
And some people still believe all amplifiers sound the same when gain matched and that a pair of £5 RCA plugs is all you ever need.

What's that got to do with power cables? Answer: **** all.

I think you really have made yourself look a complete idiot by your juvenile posts. Not once has Mr Sukebe said you should believe it because he said so. He has said that you can make up your own mind by listening yourself.

He obviously did and decided that it does and has made an open invitation to people to make their own minds. To me you cant be fairer than that, yet you want to take the **** out of him. It really does speak volumes about the type of person you are.

As much consideration as I do pay to character assessments by Joe Forumite, forgive if I don't seem too bothered about your opinion of my demeanour. However, I have to admit that I am indeed that type of person. The type that will rubbish hocus pocus Hi-Fi fantasy. Please, forgive me.

Sukebe did not blind test when he purchased this fantastic power cable (this I am forced to conclude, given that he didn't answer me when I asked this). His mind tells him it sounds better because he spent too much money on it. It's just human nature. He disregards the fact that the quality of cable from fuse box to Hi-Fi is already gash.

It's not necessary to do extensive testing to know that an expensive power cable will make no difference, in the same way that I can say with authority that the world is spherical despite the fact that I have not carried out extensive toplogical testing on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
As much consideration as I do pay to character assessments by Joe Forumite, forgive if I don't seem too bothered about your opinion of my demeanour. However, I have to admit that I am indeed that type of person. The type that will rubbish hocus pocus Hi-Fi fantasy. Please, forgive me.

Sukebe did not blind test when he purchased this fantastic power cable (this I am forced to conclude, given that he didn't answer me when I asked this). His mind tells him it sounds better because he spent too much money on it. It's just human nature. He disregards the fact that the quality of cable from fuse box to Hi-Fi is already gash.

It's not necessary to do extensive testing to know that an expensive power cable will make no difference, in the same way that I can say with authority that the world is spherical despite the fact that I have not carried out extensive toplogical testing on it.

I am not in the camp that believes it makes a bit of difference either but making out that he has said things which he did not and mocking him for it is IMO not needed. In fact if I am not mistaken he said he didnt believe it would make a difference either until he demoed it and bought it on the strength of the demo, so hardly how you are making it out to be.

Ive seen you bitch at TW[Fox] for what you percieve as doing the same thing, so I cant see why you think you doing the same is acceptable.

As an aside Im with you in so much as I am happy to rubbish Hifi snake oil.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am not in the camp that believes it makes a bit of difference either but making out that he has said things which he did not and mocking him for it is IMO not needed. In fact if I am not mistaken he said he didnt believe it would make a difference either until he demoed it and bought it on the strength of the demo, so hardly how you are making it out to be.

But his demo was crap!!!! And I don't get your Fox reference.

Back
Top Bottom