1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Col_M, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Street

Soldato

I use one of the old Petzl Tikkas, not sure which one but it takes AAA. I use Eneloop rechargeables in it. I keep a spare set in my pack and make sure the ones in the torch are freshly charged and have never had a problem in low temperatures.

2. thegreysquirrel

Associate

The Petzl Tikka is not USB but rather has the option to insert a battery (Petzl Core) that is recharged via USB. It takes 3x AAA batteries like most other ones. I have the green tikka pictured a few posts back with the red light option and love it. I use it for running at night in the countryside and it's fine for that. Doesn't project much but gives a nice flood of light for the first 20ft or so.

3. WoodyUK

Soldato

Hey there,

Just after a few quick footwear suggestions really.

Recently started walking in an attempt to get my active levels up as I have quite a sedentary job, first thing I need is suitable footwear where I'm not going to get wet feet or be slipping in wet grass/mud etc.

Relatively low budget for now but will happily spend much more down the line if I know I'm going to keep up with it.

What's out there for the sort of £50-60 range?

4. Dup

Sgarrista

Sprts Direct can be good for some offers on walking boots. Salomon boots for ~£60 aren't bad, in fact they're my go-to. I'd rather ruin £60 boots up the mountains and replace after a couple years then over spend and ruin them anyway. But for more casual stuff they are up to the task. They also do cheaper Karrimor stuff. Just make sure what you buy deffo states it is waterproof and breathable, not everything is.

5. Yadda

Wise Guy

Lots of lovely fresh snow on the mountains, right down to the foothills. I'll be doing my annual pilgrimage in the coming days - Ogwen to the coast, over the Carneddau. Marvellous

6. Street

Soldato

I'm heading over this Sunday. I was hoping to have a play on something on the Trinity Face or Clogwyn Du, but it's looking like the gullies are loaded with unconsolidated powder at the moment. Need a few freeze thaws to settle things down. Someone was a bit eager to get on one of the Trinity gullys yesterday despite the conditions and got avalanched on. Hopefully it doesn't all get washed away again though and we actually get a good winter season in Wales this year!

For most things I wear Innov8 Roclite 315s. Check out Sport Shoes as you can grab last seasons colours for about £60 instead of the usual full price. Worth checking out if they fit your feet.

7. Yadda

Wise Guy

Good stuff, yes indeed. I won't be doing anything too adventurous - just a slog over the tops, taking in Pen Yr Ole Wen, Carnedd Dafydd, Llewelyn, Foel Grach, Carnedd Uchaf (Gwenllian), Bera Bach etc. The riskiest thing I plan to do is eating baked beans in the snow. :)

8. Street

Soldato

Sounds good, make sure you get some pics! :) You doing it over a couple days?

9. Yadda

Wise Guy

Cheers, I don't usually carry any photo gear with me - I get too distracted and end up chasing photo's instead of enjoying the walk - but we'll see, I might take the little Fuji.

I do it in a day, setting off early with enough time to easily complete before dark, all being well (touch wood).

10. Street

Soldato

Ah yeh, just looked and it's about 12 miles across. I've always had it in my head that the Carneddau were longer. I guess it's because I've never been further north than Foel-fras.. I really should go and explore that bit!

11. Yadda

Wise Guy

Yes, about 12 miles all told. Coming down the north side is a nice walk, whether you finish in Rachub or Abergwyngregyn. A very good chance of seeing the wild ponies too, they're often on the lower northern foothills.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019