Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Really been enjoying the last week or so of weather, spent a lot of time up in the hills.

Bienn Ghlas and Ben Lawers.
w9wFyalh.jpg
l5rn8HFh.jpg

Glen Doll, Corrie Fee, Mayar and Driesh
4zTAphAh.jpg
AbzJZRwh.jpg
uutR9SJh.jpg
MxPi3ZNh.jpg

Even just the little wander round the local hills
g4DAA80h.jpg

On a side note, found my new summer boot, Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX, Not a boot or even a company I would have even considered in the past, I've always just written off Salewa as I was always told they are known for being narrow, and I have quite wide ball of my feet. I spent some time in a shop and got proper advice and fitting and these are surprisingly amazing, I went up half a size for these, I'm usually 9.5 but went with a 10 in these. When up in the hills I literally forget I'm wearing boots, fit like a glove.

Associate
Hi - just having my first browse through GD and love the pics of the hills. I'm organising a National 3 Peaks challenge for a team from work in mid June. Everyone is an amateur with my DofE Expedition training from 20 years ago being the greatest experience anyone has.... We did a 18km training walk in Brecon Beacons the other week which was great and hopefully gave people a taster?!.

Any advice from those who have gone before to help us succeed?

Soldato
Feet :D

Blisters are a killer. I’ve seen hard men in tears be prepared, I carry extra socks, boots that fit and are laced properly, zinc tape, blister pads, vaseline.

Suncream, a hat, etc etc

I do a lot of climbing in Scotland and have seen it all.

Soldato
Hi - just having my first browse through GD and love the pics of the hills. I'm organising a National 3 Peaks challenge for a team from work in mid June. Everyone is an amateur with my DofE Expedition training from 20 years ago being the greatest experience anyone has.... We did a 18km training walk in Brecon Beacons the other week which was great and hopefully gave people a taster?!.

Don't do it! There are far more fun challenges that don't rely on the driving aspect. It's as much a driving and logistical challenge than anything else. You do each mountain by the worst route and are blasting up and down so you don't enjoy them! ;)

Associate
Feet :D

Blisters are a killer. I’ve seen hard men in tears be prepared, I carry extra socks, boots that fit and are laced properly, zinc tape, blister pads, vaseline.

Had a few people with blisters in Brecon. Have bought a couple of rolls of Leukotape which I tried out, works amazingly well to prevent blisters forming. Not sure we're doing it for enjoyment, more the challenge - but take your point @Street about the logistics being a significant factor in success or failure.

Soldato
Gehwol foot cream.
When i do long walks i stop every 5 miles or so and take my boots and socks off to dry and cool down.
Every 10 miles i will change my socks.

I need to go through the Wainwright's and tick the ones ive done of, got a feeling I've done now than half already.

Soldato
Gehwol foot cream.
When i do long walks i stop every 5 miles or so and take my boots and socks off to dry and cool down.
Every 10 miles i will change my socks.

I need to go through the Wainwright's and tick the ones ive done of, got a feeling I've done now than half already.

That’s good cream. I apply it regularly.

Associate

Having seem the impact of hundreds of people descending upon Wasdale in the middle of the night and helped clear up the mess left behind on the mountains my first reaction is to discourage those who are planning the challenge and to consider other options. Sorry if this sounds a little OTT but when the mountain smells worse than a city centre toilet on a Friday night something definitely needs to change.

Trying to be a bit more constructive ;), as others have said getting the logistics rights is important. You really need a dedicated driver(s) who have thoroughly planned out routes including access to services. Going back to the Cumbria example, you'll typically be arriving in the evening and leaving early morning when nothing will be open - so fill up and stock up beforehand.

Despite doing the walk in mid June there's absolutely no guarantee that weather will be summer like - particularly on the summits. Keeping warm and dry are important so waterproofs, hat, gloves are essential. I would suggest 2 changes of clothes - keep one for travelling in and the other for walking. Keeping feet healthy is critical - so 3 pairs of hiking socks would be worth considering - a fresh pair for each walk.

Don't overlook the simple things - just washing your feet after each hike (and repairing any damage), or having a hot brew can be a real morale booster.

In terms of the physical challenge I would suggest that it is generally within the capabilities of those with modest level of fitness - when weather conditions are favourable. However, throw in persistent rain, wind and wind chill and it will be a much bigger challenge. Doing some training walks in poorer conditions will be of benefit but I would suggest focusing on ascent/descent rather than distance. In recent years my knees have really complained over long descents but I've found the use of hiking poles has made such a difference. Appreciate if this is going to be a one off for participants they don't want to invest in a shed load of equipment - but they may be able to borrow from friends/colleagues.

Hope this is of some use.

Good luck!

Associate
Thanks @Martytoon all useful stuff. I was sceptical about poles until I tried them in Wales, made hills much easier on the knees. Living way down south there are no proper big hills to train on. Our 18km trip only saw us do 900m ascent.

Most of the team are prepared to invest in essential kit.. so lots of folk with new boots and resulting blisters. Think I patched up 6 feet on way round Brecon.

We've 4 dedicated drivers and 2 vehicles. Have designated stops and mandatory wee breaks. Planning to start at 6-7am so first 2 will be in daylight.

Looking forward to it, fingers crossed I've got most stuff covered and shall make sure we leave no rubbish behind. Just the good weather to book now!

Caporegime
Did Jack's rake for the first time Sunday, for those who don't know it's a popular grade 1 scramble on Pavey Ark in Great Langdale. Incredible experience, I've done Striding edge before but this was a whole new level of technicality.

Here's a picture where you can just about make out the groove in the rock face that you scramble up. Well recommended, although I wouldn't fancy doing it in the wet!

Last edited:
Soldato
Did Jack's rake for the first time Sunday, for those who don't know it's a popular grade 1 scramble on Pavey Ark in Great Langdale. Incredible experience, I've done Striding edge before but this was a whole new level of technicality.

Here's a picture where you can just about make out the groove in the rock face that you scramble up. Well recommended, although I wouldn't fancy doing it in the wet!

Nice one, it's a good little route up there. There are a couple short grade 2 routes you can link it up with nearby too. A lot of the Lakes classics are so polished from all the traffic they're slippery as anything in the wet.

I spent Easter Friday cragging in the pass. Surprisingly we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Snowdon looked manic though, we could see over to Crib Goch and there was a constant stream of people going over the top!

Soldato
Snowdon is horrible at peak times this time of year. Only way of doing it is setting off early, ive had the top to myself a few times.

Soldato
Don't do it! There are far more fun challenges that don't rely on the driving aspect.
I concur .. yorkshire 3 peaks , similar distance, but a 3rd less elevation, you can just enjoy/concentrate on the walking,
and you can look back and see where we've been and are going, completing the loop.

with some of the joggish descents needed, to make the 12hours, It did prove a challenge for an older pair of walking boots ... should have checked the sole attachment

Caporegime
Nice one, it's a good little route up there. There are a couple short grade 2 routes you can link it up with nearby too. A lot of the Lakes classics are so polished from all the traffic they're slippery as anything in the wet.

Yep it’s getting very polished up there now, I’m all for excitement but in the wet that’d be beyond the realms of enjoyment!! Cheers for the heads up about the other routes, ill look into them! :)

Soldato

I really enjoy the Langdale Pikes - where did you head after you'd done Jack's Rake? My knees can't take the scramble, so we typically walk up the back of the tarn up to Harrison Stickle, before heading on to Loft Crag and Pike O'Stickle, and then dropping down into the head of Mickledon valley under Bowfell/Rossett Pike.

I reckon that path is my favourite of all hikes - starting at the ODG and heading to Scafell Pike and back. A full day's walk, and depending on route you can tick off a load peaks on the way - Bowfell, Rossett Pike, Esk Pike, Great End, Broad Crag, Ill Crag, etc.

My sister's boyfriend and I are thinking of doing this next year - https://peakchallenge.co.uk/lakeland-12-in-12/ as it covers all peaks in the region - I got engaged up by Great Knott...

Caporegime
I really enjoy the Langdale Pikes - where did you head after you'd done Jack's Rake? My knees can't take the scramble, so we typically walk up the back of the tarn up to Harrison Stickle, before heading on to Loft Crag and Pike O'Stickle, and then dropping down into the head of Mickledon valley under Bowfell/Rossett Pike.

I reckon that path is my favourite of all hikes - starting at the ODG and heading to Scafell Pike and back. A full day's walk, and depending on route you can tick off a load peaks on the way - Bowfell, Rossett Pike, Esk Pike, Great End, Broad Crag, Ill Crag, etc.

My sister's boyfriend and I are thinking of doing this next year - https://peakchallenge.co.uk/lakeland-12-in-12/ as it covers all peaks in the region - I got engaged up by Great Knott...

Sargent Mann, High Raise, Thunacar Knott, Harrison Stickle, Pike o Stickle and Loft Crag. The works :)

Soldato
Sargent Mann, High Raise, Thunacar Knott, Harrison Stickle, Pike o Stickle and Loft Crag. The works :)

Nice. I love looking down into the valley from Pike o'Stickle. Actually, looking up at it from that valley floor and watching the dogs heard in the sheep at 700m is quite a sight. Was up on that plain during the Beast From The East and it was a good 3ft deep in places.

Caporegime
Nice. I love looking down into the valley from Pike o'Stickle. Actually, looking up at it from that valley floor and watching the dogs heard in the sheep at 700m is quite a sight. Was up on that plain during the Beast From The East and it was a good 3ft deep in places.

Its a great little scramble up there as well, stunning panoramic views, love it up there! :)

Some people actually descended down the gully between that and Loft Crag as well, looked pretty hairy down there :eek:

Back
Top Bottom