Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Pendeen to lizard point this weekend :)

Even bought myself some new gear for it, waterproof lightweight jacket and some new pants :)

I mostly do it for the fish and chips.

Soldato
I've recently come into an opportunity for a Grand Canyon hiking trip that I couldnt turn down. I've just spent way way too much on kit for it over the last few weeks, more than I needed to, but I'm more of a winter explorer, all my kit is geared towards frozen wildernesses. In the summer I tend to MTB more than walk/climb. I've been doing my research kitting myself out in warm weather gear, I love buying new kit but its been a lot of money, but its kit i'll use for years, hopefully I'll get plenty use out of it in the long run.
I've had a fair bit of experience in long distances and long days in the heat not so much with the elevation change in those conditions. I am very curious to see how I'll handle doing the descents at the start and the climbs at the end, thats going to be an interesting curve-ball... The descents are usually what takes it out of me, constant pounding on the knees, but we'll see! I'm soo looking forward to it!!!:D

Pendeen to lizard point this weekend :)

Even bought myself some new gear for it, waterproof lightweight jacket and some new pants :)

I mostly do it for the fish and chips.
Make sure you get some photos, love the Cornish coast! Did a fair bit of it by bike a couple of years back.

Caporegime
Hello everyone,

First time dipping my toes here, so be gentle :p :)

Heading to Zermatt, Switzerland in July, with the main focus being on photography. I will be staying for a couple of nights in Fluhalp and the rest in Zermatt itself. I have various questions and would really appreciate some help:

Clothing
I already have good hiking boots and trousers and know already about base layers from previous photography & travel trips. What I am not sure on though is a jacket. I don't think I have anything suitable. I imagine in July depending on the time of day and weather the variation of temperatures could be pretty large. Does anyone have any recommendations? - I have a good fleece to wear over base layer & t-shirt if cold enough. So i guess I am looking for something lightweight and compact to keep in the backpack in case the temp really drops and/or the weather takes a turn for the worse. Any suggestions?

Otherwise, gloves, hat, neck warmer etc is all covered.

Backpack
I already have and am a big fan of Osprey Stuff. I have a backpacking backpack from them, a Farpoint 55 and its great. However, I don't feel its suitable for what I am looking to do. I am going for 5 days and most of the days I can leave the majority of my things in my accommodation and carry with me just essentials. Like some food, water, camera equipment, warm clothing. Would any of you pick up another hiking specific backpack of a similar L size or just switch with what you have already?

Equipment
Going to pick myself up a few bits

- Hiking poles. Any recommendations welcome. Something good for travel if possible.
- Head torch
- Is a gps specific for hiking worth it, or is google maps sufficient?

Not sure what else I could have missed.

Also speaking of travelling with hiking poles, what is the legality of taking these through in hand luggage?

Thanks in advance for all your help :)

Caporegime
Depends where you're off to, but practice and bring with you a physical map and compass.

If you're anywhere you could get lost (as in can't see a city/landmark) it's really an easy and invaluable skill.
Well my plan was to only follow well trodden and sign posted routes for the time being as this is my first trip with any serious hiking in :)

Or am I being too ignorant here? :)

Soldato
Well my plan was to only follow well trodden and sign posted routes for the time being as this is my first trip with any serious hiking in :)

Well probably not, you'll probably be fine.
Just sometimes you detour 'just over there' and once there realise the path/trail is completely obscured from that angle and there's a jarring 'I'm lost' feeling haha

It's just my 'go to' advice for people :)

Soldato

I've not been to Zermatt but generally the Alpine ski resorts are very well signposted and marked. You'll be able to pick up a map in the resort, usually for free in the tourist info office.
If you do stay to the marked paths it'll be easy to follow. They're often the same routes as the pistes so have all the ski signposts too.

edit: here's the Zermatt hiking map all the trails are numbered and colour-coded. there's also a guide for how long it takes to hike each trail.

Soldato
Just to be clear, the "maps" i'm talking about are basically just printouts of the PDF I linked. Far from a proper map and won't help at all with map reading skills.
If you stick to marked trails, the trail map will be all you need. If you think you might go 'off-piste', you should take a proper topographic map and compass (and know how to use it).

Caporegime
Just to be clear, the "maps" i'm talking about are basically just printouts of the PDF I linked. Far from a proper map and won't help at all with map reading skills.
If you stick to marked trails, the trail map will be all you need. If you think you might go 'off-piste', you should take a proper topographic map and compass (and know how to use it).
Got it. I will pick up some maps locally, will take a compass. And make a point of learning it whilst I am there. Thank you :)

I don't intend on going off-piste. But better to know before getting lost :)

Soldato
Hello everyone,

First time dipping my toes here, so be gentle :p :)

Heading to Zermatt, Switzerland in July, with the main focus being on photography. I will be staying for a couple of nights in Fluhalp and the rest in Zermatt itself. I have various questions and would really appreciate some help:

You're more likely to be too hot than too cold in July. Take lightweight, light coloured clothing and you'll be fine. I live in shorts in the valleys and up to the snow line, then lightweight softshell trousers above. I take lightweight waterproofs that stay in my pack for emergencies as usually if there is a storm, I'll be sat in the valley drinking beer instead.

I have a small 15l Salomon pack which is more than enough for non technical day trips and a 40l pack for mountaineering. Admittedly I don't take any camera equipment but 15l is massive for me and the pack is mostly empty! For poles, I've got some Black Diamond ones that break down really short so they don't get in the way when stashed.

Generally I pay for a few months subscription to the maps on Viewranger when I head over and also take the paper maps for the areas I'm in. I think last year it was about £20 for 3 months, but as above, a lot of the main trails are very well sign posted.

Caporegime
Thanks @Street :) - Camera gear wise its a tripod, camera body, 2 lenses, batteries, filters. Not a huge amount of stuff. But obviously need to take the weight into consideration. Thats interesting that I could be too hot than cold, even up at Fluhalp and the trails up there? Bearing in mind at times (particularly around sunset and sunrise) I will be standing still for long periods of time taking photos.

Soldato
Thanks @Street :) - Camera gear wise its a tripod, camera body, 2 lenses, batteries, filters. Not a huge amount of stuff. But obviously need to take the weight into consideration. Thats interesting that I could be too hot than cold, even up at Fluhalp and the trails up there? Bearing in mind at times (particularly around sunset and sunrise) I will be standing still for long periods of time taking photos.

I've been mainly based in Chamonix but have had trips round to the Swiss and Italian sides and it's been similar. My first trip I was the typical Brit in the alps, thick dark layers, too much gear etc and I cooked. I've quite happily walked into huts up to nearly 3000m in shorts and tshirt, however it does get colder once the sun goes in if you're higher up, especially if you're stood around. Even when climbing I'm usually too hot rather than too cold, and nothing is hotter than walking back across a glacier in the midday sun.. The 3am hut starts can be a bit nippy though and are a good incentive to move fast until the sun comes up!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent bug repellent for my trip to Scotland. Ive been looking at Smidge as it is DEET free but wondered if anyone had any experience of decent bug repellents. I'll also be likely wearing factor 50 being a red head so something that can be applied on top of that with no issues.

Soldato
Got it. I will pick up some maps locally, will take a compass. And make a point of learning it whilst I am there. Thank you :)

I don't intend on going off-piste. But better to know before getting lost :)

If you get the OS Explorer maps you get a free digital version that works with the free OS Maps app and your phone's GPS. Take both every time you go. They are around £7 each.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a decent bug repellent for my trip to Scotland. Ive been looking at Smidge as it is DEET free but wondered if anyone had any experience of decent bug repellents. I'll also be likely wearing factor 50 being a red head so something that can be applied on top of that with no issues.
Avon Skin So Soft best insect repellent there is.

Caporegime

Brut, nothing living wants to get close to that :p

Back
Top Bottom