Hiphop fans in here?

Soldato
All things Hiphop!

...Yeah for real, are we in here or not? Hiphop is the biggest selling music Genre in the world today and yet, i aint seen regular threads on Hiphop related stuff man.

What's going on? where the Hiphop fans at man, Hallo right here and lets discuss hiphop! Now drop that bomb!!! :D

Homiez let go all out and discuss things happening in the Hiphop community in the Uk and all over the world. For shizzle ma homies, lets lock this down and make it exicting man.

Where the real hiphop fans at? :confused:

PS
If you aint understanding what im saying, just run it back and spin it off! Peace :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lowrider007 said:
hiphop died when the Chronic 2001 album was released into the charts, from that day onwards hiphop became over commercialized and I knew from that day forward my love for hiphop was over, still tho, the old school hiphop does hold a little place in my heart.

Aint nothing wrong with a Rap album being commercially succesful, i honestly think he deserved it as that album is a Classic and template for Hiphop period.

Soldato
OP
denic2k6 said:
LOL , i hate westwood :mad:

Hes a good example of a PRAT

I dont understand why everyone hates Tim westwood, I honsetly dont know why. He's one of the people pushing UK on the hiphop map, Through the BBC he manages to reach loads of people with Special guest Rap artist that wont even roll with local radio station Djs man.

Give the guy a break, this is another example of us UK biting the head off of our own success.

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
because he's ****, a **** and sounds and looks ****ing stupid.

He's nothing but a laughing stock.

Your opinnion but i still dont agree, have you been to his rave, do you see how the blacks, whites and asians show him love? If is what you think he is how come he makes the top Dj poll every year? There's more reason to love him than hate him.

If you work as House keeper for a rich upperclass person, you will obviously talk posh and walk funny like them. If you work in the HIphop game, your lingo and spoken english changes to adapt to your audience and possibly your life style, He aint a laughing stock - He's interviewed just about all the Rap artist from all over the world, dont you think they will have spot that by now?

If anything he is cool, white and make his money. Now to finish off in his words - Halla and drop that bomb.

Soldato
OP
Clerkin said:
couldnt agree more, had the misfortune of seeing Pimp my Ride UK the other week. Westwood called a 1/2 pipe a 1/4 pipe and after being corrected by some other gimp he walked into the open boot of the car. smacking his head on it. was quite funny.

So that makes him what you guys think he is???

EDIT
Gilly thinks he is this n that and you seem to agree to what he said, you then gave an example of him making a fool of himself or not showing the right knowledge in your view. Then, i am asking if that makes him what you and Gilly are reffering him too?

Hope you get it now. Me = Nigerian = English not first Language. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So, what do you guys think of UK hiphop? Im talking real hiphop not your Grime and Garage conversion beat being freestlyed over or something like that.

Who is a real hiphop artist in the UK

Can we beat the americans at theri own game - i.e videos, track production etc.

What happened to Klashnekoff, Skinny man and IceBerg Slim?

Soldato
OP
panthro said:

IIRC a combination of High jazzy and Rocky guitar sounds that makes you wanna move mixed with Hiphop (Dirty south kinda beat)

I think UK has a lot more talent that the US in terms of lyricists. Roll Deep are a great example, along with N.A.S.T.Y crew, SLK, etc

I so dont think so, All of them in my opinion make records to impress their friends, they all talk rubbish on the mic.

Soldato
OP

Will love to hear his new stuff, i think he lost his way after the "Murda" track. Even though when i start to decioher the words he was saying and found it is plain rubbish :p

Iceberg Slim i think he is ok listen to Eve's Remix of "who's that Girl" and you can tell he has skills. Theirs nothing wrong with rapping in an American accent - If you wanna be the best, join the best. :)

Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Please tell me that was a joke? there is everything wrong rapping with an american accent. I might as well start talking like one if they are the best. After that statement I cant take anything you say again seriously.

That's the mentality of Iceberg i was reffering to. Hence the smily next to it.

Having said that, if that's what he wants so why not.

EDIT
By the use of the word "Best" i meant it in terms of HipHop.
You know If you listen to tracks produced by Nigeria artist (i think we call our Hiphop "Afro Hiphop") Most of then go down the American rapping and pronounciation style on the mic, Using words like Gonna, wanna, etc. I dont have a problem with it honeslty but then it is down to individual and whatever that rocks their boat.
British accent as in the British urban accent dont do it for me when rapping man, imagine this -

No long tin blud, Cuz dat is well heavy :o Nah i am not feeling it at all. One of the reason i cant stand mike skinner, mitchell brothers and Kano. It is more suited for local consumption and not the international market.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Im not really bothered what you feel as that is your own opinion, and I probably imagine that the entire UK scene is not bothered either. What you are basically saying is that if people dont conform to "american style talking" then it rules them out completely. You cant say that. You might as well say "If every country in the world doesnt speak with an american accent then it will rule them out of international politics.
We, as english people have our own identity and style that is influenced by our surroundings, environment, etc. If we didnt have this we would be churning out **** like Nelly, Ja Rule, etc, total BS.
It sounds to me like most of your "afro hiphop" artists just want to emulate americans. I dont have a problem with this, but it lacks originality, substance and credibility. Plus, that proves that rapping like an american doesnt guarantee you success because if it did then we would be hearing it in our charts!

Look, lets keep it music, i dont do politics. All im saying is i dont feel British way of rapping. America is the best when it comes to hiphop music period, take it or leave it.
If you know the history of music you will hear of terms like "music influneced by....." Afro Hiphop has an influnce of America's hiphop so i dont have a qualms with it. How do you define originality and substance when it comes to music in this day and age?

The world wont feel our british hiphop artist like the american until we step our games up.

Mark Morrinson, Floetry, Cannibus (used to live in SurreyQuays in SElondon), Iceberg Slim etc have all gone "american" because the want success and i dont blame them.

We dont see them in the chart because the british market is not ready.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Everyone "does" politics. Have you not seen the advert?!

All of the above are sell outs who have turned coats to be successful, and lets face it, it hasnt worked out that well. They arent exactly rolling in it.

The point is, is that if everyone conformed to the mainstream, we would not end up with talented artists displaying their music in its originality. Its not right that artists should be pressurised into conforming to get into the charts. BTW, most uk artists would spurn success at the thought of "turning american".

UK rappers cant rap about coolaid (dont sell it in the shops), gold fronts (because they cant afford it), versace, etc like americans do. Like I said before, its individual identity. If you want to listen to and enjoy US hip hop then thats cool. But dont say that the UK should conform to it to be successful. Dizzee Rascal didnt win the Mercury music prize for rapping about his bentley, Cristal and bling in an american accent did he?

I just dont want the conversation to turn ugly hence no politics.
You are right artist should not be pressure into picking up a particular style.....Oh hold on a minute, aint that what record label do? :)

Uk rappers can say what they want but we have heard all before from the americans - see why they need to step up their game now.
Dizzie Rascal wont the mercury price? big deal! Mercury Price dont hold any prestige lately unlike before. in my view Dizzee is a crap-female sounding-male rapper. I liked his first single and that was about it (oh if you must know the beat he sampled for "fix up look sharp" was by an american artist).

It is a fact we british are far behind the american in terms of hiphop, for us to catch them we need real talent and not studio artist like we seem to have over here.

Soldato
OP
STUDIO ARTIST
Dizee,
Rolldeep
More fire crew (with the exception of Lethal bizzle)
Mike Skinner
Kano
Estelle
All the so called "underground" artist from channel U on sky (well 90% of them)
Naila Boss (This is someone i know)
Shysty

REAL ARTIST
Klashnekoff
Skinny Man
SAS (holding it down in america now with the Diplomats)
etc

Back
Top Bottom