Hiphop fans in here?

Soldato
Westwood is a tool imo. he does not do much to promote UK hip hop/rap/grime....what'dyou call it?! :p

He is only bothered about what is big at the moment, like last year he was promoting dancehall, now its "crunk" whatever the **** that is.

I dont care much for nearly all of mainstream US hip hop. It is all tripe and rubbish. All they talk about is their gold fronts, how much money they have, etc. I get really peed off when I hear it. I still like listening to original gansta rap, NWA, snoop, etc along with Mos Def, KRS One, Common and a few others.

I think UK has a lot more talent that the US in terms of lyricists. Roll Deep are a great example, along with N.A.S.T.Y crew, SLK, etc. They do talk a lot of BS most of the time, but they do put out some quality lyrics.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
So, what do you guys think of UK hiphop? Im talking real hiphop not your Grime and Garage conversion beat being freestlyed over or something like that.

Who is a real hiphop artist in the UK

Can we beat the americans at theri own game - i.e videos, track production etc.

What happened to Klashnekoff, Skinny man and IceBerg Slim?

Klashnekoff is working on some new material. Iceberg Slim is a gimp who raps with an american accent and cant put 2 bars together to save his life. We cant beat the americans at their own game, because it is already the dominant player and there are millions of dollars being injected into it all the time. The UK scene is still (and will be for a long time) underground, which imo is the best and worst thing for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
panthro said:

IIRC a combination of High jazzy and Rocky guitar sounds that makes you wanna move mixed with Hiphop (Dirty south kinda beat)

I think UK has a lot more talent that the US in terms of lyricists. Roll Deep are a great example, along with N.A.S.T.Y crew, SLK, etc

I so dont think so, All of them in my opinion make records to impress their friends, they all talk rubbish on the mic.

Soldato
OP

Will love to hear his new stuff, i think he lost his way after the "Murda" track. Even though when i start to decioher the words he was saying and found it is plain rubbish :p

Iceberg Slim i think he is ok listen to Eve's Remix of "who's that Girl" and you can tell he has skills. Theirs nothing wrong with rapping in an American accent - If you wanna be the best, join the best. :)

Soldato
ElRazur said:
I so dont think so, All of them in my opinion make records to impress their friends, they all talk rubbish on the mic.

Re read my post

Panthro said:
They do talk a lot of BS most of the time, but they do put out some quality lyrics

especially when they freestyle. Wiley vs Kano on Lord of the Mics.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Theirs nothing wrong with rapping in an American accent - If you wanna be the best, join the best. :)

Please tell me that was a joke? there is everything wrong rapping with an american accent. I might as well start talking like one if they are the best. After that statement I cant take anything you say again seriously.

Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Please tell me that was a joke? there is everything wrong rapping with an american accent. I might as well start talking like one if they are the best. After that statement I cant take anything you say again seriously.

That's the mentality of Iceberg i was reffering to. Hence the smily next to it.

Having said that, if that's what he wants so why not.

EDIT
By the use of the word "Best" i meant it in terms of HipHop.
You know If you listen to tracks produced by Nigeria artist (i think we call our Hiphop "Afro Hiphop") Most of then go down the American rapping and pronounciation style on the mic, Using words like Gonna, wanna, etc. I dont have a problem with it honeslty but then it is down to individual and whatever that rocks their boat.
British accent as in the British urban accent dont do it for me when rapping man, imagine this -

No long tin blud, Cuz dat is well heavy :o Nah i am not feeling it at all. One of the reason i cant stand mike skinner, mitchell brothers and Kano. It is more suited for local consumption and not the international market.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like hip hop, but none of this so called 'hip hop' (Or cheese on a stick).

On a side note . . .

This message has been deleted by Davey_Pitch. Reason: Any more personal attacks and you'll be having a holiday from the forums. Play nice now. Fo shizzle.
Go pavey!!111 :D

And worrrd to you dawg :p

Soldato
ElRazur said:
That's the mentality of Iceberg i was reffering to. Hence the smily next to it.

Having said that, if that's what he wants so why not.

EDIT
By the use of the word "Best" i meant it in terms of HipHop.
You know If you listen to tracks produced by Nigeria artist (i think we call our Hiphop "Afro Hiphop") Most of then go down the American rapping and pronounciation style on the mic, Using words like Gonna, wanna, etc. I dont have a problem with it honeslty but then it is down to individual and whatever that rocks their boat.
British accent as in the British urban accent dont do it for me when rapping man, imagine this -

No long tin blud, Cuz dat is well heavy :o Nah i am not feeling it at all. One of the reason i cant stand mike skinner, mitchell brothers and Kano. It is more suited for local consumption and not the international market.

Im not really bothered what you feel as that is your own opinion, and I probably imagine that the entire UK scene is not bothered either. What you are basically saying is that if people dont conform to "american style talking" then it rules them out completely. You cant say that. You might as well say "If every country in the world doesnt speak with an american accent then it will rule them out of international politics.
We, as english people have our own identity and style that is influenced by our surroundings, environment, etc. If we didnt have this we would be churning out **** like Nelly, Ja Rule, etc, total BS.
It sounds to me like most of your "afro hiphop" artists just want to emulate americans. I dont have a problem with this, but it lacks originality, substance and credibility. Plus, that proves that rapping like an american doesnt guarantee you success because if it did then we would be hearing it in our charts!

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
It's quite obviously all about Public Enemy, Anticon and Def Jux. Latter two are the best hip hop labels around today.

Oh, it's all about Def Jux baby!

I got 3 Aesop Rock albums from my local(ish) record store for £9, because the owner 'didn't have a clue'.

Although, they're not great. Aesop is probably the weekest artist on the label...imho of course.

Sic said:
no. just no.

*shakes head*
*remembers what it was like to respect Spunj99*

Dude! :(

It's true, you're just so indie that you refuse to accept that Speakerboxx/The Love Below is a very unique album because it was so popular. :p

Stankonia, however, was a quality album.

Which is what i based my "tried to resurrect hip-hop" comment on. :)

Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Im not really bothered what you feel as that is your own opinion, and I probably imagine that the entire UK scene is not bothered either. What you are basically saying is that if people dont conform to "american style talking" then it rules them out completely. You cant say that. You might as well say "If every country in the world doesnt speak with an american accent then it will rule them out of international politics.
We, as english people have our own identity and style that is influenced by our surroundings, environment, etc. If we didnt have this we would be churning out **** like Nelly, Ja Rule, etc, total BS.
It sounds to me like most of your "afro hiphop" artists just want to emulate americans. I dont have a problem with this, but it lacks originality, substance and credibility. Plus, that proves that rapping like an american doesnt guarantee you success because if it did then we would be hearing it in our charts!

Look, lets keep it music, i dont do politics. All im saying is i dont feel British way of rapping. America is the best when it comes to hiphop music period, take it or leave it.
If you know the history of music you will hear of terms like "music influneced by....." Afro Hiphop has an influnce of America's hiphop so i dont have a qualms with it. How do you define originality and substance when it comes to music in this day and age?

The world wont feel our british hiphop artist like the american until we step our games up.

Mark Morrinson, Floetry, Cannibus (used to live in SurreyQuays in SElondon), Iceberg Slim etc have all gone "american" because the want success and i dont blame them.

We dont see them in the chart because the british market is not ready.

Last edited:
Soldato
ElRazur said:
Look, lets keep it music, i dont do politics. All im saying is i dont feel British way of rapping. America is the best when it comes to hiphop music period, take it or leave it.
If you know the history of music you will hear of terms like "music influneced by....." Afro Hiphop has an influnce of America's hiphop so i dont have a qualms with it. How do you define originality and substance when it comes to music in this day and age?

The world wont feel our british hiphop artist like the american until we step our games up.

Mark Morrinson, Floetry, Cannibus (used to live in SurreyQuays in SElondon), Iceberg Slim etc have all gone "american" because the want success and i dont blame them.

Everyone "does" politics. Have you not seen the advert?!

All of the above are sell outs who have turned coats to be successful, and lets face it, it hasnt worked out that well. They arent exactly rolling in it.

The point is, is that if everyone conformed to the mainstream, we would not end up with talented artists displaying their music in its originality. Its not right that artists should be pressurised into conforming to get into the charts. BTW, most uk artists would spurn success at the thought of "turning american".

UK rappers cant rap about coolaid (dont sell it in the shops), gold fronts (because they cant afford it), versace, etc like americans do. Like I said before, its individual identity. If you want to listen to and enjoy US hip hop then thats cool. But dont say that the UK should conform to it to be successful. Dizzee Rascal didnt win the Mercury music prize for rapping about his bentley, Cristal and bling in an american accent did he?

Soldato
panthro said:
UK rappers cant rap about coolaid (dont sell it in the shops), gold fronts (because they cant afford it), versace, etc like americans do. Like I said before, its individual identity. If you want to listen to and enjoy US hip hop then thats cool. But dont say that the UK should conform to it to be successful. Dizzee Rascal didnt win the Mercury music prize for rapping about his bentley, Cristal and bling in an american accent did he?

I actually think this is what defines it for me...

Crap-hop involves a talentless hobo attempting to rap about...money, 'whores', guns...or the ghetto. Admittedly, Kanye (+ co) likes to venture into these areas occasionally....but for the most part it's original...

And originality is what's it's all about at the end of the day, even if it is more and more difficult every day.

******* Marion WHINE-ONS, Usher, Akon and all the other R'n'B ****-takes can die a horrible horrible death, please.

(yes, their abmismal "songs" get right on my boobies..)

Soldato
OP
panthro said:
Everyone "does" politics. Have you not seen the advert?!

All of the above are sell outs who have turned coats to be successful, and lets face it, it hasnt worked out that well. They arent exactly rolling in it.

The point is, is that if everyone conformed to the mainstream, we would not end up with talented artists displaying their music in its originality. Its not right that artists should be pressurised into conforming to get into the charts. BTW, most uk artists would spurn success at the thought of "turning american".

I just dont want the conversation to turn ugly hence no politics.
You are right artist should not be pressure into picking up a particular style.....Oh hold on a minute, aint that what record label do? :)

Uk rappers can say what they want but we have heard all before from the americans - see why they need to step up their game now.
Dizzie Rascal wont the mercury price? big deal! Mercury Price dont hold any prestige lately unlike before. in my view Dizzee is a crap-female sounding-male rapper. I liked his first single and that was about it (oh if you must know the beat he sampled for "fix up look sharp" was by an american artist).

It is a fact we british are far behind the american in terms of hiphop, for us to catch them we need real talent and not studio artist like we seem to have over here.

Soldato
Spunj99 said:
I actually think this is what defines it for me...

Crap-hop involves a talentless hobo attempting to rap about...money, 'whores', guns...or the ghetto. Admittedly, Kanye (+ co) likes to venture into these areas occasionally....but for the most part it's original...

And originality is what's it's all about at the end of the day, even if it is more and more difficult every day.

******* Marion WHINE-ONS, Usher, Akon and all the other R'n'B ****-takes can die a horrible horrible death, please.

(yes, their abmismal "songs" get right on my boobies..)

Thank you. I especially hate Akon!! :D

Soldato
ElRazur said:
It is a fact we british are far behind the american in terms of hiphop, for us to catch them we need real talent and not studio artist like we seem to have over here.

You need to face the fact that it is not going to happen. Ever. There is no "war" between the US and UK, because the UK scene doesnt give a **** how much money, bling, etc they have. They are in it for the music, not for the lifestyle. You seem to think that the UK has no talent?

Who are you referring to when you say studio artist?

Back
Top Bottom