Hiphop fans in here?

Ultramagnetic MCs, Deltron 3030, Hieroglyphics, Jehst, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, People Under The Stairs, Prince Paul, EPMD, Saul Williams and Chali 2na get my vote

ElRazur said:
As per the accent stuff, all im saying is I dont have problem with an Artist trying to do it the american way, if it sells them record good for him/her.

If you are an Artist wont you wanna be sucessful commercially? :confused:

Because the whole point of making music is to sell records...or not? You don't change your accent to sell records, because you aren't in the game for your love of music anymore really.

Carzy said:
Ultramagnetic MCs, Deltron 3030, Hieroglyphics, Jehst, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, People Under The Stairs, Prince Paul, EPMD, Saul Williams and Chali 2na get my vote

care to actually take part rather tha list artists? i'm listening to a few off that list, but i'd hardly put Del, Chali 2na and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth all together.

Carzy said:
Because the whole point of making music is to sell records...or not? You don't change your accent to sell records, because you aren't in the game for your love of music anymore really.
at the end of the day, it's their job...and if they dont make money from it, they're not going to survive. if people need to alter their accent and create a new persona, they may still be doing it for the love of music, and they'll probably still enjoy it...it's the audience that has a problem with it because they're changing themselves for the public. if that doesnt indicate a problem with the industry (rather than the artists) then i dont know what does!

Last edited:
Sic said:
problem for me is, that if you're into Hip Hop in the UK, you may as well forget seeing anything live if you're not in London or prepared to travel there. everywhere round here is really dry for live performances.

Yeah, i see your point. London seems to be like the NewYork for Rap at the moment but eventually people in other parts of the country will start to run their own things too.

You know i have listened to interview on Tim Westwood show and most of the American artist seem to give loads of Credit to Kano? Then i wonder why people like sway, Klashnekoff, skinny man etc dont get any recognition.

Dont get me wrong, Kano is doing all right but he dosent represent UK hiphop in my view.

Sic said:
care to actually take part rather tha list artists? i'm listening to a few off that list, but i'd hardly put Del, Chali 2na and Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth all together.

Take part in what? You said to give some artists that are lesser known for people to check out, so I did. I wouldn't put them together either, but then I didn't realise that was the point?

Carzy said:

Let me clarify things - IceBerg slim came out rapping that way = no problem

Dizee Rascal is doing it the British way = No problem.

Now, if Iceberg slim flips to british and Dizee rascal picks up the american style then there is a problem.

Im sorry record label dont support artist who do it "just for the love of music" anymore you are either a sucess of a flop period.

Last edited:
ElRazur said:
I love Hiphop and that Covers Rap, Hardcore Rap, Gangsta Rap, Grime, R n B, Crunk etc.
You might call it the same thing but RnB is not Hip-hop.

Carzy said:
Take part in what? You said to give some artists that are lesser known for people to check out, so I did. I wouldn't put them together either, but then I didn't realise that was the point?
Be nice if we had a breakdown of what they're like and similar artists to them. I've not heard of most of that list but I'd like to check out some of their stuff.

Carzy said:

what Gilly said

edit: on 2 counts apparently. Usher is not hip hop.

Gilly said:
You might call it the same thing but RnB is not Hip-hop.

Be nice if we had a breakdown of what they're like and similar artists to them. I've not heard of most of that list but I'd like to check out some of their stuff.

Don't ask me to write much before about 2.00PM. I've only just woken up, and I'm still pretty hungover :p

ElRazur said:
Im sorry record label dont support artist who do it "just for the love of music" anymore you are either a sucess of a flop period.

Well in my mind, that's a pretty depressing state of affairs then. And certainly isn't an apparent attitude in the music I listen to on a major basis...

ElRazur said:
So i use to think, but there seems to be more and more fusion between them over the past 5years.

What do class these tracks as then?

Destiny's child = Soldier
Usher = Yeah Yeah

they're still RnB dude. in my opinion (as i think that the generalisation of music is as subjective as the music itself) that's just RnB with a Rap break. the beats, bass and main voices are still very-much RnB

ElRazur said:
So i use to think, but there seems to be more and more fusion between them over the past 5years.

What do class these tracks as then?

Destiny's child = Soldier
Usher = Yeah Yeah
They're nothing but RnB.
Carzy said:
Don't ask me to write much before about 2.00PM. I've only just woken up, and I'm still pretty hungover :p
Fair enough :) Be nice to have something I can refer to over the next week or two though, so there's no rush.

Hip-hop is a genre I've flirted with on occasion but never really spent any time with. i suppose I've neglected her while taking out her more glamorous RnB sister.

Sic said:
they're still RnB dude. in my opinion (as i think that the generalisation of music is as subjective as the music itself) that's just RnB with a Rap break. the beats, bass and main voices are still very-much RnB

Ok. I will remeber that. :o

Can we look up that free encyclopedia for the definition of Hiphop and R n B please?

Gilly said:
Hip-hop is a genre I've flirted with on occasion but never really spent any time with. i suppose I've neglected her while taking out her more glamorous RnB sister.

that's where you've been going wrong...hip hop is the filfy slaag (sic) sister of RnB...i know what i prefer :D

i think Grime is labelled as UK hip hop purely beause it's more prolific than UK hip hop at the moment.

ElRazur said:
Can we look up that free encyclopedia for the definition of Hiphop and R n B please?

dont start. if you'd read my post correctly, you'd see that i said in my opinion, and even a whole load about how i see music genres as subjective. you're entitled to yours, i'm entitled to mine. if we can't agree, then just drop it.

Last edited:
Talib Kweli is one I've listened to a fair bit in the office. Rythmic beats but definitely hip-hop.

Even got a myspace!

Kinda reminds me of Jay-Z but good.

Carzy said:

Ultramagnetic MC's = old schooooooooooool, huge beats and classic 'rhymes'.

Deltron 3030 - Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (the dude that did the rapping for the Gorillaz on their first album) and DAn the AUtomator, an awesome hip hop DJ. Entire albums is based around a sci-fi kind of story. Quality. :)

There's my input, don't know a lot about the others so i don't want to comment but you could always put the names into last.fm or similar website (that MusicPlasma thingy?) and it'll give you samples, an artist description and similar bands/groups so you can get a very good idea of what they're like.

Mmkay? :)

Back
Top Bottom