Home Assistant beginners

Is a R-Pi (probably a 5 with SSD) definitely not a good idea for HA?

I've been running HA as a VM in Unraid but due to the length of time and number of updates I am at a point I've got issues with legacy integration baggage and side loaded stuff that is now officially supported that I want to clear it out and start again.

I have had a couple of server hardware issues that meant it was out of action for a week which was a PITA as all my automation stopped, and on top of that, I have dedicated cores/memory for the VM which I could free up for Unraid which at times is max'd out.

I can see people mentioning compatibility issues so just wanted to check if it's a daft idea!

I've been running on a 4 with SSD for a few years now, and I'd say I'm probably a med-heavy user. As an intro into HA it'll do you well, and last for a while.

Some of my energy monitoring devices are very chatty and those write out a lot to the database. I've now decided to move over a VM running on Proxmox - a) for the performance uplift and b) for the ease of backing up. Rather than having to deploy a new VM and then restore from backup I can just restore the entire VM.

What Zigbee controllers are people using? I've been running a Conbee2 for 5+ years now, and whilst it's been mostly good the range is a bit temperamental. I think support for Deconz is falling behind ZHA/Z2M, so looking to move forward with a slightly different setup, but also with much better range.

The contenders at the moment look to be:
- Sonoff zigbee 3.0 Plus E
- SMLight SLZB-06p7 (PoE)

I don't mind either PoE or USB.

The contenders at the moment look to be:
- Sonoff zigbee 3.0 Plus E
- SMLight SLZB-06p7 (PoE)

I have a couple of SMLight SLZB-06P7 and they have been excellent so far - I wanted to get away from USB due to issues with virtualisation and placement. The only odd thing I noticed is one of them showed much higher temperature readings than the other but checking with an IR thermometer and thermal camera showed no difference so I used the temperature sensor calibration feature to sort that.

I have a couple of SMLight SLZB-06P7 and they have been excellent so far - I wanted to get away from USB due to issues with virtualisation and placement. The only odd thing I noticed is one of them showed much higher temperature readings than the other but checking with an IR thermometer and thermal camera showed no difference so I used the temperature sensor calibration feature to sort that.

Interesting, you say a couple - was my understanding you could only run the one 'router' per network, with the idea of having repeaters to extend range / build redundancy. Do you have multiple zigbee networks set up? (Or are these in entirely different locations)

Interesting, you say a couple - was my understanding you could only run the one 'router' per network, with the idea of having repeaters to extend range / build redundancy. Do you have multiple zigbee networks set up? (Or are these in entirely different locations)

You can have multiple coordinators with Z2M using multiple instances or ZHA and Z2M at the same time. I did have two for a while to experiment with ZHA vs Z2M but am now back to one coordinator for all devices plus a number of dedicated routers (re-flashed Sonoff Zigbee Dongles) so the second SLZB-06P7 is a spare that I can put in service in a few minutes if ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom