Home Assistant beginners

Had a right nightmare with HA stability yesterday, added my SMLight zigbee radio the day before and added a few zigbee devices to test setup etc. I then noticed yesterday morning that HA was offline, so logged onto Proxmox to checkout the console and saw an out of memory crash. Bit odd as it's been allocated 4Gb and I could see from the graph it had just spiked.

Anyway it rebooted itself and I noticed a short while later the GUI had lost connection again. Back to the console and could see the out of memory error. I created an uptime sensor (no idea why I didn't have one already) and over the course of the day I could see it kept crashing every 23 minutes.

I went through the process of disabling ZHA as that was the last thing added, but no joy. I looked on the HA forums to see if anyone else was having stability issues with the latest release but nothing similar. Decided at this point I'd bump this install over to a different IP and then perform a VM restore from a couple of days ago to its place.

Gotta add, my first time using HA in a VM on Proxmox (still running my original config on raspberry pi until everything has fully ported over and stable) and the ability to be able to perform a full VM restore and booting HA back to full state all within a matter of minutes is an absolute blessing.

Anyway, very strangely my restore from a few days ago also started hitting out of memory errors despite being adamant this was not an issue at the time of the backup. I should add it's not a host issue either - I did check and I've never exceeded 40% of the total RAM, so host had plenty of memory for the VMs. Decided I'd scratch that install and go back a little over a week - just before I upgraded to the 8.3 release.

Having spent a few hours yesterday re-adding everything I had changed/set-up in the week since that current backup, it is now in a stable state. I haven't yet run through any updates - will modify my backup schedule to include the new VM and once I have a backup to roll back to I'll test the upgrade again.

Bit of a waffle but having in the past gone through the internal backup/restore functionality that HA provides (from what I recall) taking a couple of hours to fully restore, it sure was nice to be able to restore a fully working snapshot in a matter of minutes.

Has any one used these zigbee irrigation timers? Link

I currently use a very simple timer that runs morning and evening. But wondered about swapping to a couple of these and linking them up with Home Assistant so it can look at the weather forecast and not water if it's going to be raining.

I currently use a very simple timer that runs morning and evening. But wondered about swapping to a couple of these and linking them up with Home Assistant so it can look at the weather forecast and not water if it's going to be raining.

Oooh that looks very handy for when we've got our house

Yes! Have several and they're excellent!!!

I’m looking for and failing to find zigbee kitchen spotlights on an E27 fitting. Hue bulbs with the flat head would be ideal but they’re about 1.5cm too tall and this is where my problem starts… Has anyone found such a thing? I can see plenty bog standard bulbs but no zigbee or even WiFi enabled ones

Of course!

A few months back I got some svg cutting guides for a cool light box silhouette thingy but the cutter I've got (an ancient CraftRobo) is rubbish at cutting paper and card and it just ended up tearing or not cutting properly and caused me a massive headache. Seeing the frankly amazing xTool M1 Ultra in your video, I wondered, if you might be able to cut the card for me with it so I can finally make the blooming thing? (naturally I'd be happy to pay for the card/expenses etc :))

A few months back I got some svg cutting guides for a cool light box silhouette thingy but the cutter I've got (an ancient CraftRobo) is rubbish at cutting paper and card and it just ended up tearing or not cutting properly and caused me a massive headache. Seeing the frankly amazing xTool M1 Ultra in your video, I wondered, if you might be able to cut the card for me with it so I can finally make the blooming thing? (naturally I'd be happy to pay for the card/expenses etc :))
Hey - you want to drop me an email on my site or PM and we can chat! More than happy to help, just might need to join the queue a bit at the moment!! ;)

Understairs Govee LED strip controlled by contact sensor.

MZIcFL0.gif

I couldn't get it to do local control, I'm having to use a HACS add-on and the cloud

If I wanted a home station, say a touchscreen monitor with a calendar synced to our Google calendars, and some buttons to control the outdoor lights and irrigation... Would a Home Assistant Green strapped the back of said monitor be enough?

Or do I need to have the HAG next to the router for stability + WiFi adapters to something else on the monitor?

I think I've been thinking myself in circles

that won’t work. Your HA device is a server and if you hook it up to a monitor it just shows everything is working (hopefully!), the IP address and a couple other very basic bits of info.

You can certainly use a touchscreen monitor but you’ll need to add a device capable of connecting to the network (and so to your HA server) and displaying the HA web page. Something like a Raspberry Pi would work fine. You’d need to check the touchscreen has device drivers available for whatever you connect and that’s where I go out of my depth

that won’t work. Your HA device is a server and if you hook it up to a monitor it just shows everything is working (hopefully!), the IP address and a couple other very basic bits of info.

You can certainly use a touchscreen monitor but you’ll need to add a device capable of connecting to the network (and so to your HA server) and displaying the HA web page. Something like a Raspberry Pi would work fine. You’d need to check the touchscreen has device drivers available for whatever you connect and that’s where I go out of my depth

Gotcha. That's what I thought originally before I started confusing myself.

I have an old RPi3 I could use for now just to test. I'm sure I can get the touchscreen stuff working from some cursory googling.

Thanks this gives me a base to work from

As above.

A cheap Fire HD 10 refurb tablet is a good cheap choice, I’ve got 4 now and they have been excellent for my HA dashboard even with a lot of live CCTV.

Having an issue with my esp32s..they seem quite sensitive to WiFi range - like more than 3m line of sight it's just dead. Anyone have similar experience? Can I get ethernet versions?

Back
Top Bottom