Home Secretary (finally) allows CBD oil for Billy Caldwell.

Permabanned
That's jumping the gun there :)

Was a question in general, hemp oil, natural stuff, tablets, cream, vape stuff....

The list goes on, it's like a mine field.

Its all over Amazon and eBay, was not asking for medical advice btw.

Associate
Cannabis should be legal, it's the fact that it is illegal that is causing problems with mental health. Most weed now contains much more THC than CBD. If there was more CBD which is an anti psychotic we wouldn't have as many problems. Legalise and regulate.

Caporegime
Not sure where to put this but does this stuff actually work reducing anxiety naturally rather than taking prescribed tablets?

There is so much out there, where do you begin to look?

You mean like how alcohol or opium "naturally" reduces anxiety? Natural vs synthetic is not a rational way to think about drugs.

I've used a variety of drugs recreationally, including cannabis. I don't regard it as being laughable that it's illegal. Debateable? yes. Counter-productive? Maybe. Laughable? Not at all.

It is laughable when you've got the government endorsing the sale of alcohol and tobacco by handing out licenses to produce them, two of the most harmful drugs out there. The inconsistency is comedic.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not sure where to put this but does this stuff actually work reducing anxiety naturally rather than taking prescribed tablets?

There is so much out there, where do you begin to look?

I suggest starting by throwing away the word "naturally". It's nothing more than a false appeal to authority, usually for people to gain power/profit from. It's no different to, for example, a preacher saying that <insert a god here> approves of X but not Y, probably while selling X.

Arsenic is natural. Strychnine is natural. Botulinum toxin, by far the deadliest toxin known to exist, is natural. Does that make them healthier than, for example, aspirin?

Talc naturally contains asbestos. The asbestos is removed to create asbestos-free talc, which is therefore unnatural. Does that mean that talc should only be used in it's natural state, i.e. mixed with asbestos, despite the fact that it's carcinogenic? Is that healthier somehow?

This "natural" nonsense really gets on my ****.

Man of Honour
[..] It is laughable when you've got the government endorsing the sale of alcohol and tobacco by handing out licenses to produce them, two of the most harmful drugs out there. The inconsistency is comedic.

Part of the reason why alcohol and tobacco are the most harmful drugs is because of the scale of their use, which is an argument against legalising other drugs.

It's currently effectively impossible for the government to criminalise alcohol and tobacco. They're too well established. All they can do is exert some control over sales, which is what the licensing is for. That doesn't mean that it's automatically the same for other drugs. It's not a ridiculous inconsistency. It's consistent with practicality.

Permabanned
I suggest starting by throwing away the word "naturally". It's nothing more than a false appeal to authority, usually for people to gain power/profit from. It's no different to, for example, a preacher saying that <insert a god here> approves of X but not Y, probably while selling X.

Arsenic is natural. Strychnine is natural. Botulinum toxin, by far the deadliest toxin known to exist, is natural. Does that make them healthier than, for example, aspirin?

Talc naturally contains asbestos. The asbestos is removed to create asbestos-free talc, which is therefore unnatural. Does that mean that talc should only be used in it's natural state, i.e. mixed with asbestos, despite the fact that it's carcinogenic? Is that healthier somehow?

This "natural" nonsense really gets on my ****.

Very patronising. 'suggest' not really sure who you are but maybe come down from your high horse.

So your suggesting taking Arsenic to cure a headache rather than aspirin? What about using peppermint, magnesium, lavender
These are natural producing ingredients not some pumped up addictive aspirin tablets.

There is alternative to using talk, where did I mention natural is 100% safe?

Man of Honour
Very patronising. 'suggest' not really sure who you are but maybe come down from your high horse. [..]

People die because of the attitudes you contribute to. People die and other people profit from their death. This is not a harmless matter of fashion. It's not "just semantics". Being opposed to it is not being on a high horse. At least, it shouldn't be.

Permabanned
People die because of the attitudes you contribute to. People die and other people profit from their death. This is not a harmless matter of fashion. It's not "just semantics". Being opposed to it is not being on a high horse. At least, it shouldn't be.

People die because of my attitude of asking a harmless question regarding CBD oil? You seem a very strange person linking the two.

You seem to use a lot of fancy words and long replies in this thread so you seem intelligent. This does not mean you better than others. Please don't judge me, you have no idea who I am.

I'm not sure why I am replying to your quote, people die? Come off it.

Caporegime
Part of the reason why alcohol and tobacco are the most harmful drugs is because of the scale of their use, which is an argument against legalising other drugs.

It's currently effectively impossible for the government to criminalise alcohol and tobacco. They're too well established. All they can do is exert some control over sales, which is what the licensing is for. That doesn't mean that it's automatically the same for other drugs. It's not a ridiculous inconsistency. It's consistent with practicality.

It's not because of the scale of their use at all, their physical harm is unparalleled by most illegal drugs. Their carcinogenicity is unmatched, and alcohols hepatotoxity, cardiotoxicity and neurotoxicity results in harm you just don't get with most illegal drugs.

It's a weak, hypocritical, half measure which I find laughable.

Soldato

Are there any good points to alcohol and tobacco? None. Yet because you use them you skim over it.

People die from medications already available. Just because some people die doesn't mean all those medications should be withdrawn.

I don't know how some people can hold such a hypocritical position.

Man of Honour
People die because of my attitude of asking a harmless question regarding CBD oil? You seem a very strange person linking the two.

You seem to use a lot of fancy words and long replies in this thread so you seem intelligent. This does not mean you better than others. Please don't judge me, you have no idea who I am.

I'm not sure why I am replying to your quote, people die? Come off it.

People die because of the huge degree of false appeal to authority given to "natural". You were (and are) contributing to that fallacy. Your question was not harmless.

I "use a lot of fancy words and long replies" because I have a basic competence in English. The words I use are not actually "fancy" and the posts I make are not actually "long". The words I use are ordinary for anyone with a reasonable working vocabulary and the posts I make are short for anyone with a reasonable ability to read. I don't care how fashionable it is to reduce all writing to a couple of short sentences of very simple words.

It's not because of the scale of their use at all, their physical harm is unparalleled by most illegal drugs. Their carcinogenicity is unmatched, and alcohols hepatotoxity, cardiotoxicity and neurotoxicity results in harm you just don't get with most illegal drugs.

It's a weak, hypocritical, half measure which I find laughable.

That's a reasonable counter-argument, but I don't think it's reasonable to conclude that the scale of use of harmful drugs has no relevance at all to the scale of harm done by them. More users means more people harmed to whatever extent of harm is done by the drug.

Using the recreational drugs and drug delivery systems that cause the most harm to the most people as an argument in favour of legalising other recreational drugs is a flawed argument. It lends itself more strongly to arguing against legalising more recreational drugs than in favour of it. We don't know how much harm would be caused by, for example, making cocaine legally available as cheaply and widely as alcohol is now. But we can be sure there would be some harm from doing so.

If you're arguing that making a wider variety of recreational drugs legally, cheaply and widely available would change usage patterns towards less harmful recreational drugs without increasing the overall amount of usage of recreational drugs, well, that would be consistent with the position that doing so would reduce the amount of harm done. If that is your line of argument, what evidence do you have to support it? I think it makes sense and might be true, but I'd like to see evidence about it.

It's much harder to make a legal and widely used recreational drug illegal than it is to legalise a recreational drug, so it's not accurate to call opposing legalisation of more recreational drugs hypocritical just because some recreational drugs are already legal. Look what happened when the USA made the recreational use of alcohol illegal. That made things much worse for the USA, not better.

Are there any good points to alcohol and tobacco? None. Yet because you use them you skim over it. [..]

No I don't and no I don't. Try again.

I use alcohol rarely and in small doses because it has two good points for me. Firstly, I enjoy it. Which is the sole point of a recreational drug. Secondly, it reduces the amount of pain I feel.

I don't use tobacco and I would support an immediate ban on it. Not because it's a recreational drug. Not even because of the harm it does to users. But because of the harm it does to other people.

I don't skim over the harm done by either alcohol or tobacco. In the very post you "replied" to, I stated that alcohol and tobacco "the most harmful drugs". You quoted that in your "reply". I would be interested in how you interpreted describing alcohol and tobacco as the most harmful drugs as skimming over the harm done by them.

I'd legalise cannabis for recreational use for a drug delivery system other than smoking. Eating, drinking, topical, powdered and snorted if that would work, even vaping (which does intrude on other people and is therefore wrong). But not smoking. I'd legalise it with heavy regulation and with a view to changing that regulation in response to the results of research into dosage levels, the importance of proportions of the various cannabinoids and whatever other information is relevant because I would be trying to allow it while minimising the harm done. Which cannabis advocates don't care about. But I do.

Caporegime
[QUOTE="Angilion" ]... [/QUOTE]

I'm not arguing for drug legalisation on the basis that alcohol is legal, I just find it ridiculous to have a completely inconsistent legal system, it is impossible for me to take the justice system credibly as a result of the massive inconsistencies the UK has in many aspects of law.

My primary argument is an ethical one based on individual freedoms. And a secondary one being that prohibition causes more harm to society than the drugs would do otherwise. I personally have no doubt that some people would move away from more harmful drugs like alcohol to less harmful ones if legalised, I only drink alcohol in public because less harmful alternatives are criminalised.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hasn't CBD oil been available for ages? You can get it in plenty of places. I thought it was Rick Simpson Oil which Billy needed?

You can legally buy CBD oil and have been able to for yonks! What you can't buy is CBD oil containing THC. This then begs the question....was CBD oil a placebo

Soldato
It's weird. You can buy 'hemp flowers' online which have a high CBD content but has under 0.2THC content.

I bought CBD for my vape last year, i noticed a bit of relaxation in my muscles but nothing to make me buy it again

Soldato
I use alcohol rarely and in small doses because it has two good points for me. Firstly, I enjoy it. Which is the sole point of a recreational drug. Secondly, it reduces the amount of pain I feel.

But alcohol causes so many deaths and is a money drain on the NHS by clogging up the system. Not to mention the strain on the police up and down the country, especially on friday and saturday nights with drunks breaking the law.

I don't use tobacco and I would support an immediate ban on it. Not because it's a recreational drug. Not even because of the harm it does to users. But because of the harm it does to other people.

So you recognise the impact on society of tobacco and want an immediate ban. But nothing on alcohol? Both cause a drain on society.

I don't skim over the harm done by either alcohol or tobacco. In the very post you "replied" to, I stated that alcohol and tobacco "the most harmful drugs". You quoted that in your "reply". I would be interested in how you interpreted describing alcohol and tobacco as the most harmful drugs as skimming over the harm done by them

Because you have an inconsistant position depending on if you use a substance or not i.e. keep alcohol legal, no matter the drain on society and health. I would say alcohol is more damaging to society than any other drug.

My interpretation of you are saying about the most harmful drugs was because you are pushing a line against cannabis saying its harmful and should be banned, even though study after study (which I've already posted on the thread) shows that deaths from cannabis are extremely low (even though its currently illegal) compared to the deaths that have implicated alcohol, tobacco and other medications derived from illegal drugs. If you are going to have a position that if a few people die from a drug that it should be banned, then surely the logical position would be to ban all drugs that are involved in death?

My position is if society is allowing these other drugs to be available then they should also allow cannabis, at the very least for medical purposes. That is a logical position. You either have to back all drugs, especially the ones with medical benefits, or ban all drugs because they cause deaths.

I'd legalise cannabis for recreational use for a drug delivery system other than smoking. Eating, drinking, topical, powdered and snorted if that would work, even vaping (which does intrude on other people and is therefore wrong). But not smoking. I'd legalise it with heavy regulation and with a view to changing that regulation in response to the results of research into dosage levels, the importance of proportions of the various cannabinoids and whatever other information is relevant because I would be trying to allow it while minimising the harm done. Which cannabis advocates don't care about. But I do.

Now this part I can agree with, which isn't what you've been appearing to say on the thread before. In this paragraph you have accepted that there is some medical purposes for cannabis. As for the part about studies and regulation I would say they have already been done in other countries. The head of the medical board in this country as given the go ahead to legalise medical cannabis products and we're just now waiting for the government to set it in motion, which I believe its said to be available in Autumn. So the case as been proven in this country.

I suspect there is a wider issue going on with cannabis being legalised, just like it is across the western world. It kind of reminds me how at some point the tobacco industry survived years of bad publicity but was always still around. Then suddenly something changed and it immediately fell out of favour. This seems to be happening in reverse with cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom