Homeworld 3 - Released 13th May 2024 (early access 10th May)

Soldato
The UI seems huge on 4k
Tutorial graphics are "okay". I deffo think there are performance issues both in game and the menu. Bit of stutter in game.
HDR calibration doesn't work yet :( But HDR seemed okay anyway.
Controls etc seem pretty much the same as 1/2 so that's good (I think they are at least, some of it was familiar.), though I was finding the move order commands a bit finicky. Didn't feel "fluid" moving about, I was getting a bit annoyed with trying to navigate with my camera as it felt like I was in some kind of box, that may be a tutorial issue though.
Tutorial was boring, the box with instructions was in the way most of the time.
Hope the avatars move in the final game instead of a static image.

I look forward to playing the story.

I'm a bit disappointed so far but maybe the full game will be better? They need a new demo that's for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato
Restarting my game made it look a bit better?
You should mess with the camera sensitivity in the settings menu and also the FOV, makes a huge difference!
Seems like performance issues are mostly in the tutorial.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
double the zoom rate and the cam pan speeds, makes it feel more like the old games that way from when i was messing about with it for a little bit before bed last night after it finally dled. Im a bit irked by you cant click on units untill ur near em with the cam when the health bar is visible and even then the bar isnt to scale sometimes or above the ship, i.e ms in the tutorial. middle click after selection still locks focus on selected units tho and then can zoom in etc and pan to enjoy the view still.

Soldato
I didn't notice any performance issues in the tutorial on my 3080 but then I don't know what settings it was running - just the default out of the box.

Soldato
Steam - who uses epic?

On a more serious note, just played though the demo, it seemed fine performance wise. I did encounter a bug where my camera controls stopped working but a lot of alt-tabbing sorted it.

the demo was pretty easy and the unit cap is pretty low but I guess that's by design at this point although I did let my harvesters get blown up at one point.

Soldato
Yeah, it defaulted to max settings for me but I had to turn on RTX shadows, maybe that was breaking performance in the tutorial. The game did feel clunky as someone else said. Hopefully the story will be good enough to look passed any minor issues. I mean, I played hw1/2 near their release dates so could be a case of just nostalgia making me think the game is worse.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Jesus christ the multi direction movement and and UI overlay is just... awful as bad a step as HW2 was from 1.

I played an hour but was totally struggling to enjoy the ships and scenary. Slowest rotation ever and broken camera panning or do i need to set 700000dpi?

I really hope it gets a bit more fluid.

I hope not everymap is this terrain in space...

Associate
I've been looking forward to this for so long, but given the early feedback and now delay it looks like there is a reasonable chance that they will have fluffed it :(

Soldato
I don’t think they will have fluffed it at all, a lot of the criticism is minor niggles of control in a genre of game that doesn’t really have a lot of “standards” for look and feel. I think they’re just wanting to polish to ensure success first time, rather than a fix-forward approach.

Back
Top Bottom