Homeworld 3 - Released 13th May 2024 (early access 10th May)

Man of Honour
How is it so far guys? I know it's early doors but I'm waiting for reviews. I'm a day 1 HW player from 1999 so don't want my love for the series tainted.

I've largely stayed away from Homeworld after the first game, I don't think anything would really live up to my experience of playing the early part of the original game back in 1999.

Associate
How is it so far guys? I know it's early doors but I'm waiting for reviews. I'm a day 1 HW player from 1999 so don't want my love for the series tainted.
I'm in the same boat. Really want to buy this but I don't buy games until they are reviewed. It's the only way to reward good devs and not support lazy/bad devs. Don't preorder games guys!

Soldato
I forgot about this, but the bullet and picked it up from CDKeys last night (steam pricing is £lol).

I only played the first mission, it’s pretty much Homeworld.

I remember the controls being a bit jank on the demo but they patched it during the course of it being live. It works a little differently to the older games but it seems fine. You can swap to ‘classic’ camera controls if you want.

I've largely stayed away from Homeworld after the first game, I don't think anything would really live up to my experience of playing the early part of the original game back in 1999.
If you do nothing else, play the remastered collection, it’s great.

The prequel (ship breakers) which is a land based RTS is also good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got slow net so cant play till tomorra grr.

just upgraded to fiber recently so know the pain.. 12 hrs for BG3
general review seem favorible
The prequel (ship breakers) which is a land based RTS is also good.
i think you mean Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
still on my "to play" list, but its on my "own list"...

i still need to revisit homeworld remastered as well..

incidentally if people are not aware there is also a VR Homeworld game : Homeworld: Vast Reaches
for those interested. set netween Cataclysum and HW2 i think if i have the timing correct.

Associate
Same reason I'm not going near it for at least a month.

I played the demo and it was not good.
I was also not keen on the demo but I've heard they have improved the controls.
I remember it so well, I can’t believe it was 25 years ago. What an amazing game it was. Very few games have ever created such an atmosphere.

I will get round to buying this one at some point, but no rush…
I remember it crystal clear too. I was 19. Finished work at my crappy teenage retail job and got bus straight into Birmingham City Centre, picked up a copy, got back, installed and fell in love.
Nothing compares to the original HW for me. I liked Cataclysm but wasn't as good. HW2 I could not get along with.

Caporegime
Yeah the remastered version was "nasty" i don't think i got past mission 8 replaying it.
Id start with a fairly decent sized fleet but of the wrong composition to attack and defeat the first waves of CPU ships. It was BS tbh.
They were on the scene in 30-45 seconds? They would just push through everything and blow up the mothership. Was crap. i never could be arsed to redo it.
tainted my memory a bit. Could you turn off that CPU getting a comparable fleet at the start of each mission bs?

HW1 was one of those games that was groundbreaking and came at just the right time to make younger efour very happy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
someone on steam claims they completed the campaign in 8 hours.

I'm out when hey are charging 50+ minimum for that and trying to milk early access.

see you at £25

people are saying the story is crap too

ARE THERE ANY CHARACTERS IN HOMEWORLD 3 YOU ARE ESPECIALLY PROUD OF HELPING SHAPE?​

The relationship between Imogen and Isaac was especially rewarding to work on. Imogen is a S’Jet, and in the Age of S’Jet, that comes with quite a bit of baggage and expectation. Imogen must bear the weight of other people’s expectations of her and the constant comparisons between her and Karan S’Jet. And while it’s true that Imogen is a S’Jet and a brilliant scientific mind, there’s more to her than those things. Her own belief systems, her moral compass, her dreams for her future, they all exist in spite of the expectations and plans others make for her. So when Imogen is called to duty, when she is asked to step into a role she never really wanted, she has to try to keep herself in focus. She has to hold onto what makes her Imogen while also being a S’Jet.

Isaac doesn’t make that easy for Imogen. Isaac isn’t in the business of making things easy for anyone, really. Isaac’s life is defined by rules, by a sense of duty. Where Imogen struggled under the expectations of others, Isaac thrives. As a Paktu, Isaac understands that rules and protocol are essential to survival. Isaac also understands that one must often sacrifice to ensure the survival of the many. He is a pragmatic realist, and his long military experience has given him ample reason to be. When he meets Imogen, he sees someone who lacks experience. He sees an idealist. He sees a scientist. He sees someone who is really going to push his buttons. In Isaac, Imogen sees another person trying to weigh and measure her worth. They are not natural friends, nor is there established trust between them, but they have a shared mission. A mission they both believe in. How to accomplish the mission, on the other hand…

Cringe, is it a sweet baby inc game? or just wrote by an intern with 0 life experience?

I don't remember any scifi audio books I listen to ever having these weird female characters...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
someone on steam claims they completed the campaign in 8 hours.

I'm out when hey are charging 50+ minimum for that and trying to milk early access.

see you at £25

people are saying the story is crap too

Cringe, is it a sweet baby inc game? or just wrote by an intern with 0 life experience?

I don't remember any scifi audio books I listen to ever having these weird female characters...

Damn. I guess will get it when either I have no new games to play or when on humble bundle or something :(

Soldato

Homeworld has always had ‘weird female characters’, bit if an odd take considering you’ve not actually played it and you’ve snipped that from some interview. It probably says more about you than the game.

Damn. I guess will get it when either I have no new games to play or when on humble bundle or something :(
If you want to try the game, buy it on steam and you’ve got 2 hours to refund it.

It’s 30% cheaper on key reselling websites. Rebuy it there, it will probably be half the price by the end of the year anyway.

Steam is the last place I get my reviews these days, it’s just too easy to review bomb, likewise, from someone who hasn’t actually played it either and is reposting comments from ‘their mate down the pub’.

Soldato
That’s the one, I think ship breakers was the pre-release/development name for it.
Nope. Hardspace : Shipbreakers is a completely different thing, it's a first person game where you physically break up spaceships. It's pretty good. I think it was originally meant to be in the Homeworld IP but wasn't in the end, although it has very obvious aesthetic similarities.

Back
Top Bottom