Horizon: Forbidden West

Soldato
Having a hard time distinguishing between performance and resolution in terms of visuals, so I'm playing on Performance, it feels nice. Playing on an LG 55" CX but I've not seen any videos comparing the two side by side, so wonder if I'm missing much.

Enjoying the gameplay so far, playing on Hard and don't mind the changes I've seen thus far. I played HZD twice and got the platinum for it and finished Frozen Wilds, but the story hasn't gripped me just yet... I'm sure it will.

Man of Honour
I dont know if its just me or i have missed something but she will often say something like "Fire arrows would work well here" but i dont have fire arrows.. :/

On the topic of fire arrows, they seem to have been nerfed.

Has anyone found a decent valor to use yet?

The first Hunter one is decent. Going for the shield next and then probably the first melee one now that I realise melee is almost essential in many instances.

Soldato
I use the one that is the cloak. It’s great for getting past loads of machines or enemies. I have it fully maxed and is pretty good. Some enemies with radar can sometimes see you but popping it and getting to a Cauldron door makes things a bit easier. That said you can also do it easy if there is a high point near by and then you just glide in.

Soldato
I read that you should streamline the main story until you get to the main quest
deaths door
as this will allow you to unlock all the extra gear needed to get to every area that’s unreachable at the start.

Soldato
Has anyone found a decent valor to use yet?
No, im not a fan of the skills full stop none of them seem to suite how I play, too many skills for a combo hit which I'll never remember the button sequence for as well. I'd rather it be all increases to attack or health.

Associate
I read that you should streamline the main story until you get to the main quest
deaths door
as this will allow you to unlock all the extra gear needed to get to every area that’s unreachable at the start.

Annoying, I hated it when this was done in Tomb Raider. Not sure why they thought this was a good idea. We're not talking about riding directly across the map from east to west, this is the beginnings.

Soldato
Having a hard time distinguishing between performance and resolution in terms of visuals, so I'm playing on Performance, it feels nice. Playing on an LG 55" CX but I've not seen any videos comparing the two side by side, so wonder if I'm missing much.

Enjoying the gameplay so far, playing on Hard and don't mind the changes I've seen thus far. I played HZD twice and got the platinum for it and finished Frozen Wilds, but the story hasn't gripped me just yet... I'm sure it will.

All I can see is that the framerate is so much worse it's not even worth it. Surprised DF recommended it. They should just make these games run and look as best they can without the option to change it. It made sense with the PS4 Pro because it was an upgraded console but if it's a PS5 game then just make it one. I guess resolution might matter to some but to me performance is everything as long as it looks nice as well!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
deaths door

You still need to get slightly further than that for other locked places.

I’m not a fan of it tbh. I hate having to backtrack, but at least those locations are maked on the map. It doesn’t make the ‘open world exploration’ feel as open as it should.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't fully get the complaints re aloy looks, is this because she isn't what most of society deem as sexy, fit, typical model view?

I understand the animation complaints as that can apply to most games.

I don't see anything wrong with how aloy looks it's actually refreshing she isn't some stick thin model.

V F

V F

Soldato
On the topic of fire arrows, they seem to have been nerfed.

Are you sure? Maybe not end game? They were powerful end game on the first game. 3 fire arrows and Glinthawks would drop from the sky on Very Hard. Not dead though but keeping them under status effects kept them on the ground flapping away without pestering you.

Soldato
I have just had a thought. Something that I have not seen in the game yet is the harpoon weapon thingy that ties them down so you can go in and melee them. Is this still in the game? I don’t recall seeing it at weapons merchants. Was it the Ropecaster?

V F

V F

Soldato
That was a fantastic weapon for the Stormbirds and Thunderjaws. More so the Scorchers. Anything big and fast you could pin them down, spam the wires and they would take forever to get free. Pin them down, spam fire arrows and cables, burn forever.

Caporegime
I have just had a thought. Something that I have not seen in the game yet is the harpoon weapon thingy that ties them down so you can go in and melee them. Is this still in the game? I don’t recall seeing it at weapons merchants. Was it the Ropecaster?

I've seen a merchant selling it at either the first hunting lodge or Barren light

Soldato
Ah ok, maybe i just overlooked it. It was great fun as VF said and was invaluable for Glinthawks and Stormbirds.

I do miss not having the exploding tripwires that i can spam all over the place yet.. :( Hopefully i will get them soon. :D I am assuming that you have to update the traps section to get the ability to increase the max number of traps at once?

V F

V F

Soldato
Those exploding wires were crazy. You could set up a minefield. Shock, explosive and fire wires everywhere. 6 on each I think I could lay down back then. Everything was exploding and stunned. In between the bubble and other explosives waiting to go off. It was fun in the dungeons. Even against the chargers and fire bellowbacks.

Soldato
I don't fully get the complaints re aloy looks, is this because she isn't what most of society deem as sexy, fit, typical model view?

I understand the animation complaints as that can apply to most games.

I don't see anything wrong with how aloy looks it's actually refreshing she isn't some stick thin model.

Sorry I might have missed it. Is anyone complaining about how she looks?

V F

V F

Soldato
Aloy is thin and quite sexy sometimes but she's thicc with some of the big armoured suits.

33093245424_8da6bfe5ae_b.jpg

33936895265_3f16f5c68a_b.jpg

33123915133_32946cb036_b.jpg

33214418595_c4652a9ed2_b.jpg

Caporegime
It feels to me like the Ropecaster has been nerfed as well. Unless it's because it's only green level and I was trying to do a Bristleback with it. I couldn't tie it down before it broke free. I have yet to see a blue version. In fact, it's only now at level 22 that I feel I'm getting to grips with the combat. I have most of the arrows I had in the original game so I feel more comfortable. But you are still jumped on way too much by over-agressive machines. I guess Hephaestus has altered their programming. :p

Back
Top Bottom