Horizon: Forbidden West

Man of Honour
I've found I'm doing that as well. The bows are OK when you haven't been spotted or you're far away but relatively close they're useless. The enemies move too fast to be able to target parts and most of them can jump a huge distance to attack you.

This is why concentration is such an important skill. I’ll also be levelling melee up next since I’ve used it so much.

Wish I had more time to play at the moment!

Soldato
I've mostly invested in the stealth skills so far. The r1 silent strike kills the smallest machines in 1 hit. You can usually take out a field of enemies without having to fight and earn some easy xp. I'm level 13 ish and have most of the best stealth perks including the harder to spot one at the bottom. The stealth camo is also pretty handy to use. I figure after this I'll improve my attack and get some decent firepower next.

Soldato
You can slow things down using right stick push which helps aim at parts of the machines. The combat once they get close does become a bit of a hack, slash and hope at times.

V F

V F

Soldato
Can't remember the specifics for them but is there a way to disable its elemental attacks by shooting some other part of it? Ah! Perhaps try using some Purgewater against it. It's weak against that and purgewater stops elemental attacks. I've yet to find a bow with purgewater capability but there are some traps.

Then again, does it spit rocks made from earth or ice? I might be getting confused with shellsnapper.

EDIT: Another possibility - shoot tear arrows at its mouth in the hope they pop out a tusk? I've not had to bother with all this on easy mode, you can loot everything when the machine dies.

EDIT2: Destroying the vacuum unit will stop it sucking up rocks to throw.

I'll check again tonight. I could not get a clear shot even on the slowing aiming mode as it was moving its mouth so fast when open even in slow motion by the time the arrow hit.

I was so frustrated trying to get those parts off I went gung-ho into the
story cauldron, Repair Bay Tau at level 12. :cry: Managed to get the beast (Grimhorn) down to half health then the scrapper decides to focus me and one shots me with a swipe.

I started fearing what was lying ahead when Zo started mentioning a cave and then feared a cauldron was coming.

What an amazing place that was. Though, I've noticed a lot of the clunky mechanics still exists in this from the first game. Input lag not registering when trying to run during battles. Getting stuck on stupid places on all the uneven floors. Getting stuck and the camera cannot see where you are. The downtimes of being staggered as other machines are allowed time to follow up on pounding you as it takes forever to get back up.

Soldato
The biggest drawback I found with the original was the stealth aspect.

Slowly creeping from one clump of tall grass to another, having to track and tag, whistle and throw rocks and then one hit kill until you have a pile of dinobots to loot.

I don't mind a bit of stealth here and there but that was too much and I faded away from it. Is it more of the same with Forbidden West? I'd prefer a more simple, run in guns (well bow and spear) blazing approach.

Associate
Definitely not loving the platforming, no faith in the controls to register hits so end up being frustrated when she doesn't do what you want (having to start again) or just sits stuck on something 2 feet off the ground. Very much reminds me AC:Black Flag in that regard. You got can't beat smoothness of controls with Uncharted or Tomb Raider remakes of late.

Side note: can we move on from moving boxes around to jump off? Is this 2004 or something? Not helped by painfully slow walking pulling them about.

They need to tone down these two areas in the next game or really dial in the refinement, polish.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The biggest drawback I found with the original was the stealth aspect.

Slowly creeping from one clump of tall grass to another, having to track and tag, whistle and throw rocks and then one hit kill until you have a pile of dinobots to loot.

I don't mind a bit of stealth here and there but that was too much and I faded away from it. Is it more of the same with Forbidden West? I'd prefer a more simple, run in guns (well bow and spear) blazing approach.

Eh? You didn't have to use stealth at all in the original if you didn't want to

Soldato
Had to laugh last night. Had to travel to a camp that was quite far and happened to go past a bandit camp. Then all chaos broke loose and the bandits started to fight with a big group of pretty powerful machines that could enrage themselves (ones that looks a bit like scorpions that stand their tails up to fire out acid) i hid in the grass just watching it play out for about 20-30 minutes and then proceeded to kill the remaining machines that now were very low on health and then snuck into the camp that now only had 2 sharpshooters guarding it, stealth killed them and took over a pretty tough looking camp. :D

Soldato
Tbh I’m quite far in now and finding the combat frustrating at times. Actually seeing what you are attacking is hard as the camera likes to go into a bush or wall and when running Alloy likes to get stuck on everything she can causing you to take damage.

Soldato
Tbh I’m quite far in now and finding the combat frustrating at times. Actually seeing what you are attacking is hard as the camera likes to go into a bush or wall and when running Alloy likes to get stuck on everything she can causing you to take damage.
I wish more games had a FOV slider, i usually like at least 95deg.
I find you can't see enough when in close.

V F

V F

Soldato

It's making me queasy a lot of the times that I have to quit it. The first game never really made me queasy.

Soldato
It's making me queasy a lot of the times that I have to quit it. The first game never really made me queasy.
I am starting to feel the same - it is mainly because I feel frustrated with the tomb raider/uncharted style exploration/puzzle of the old ruins.

One of the first ruins you find in the West is by a small camp of NPC's. You can't get in through the front door so once you're inside via other means, you need a power cell. I can't find it anywhere but I assume it is behind these red sodding crystals that I can't yet get past. Well if I find the means to do so later on, I doubt I shall remember this particular ruin to return to.

I get fatigued constantly panning around looking for visual clues so I don't know if it is the 30fps frame rate on the Pro or what. I have reached 'Deaths Door', and struggled killing these Kangaroo like gits nearby because I couldn't pan around fast enough during combat. Rolling doesn't seem to have the invincibility frames it once did too.

Going to move the Pro away from the big TV and to my 1080p PC/desk monitor to see if that helps. Couch gaming on a TV is something I rarely do and I prefer gaming at my desk.

Man of Honour
I am starting to feel the same - it is mainly because I feel frustrated with the tomb raider/uncharted style exploration/puzzle of the old ruins.

One of the first ruins you find in the West is by a small camp of NPC's. You can't get in through the front door so once you're inside via other means, you need a power cell. I can't find it anywhere but I assume it is behind these red sodding crystals that I can't yet get past. Well if I find the means to do so later on, I doubt I shall remember this particular ruin to return to.

I get fatigued constantly panning around looking for visual clues so I don't know if it is the 30fps frame rate on the Pro or what. I have reached 'Deaths Door', and struggled killing these Kangaroo like gits nearby because I couldn't pan around fast enough during combat. Rolling doesn't seem to have the invincibility frames it once did too.

Going to move the Pro away from the big TV and to my 1080p PC/desk monitor to see if that helps. Couch gaming on a TV is something I rarely do and I prefer gaming at my desk.

Yeah, you’ll have to come back to that ruin. That’s the one that forced me to push on with the story.

V F

V F

Soldato

Oh! I'll have to go back there tonight then. But yes, the panning when puzzle solving looking up and down for items is making me feel ill. More so in ruin areas.

Those Kangaroos are evil on Very Hard. They'll one shot me or pretty close with those electric shocks.

The first time I saw those I couldn't help think of... That and the fact I was in a sandy area. 3 came hopping my way. :D

Associate
Finished Zero Dawn tonight, got it free when the Ps4 Pro came out (bit of a late starter I know) fantastic story line and stunning for a game thats over 4 years old.

Forbidden West here I come :)

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom