Horizon: Forbidden West

Man of Honour
I'm beginning to think the bows are utterly useless. They seem to do so little damage and you are constantly knocked over by machines that you may as well just go around clobbering everything with your spear.

I'm having moments now where I'm thinking "I don't like this game at all" but then something happens with the story and I'm "Oooh, this is interesting." I think I'd rather watch a film of it and not have to mess about with all the bits in between. First time I've ever thought that. And I absolutely loved the first game so I really don't know why I feel this way.

On the one hand they’ve made it more tactical with bows forcing you to go for ‘chain reaction’ hits, yet the machines rush you more than ever, so I find myself using melee more than ever. I’m finding maximum concentration to be an essential perk. I’m struggling to find a decent bow at the moment.

Ahh this is interesting. I was wondering what was or was not available to pick in the Daunt. I'm only Level 7 and have just got to the second main settlement. I've come across a number of blocked paths / missing tool. Can I assume you can pick this up in the Daunt itself?

No, you’ll have to come back later.

Caporegime
They're certainly not weak - I can two shot some of the creatures with my hunter's bow and sharpshooter bow. And I'm still in the Daunt, at lvl 10. Have you upgraded any of your gear ? As the game states, your power is mostly derived from doing just that, not levelling. Last night I unlocked an achievement for completely upgrading three weapons ... apparently only 25% of players have done this. I think this illustrates that many players are probably just rushing through the initial segment to reach the "Forbidden West". Without upgrading your gear creatures like the Fanghorns and Bristlebacks are considerably tougher to deal with.

I've got a mix of green bows (at level 3) and some blue bows (at level 2). It took me a while to cotton on that there are now three different types for close combat (warrior), mid-range combat (hunter) and ranged combat (sharpshooter). I've been putting skills into the hunter tree but even with the valor active for extra damage, it seems to do bugger all. So I am now leaning more towards the warrior/melee side.

Soldato
I still have one or two markers indicating a "blocked path", and I'm just about to hit the second settlement / quest hub proper. But already, without really trying, I have 3 weapons fully upgraded ( with weapon coils added ) which makes a huge difference to combat effectiveness. So I just want to encourage people to sloooow down, take their time and enjoy the game ....
OK; I'm going to calm it and also upgrade pouch capacities etc. I guess i'll have to wait to see if you get the tool to continue through those blocked path locations within the Daunt itself.

Caporegime
So I just want to encourage people to sloooow down, take their time and enjoy the game ....

I think that's very good advice to start following. As soon as I got out in the Tenakth territory, I legged it straight down to see
Las Vegas
which is about 5 levels above me so no wonder combat was a bit tricky.

Soldato
After playing for about 18 hours over the weekend it is showing that i am 15% completed.. lol. I have been doing some side missions and going back and forth.

I have just got The Base and the 3 paths opened but didn't go any further. I do like the aspect of the technologically advanced people coming to play. I do have a feeling that its going to end on a cliff-hanger but i might be wrong. My prediction story wise with the people is that the ship made it to the other place and in the last 1000 years they have messed that up and attempting to initialise the system to rebuild earth so they/their ancestors can move back once its sorted.

Soldato
They emailed and said they despatched Wednesday, obviously that was rubbish...
I think they do despatch to distribution centers 1-2 days before release it's just that the next link in the chain never happened. Storm is pretty bad up here today as well. Oh well, I am well into Cyberpunk right now so I am not going to rage about it. It'll turn up when it does.

V F

V F

Soldato
After playing for about 18 hours over the weekend it is showing that i am 15% completed.. lol. I have been doing some side missions and going back and forth.

I have just got The Base and the 3 paths opened but didn't go any further. I do like the aspect of the technologically advanced people coming to play. I do have a feeling that its going to end on a cliff-hanger but i might be wrong. My prediction story wise with the people is that the ship made it to the other place and in the last 1000 years they have messed that up and attempting to initialise the system to rebuild earth so they/their ancestors can move back once its sorted.

Ah... the
super humans. Felt like General Zod and his crew.

I did love the
Hades
interaction.

Max level is 50, so that 15% progress is ages away. :cry:

I jump into streams sometimes to see how far they've progressed and 3 - 4 hours later they've only jumped maybe 4 levels.

Caporegime
My prediction story wise with the people is that the ship made it to the other place and in the last 1000 years they have messed that up and attempting to initialise the system to rebuild earth so they/their ancestors can move back once its sorted.

Yeah, I like that. But I'm also wondering about Tilda (Carrie Ann-Moss). In a voice recording with Elisabet Sobeck, 1000 years earlier, it's the same woman's voice and name. So is the new Tilda a clone of the old one, has the original been in cryosleep for hundreds of years or have they found a way to prolong life and stop ageing or something. It's all exciting stuff.

Soldato
I honestly am loving the narrative, then again i did in the first game.

I think i am at lvl 17 so far. After doing the base part and found out that i can get overrides for the new machines but need to do some hunting. I am not sure if its just me though but am i missing something with weapons? From what i can recall, in the original she gained access to new weapons as the game went on (Like you do with the pullcaster/igniter) but in the new game i dont seem to be getting that. I had to buy one of the sharpshot bows and even then it didnt have the ability to use better arrows. I know there is a tear arrow as when i met up with the hot asian hunter she was firing them at the turtle machine but i have not found them yet. They are a great tool for knocking off machine parts from a distance.

Although it looks amazing and the story is great, i have experienced the odd bug/glitch. i had a weird one where she was stuck in one pose but would just float about like that and i couldnt jump or grapple. Had to find a close campfire and save and reload and it sorted it. I have also seen some odd pop in/out at certain stages. The swimming can also be a bit clunky.

I am playing on Prefer Resolution rather than framerate as much as i love the visuals is there a big benefit to playing at the lower resolution and higher framerate?

Soldato
I think they do despatch to distribution centers 1-2 days before release it's just that the next link in the chain never happened. Storm is pretty bad up here today as well. Oh well, I am well into Cyberpunk right now so I am not going to rage about it. It'll turn up when it does.
Ahh didn't know they used a third party for distribution.

Man of Honour
Apparently there are enough skill points in the game to unlock everything? I’m shifting my build slightly, although it’s going to take time. I need to progress in the plot to unlock some equipment, but I’m reluctant to push on too much.

The last plot I did was in the backup room. Such an excellent scene and opens up many questions.

I’ve got loads of items that Aloy ‘doesn’t know what to do with yet’.

Caporegime
I've just gone through the gate to to man's land and
The attack that occurs and subsequent battle

Enjoying it so far, but that moment when.

The Tenakth soldier faces down a charging rebel robot Dino and actually managed to stop it for a few seconds before his hand got sawn off was laughable. He would have been smashed though like a twig

I know it happens to Aloy all the time, but she's the main playable character so has to be gamified.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just playing the first one at the moment before I get this one and I just cannot understand how they made such a bad face for Aloy vs pretty much everyone else in the game.

There is just something weird about it. The less said about the facial animations and voice acting the better for the most part but the faces are decent enough...apart from Aloys.

Soldato
Just playing the first one at the moment before I get this one and I just cannot understand how they made such a bad face for Aloy vs pretty much everyone else in the game.

There is just something weird about it. The less said about the facial animations and voice acting the better for the most part but the faces are decent enough...apart from Aloys.
Faces and water. Was pretty poor tbh. Luckily the gameplay made up for it.

Back
Top Bottom