Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Associate
I got this with my Pro bundle and am really struggling to enjoy/get into it. Yes, the game looks absolutely fantastic but the gameplay mechanics/combat just isn't enjoyable I'm finding. Does it take getting to a particular point in the game to get the "holy **** balls" this game is amazing feeling?

Associate
I got this with my Pro bundle and am really struggling to enjoy/get into it. Yes, the game looks absolutely fantastic but the gameplay mechanics/combat just isn't enjoyable I'm finding. Does it take getting to a particular point in the game to get the "holy **** balls" this game is amazing feeling?

No.

Either enjoy it from start or you don't

Soldato
Having put this game on hold for ages (playing too many games on and off!), I have recently returned to this gem, and loving it still!

Still not picked up the super suit thingy, nor done any of the hunter's lodge things - but have the entire map opened up and most campfires found - it's still great, and I've gone back to the main quest now; just finished a big mission and been dumped into an arena with no weapons! Fun times though :)

Soldato
No.

Either enjoy it from start or you don't

I've been playing it for a couple of hours but I'm not finding it particularly entertaining. It just feels like a much more linear 3rd person skyrim? Zelda:BOTW was way better then this so far IMO.

Also, the graphics don't seem that impressive for a game many rated as being visually the best of the year on ps4. There is a lot to see but all the scenery and models look very pixelated and low fidelity? Maybe it's better on the PS4 pro though?

The hype certainly hasn't hit me yet!

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't blown away either so I've ditched it for a while after playing it for about 8 hours or so. I will give it another go at some point but right now I am enjoying playing Skyrim on the Switch. Post Zelda open world games aren't doing that well for me actually - I couldn't get in to The Witcher 3 either. Happened as well after I finished Bloodborne - some games are so good that everything else can seem dull by comparison.

Soldato
The Witcher 3 was another game I didn't rate despite the universal acclaim. The controls and combat system were so janky I didn't see the appeal.

I generally like open world sandbox games like Zelda, skyrim, grand theft auto, etc but so far zero dawn feels very linear and uninspired. Does it open up later as you play through.

Soldato
I didn't rate the Witcher 3 either - despite looking lovely and having a great, well told story - but am pleasantly surprised with Horizon. The combat is nippy and fluid, I like the setting and am enjoying wondering around and picking up quests. It reminds me of The Last of Us crossed with The Witcher and Skyrim. With a bit of Tomb Raider chucked in. I've come to this straight after Zelda - which is obviously better - and am still having a blast.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm only an hour or so in so far so I'll probably revisit our again the next time I have a bit of spare time.

It's by no means bad so far but I think having followed on from my playing Zelda and being rated as game of the year for many my expectations were perhaps unrealistically high for zero dawn!

Soldato
Which Zelda? The one on the Switch?

Yeah. Which I loved btw. My only gripe is it's utterly amazing at the start - challenging, lots to explore and discover, learning how to cook, catch horses, finding new weapons etc - and then descends into just being very, very good as things get samey and the challenge evaporates. Either way, along with Odyssey, the best thing I've played in years.

Man of Honour
Yeah. Which I loved btw. My only gripe is it's utterly amazing at the start - challenging, lots to explore and discover, learning how to cook, catch horses, finding new weapons etc - and then descends into just being very, very good as things get samey and the challenge evaporates. Either way, along with Odyssey, the best thing I've played in years.
Mario? Is the Switch worth buying? I only wanted the PS4 as I wanted to play TLOU. So I tend to buy consoles for platform only games if they're good enough. Everything that's on PC (bar Fifa) I tend to get for that.

Soldato
Mario? Is the Switch worth buying?

Absolutely. Even more so if you didn't own a WiiU. imho it's worth the asking price for Zelda and Mario alone, but there are other worthy games. Mario Kart being one of them. It has also replaced my PC as indie game platform as choice as these games are particularly suited to play on the move and the Pro pad is the best joypad to grace a console. I found it genuinely jarring going back to the PS4 pad (which I like) after getting used to it. And Metroid Prime is on the way ..

Man of Honour
Absolutely. Even more so if you didn't own a WiiU. imho it's worth the asking price for Zelda and Mario alone, but there are other worthy games. Mario Kart being one of them. It has also replaced my PC as indie game platform as choice as these games are particularly suited to play on the move and the Pro pad is the best joypad to grace a console. I found it genuinely jarring going back to the PS4 pad (which I like) after getting used to it. And Metroid Prime is on the way ..
Cheers. I know my mrs has expressed an interest in one and she'd love to play Mario games and we could play Mario Kart together. I'll keep an eye out on deals for them. I think it would get more use than if I bought an XBOne.

Soldato
Cheers. I know my mrs has expressed an interest in one and she'd love to play Mario games and we could play Mario Kart together. I'll keep an eye out on deals for them. I think it would get more use than if I bought an XBOne.

I have barely touched my Xbox One or PS4 since I bought a Switch. I won't get rid of them because of things like Horizon: ZD etc (and my digital backlog which I never play and probably never will) but the Switch has become my main console by far. If you and the Mrs even have a passing desire to play Mario Kart then do it because it's bloody fantastic. The best MP fun I've had in years.

Soldato

Cool - sounds like a no brainer. Get the Pro pad man - you'll be glad you did.

Caporegime
Also, the graphics don't seem that impressive for a game many rated as being visually the best of the year on ps4. There is a lot to see but all the scenery and models look very pixelated and low fidelity? Maybe it's better on the PS4 pro though?

That's either a SpecSavers job or your PS4 is not working right. The image quality is right up there and tbh there is not much difference on the PS4 Pro as the base version is that good.

Back
Top Bottom