How about a Linux gallery?

Soldato

Keeping it plain and simple at work. E-mail on one desktop pair (two apps, different mail platforms for now), console and browser open on the first desktop pair, along with pidgin and a windows app I need running under wine, all with a little bit of compiz polish and awn.

Yes, I have two different sized monitors on my desk here.
Picture is of Nā Mokulua islands as viewed from Lanikai beach a short distance from where I live.

Soldato
desktopgj.png

On the netbook at the moment. Was dual boot but the XP install failed... oh well.

Toying with trying the full Ubuntu. It'll run as well as NBR right? Or is NBR optimised?

Last edited:
Soldato
The new beta Cairo-dock 2.2.0 is sweet :cool: Ubuntu 10.04 on an Advent 4211, everything auto-detected perfectly and runs so well and with Chrome is fast as anything - v v v happy with it.

Was very impressed with how user-friendly 10.04 is, I installed it as a dual-boot to have a play around with and I'm a total convert to the extent I'm toying with reformatting and using it as my main OS, my only issue is that we watch things on Netflix streaming which uses Silverlight so Win/Mac only :(

screenshotwx.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
ubuntu-vm-desktop.jpg

Icon theme: Azenis (gnome-look.org)
Window controls & borders: Dust

Pretty bland and boring (even a bundled wallpaper) but this is only a VM, primarily for serving SABNZBD+ to the internets. Need moar Linux. I keep debating wiping Windows 7 from my main machine, but I just can't get around to doing it. :p

Soldato
Soldato
The new beta Cairo-dock 2.2.0 is sweet :cool: Ubuntu 10.04 on an Advent 4211, everything auto-detected perfectly and runs so well and with Chrome is fast as anything - v v v happy with it.

Was very impressed with how user-friendly 10.04 is, I installed it as a dual-boot to have a play around with and I'm a total convert to the extent I'm toying with reformatting and using it as my main OS, my only issue is that we watch things on Netflix streaming which uses Silverlight so Win/Mac only :(

There is a project called moonlight for linux. Here is a link:

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

Soldato
There is a project called moonlight for linux. Here is a link:

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight
Yeah the problem is the DRM though, it just won't work unfortunately :( The Netflix devs even freely admit that they'd like nothing more than to 'fix' it but it's a political/rights decision not a technical one.

Might have to see how it works but I think asking my poor lil netbook to stream movies through XP
running in a VirtualBox might be asking too much..

Last edited:

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Yeah the problem is the DRM though, it just won't work unfortunately :( The Netflix devs even freely admit that they'd like nothing more than to 'fix' it but it's a political/rights decision not a technical one.

Might have to see how it works but I think asking my poor lil netbook to stream movies through XP
running in a VirtualBox might be asking too much..

Mono/Moonlight doesnt allow me to watch Sky Player on Fedora either :(

I've had to resort to installing a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox to watch Sky player.

Back
Top Bottom