How about a Linux gallery?

Soldato
everything! lol
gonna re read the whole thing but I think the main issue is I installed via synaptic and it's not given any GUI tools etc and I can't find anything where it's supposed to be!

Associate
everything! lol
gonna re read the whole thing but I think the main issue is I installed via synaptic and it's not given any GUI tools etc and I can't find anything where it's supposed to be!

Mmmmmmm you'll be hard pushed to find a GUI for it - WRONG :( Typed this reply out and then found this in moments

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/conkywizard-gui-to-set-up-conky.html

Looks good but recommend the other method mentioned below as well :)

As can be the case Youtube can be your friend here. A link to just one of many which shows you how to install and set up this system monitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXe2TFjAm7A

It's finitely customable so you can spend hours tweaking it to get it just how you want it.

As mentioned, already, conky colors seems to be a simpler variant and may be a better starting point?

Last edited:
Soldato
screenshotforOcUK.png

Amateur attempt on a Laptop running Ubuntu 10.4 LTS + custom Cairo dock :)

EDIT

Need to clean my screen :(

What's this dock???

Little bit of a bump. :p

Click for bigger

Click for bigger

Recently decided to put Crunchbang back on my laptop as W7 is getting slower and slower on the poor old thing, it's happily running #! 10 Statler though, did some tweaks on it to make it better for me.
Dropped to one window/desktop as I don't use two.
  • Changed Conky's look and information.
  • Changed theme.
  • Changed window theme.
  • Made various applications have transparent backgrounds.
  • Drastically cut down the application menu as I don't use half of what there was.

Just realised I still have the time/date Conky, might as well remove that really as the taskbar clock is visible.

Fixed:

Click for bigger

How do you get the system info in the top right corner?

Associate
Anyone installed Gnome 3 yet?
I've been having a play with it tonight on a fresh Arch install. It is really really nice. It still has a bit to go, slow and laggy in places, but it beats KDE and Gnome 2 by miles for pure usability IMO :)

Couple of screenshots

Associate
Anyone installed Gnome 3 yet?
I've been having a play with it tonight on a fresh Arch install. It is really really nice. It still has a bit to go, slow and laggy in places, but it beats KDE and Gnome 2 by miles for pure usability IMO :)

To be honest .... No

I'm a bit lazy so will probably wait until it's included in a distro or update.

Was it hard to install and try out?

Nonetheless, great looking Desktop russ0r :)

Soldato

Really like this system info in the top right corner but I cannot get it working on mine. I installed Conky and when my netbook starts up, it is displayed as a line at the bottom of the screen but then disappeared when my desktop wallpaper loads up. Any advice?

Associate
Not really customised my linux install before so this is what little customisation I have done; I like mine nice and simple:

How do you get the text of stats on the desktops? I have heard of screenlets before, is that what people are using? - any tutorials?

Also - how do I make the scroll bars bigger - is it possible?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Finished building my new compy last week, several hours of messing with portage & config files and finally...

Gentoo, Openbox with tint2 for the panel, and Scummvm running Day of the Tentacle!! Nice simple desktop :)

I found the wallpaper from browsing the Windows desktop thread, posted here if anyone wants a copy.

For some reason firefox shows up as Namoroka (it's project name?).

Associate
From the Arch Wiki - 'The Firefox package in Arch Linux is compiled without official branding, which means that when Firefox is started it will use an alternate icon and will be named after its release series' codename. This has to be done because a distribution may use the name "Firefox" and its artwork only if there are no unofficial modifications, including security patches'.

I guess since Gentoo is very similar to Arch then this will be why it is called Namoroka.

Soldato
Wow... just checking in on this thread made me realize i'm still using TWM. Sometimes all we need really is a browser. Now, choices... wmfs, dwm or openbox? Bearing in mind i have no idea how to customize or even use any of them :p

Back
Top Bottom