• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are people with 3000 series cards faring with PSU usage?

Soldato
times are weird. we've always, for as long as i've known, recommended plenty of headroom when buying a psu. These days people are spending £700 on GPUs and finding every excuse they can as to why they justify buying less expensive PSUs because the 'dont need headroom' anymore.

I will always go for 30% headroom minimum.

Associate
times are weird. we've always, for as long as i've known, recommended plenty of headroom when buying a psu. These days people are spending £700 on GPUs and finding every excuse they can as to why they justify buying less expensive PSUs because the 'dont need headroom' anymore.

I'm not finding any excuses to buy a less expensive PSU. I'm working out if my existing (fairly expensive when I bought it) PSU is up to the job if I upgrade my graphics card. There's no set rule to how much headroom you need, but obviously some headroom should be available. I`ve worked out that I should have around 100w of headroom if I upgrade to an RTX3080. I'd want more headroom than that with a cheaper less efficient power supply, but I think my PSU is up to the job.

Soldato

Generally people recommend large amounts of headroom when putting together a new build in case you want to upgrade in the future. Not that you should buy a new PSU every time you change graphics card. Buying a new one just for the sake of it for an existing build when the one you have works just fine makes zero sense. Equally, at the time I bought my current PSU back in 2014, 750W was always the wattage that people suggested as being more than enough for any single-card system, with anything higher being "overkill". I guess people didn't imagine a future where GPU power consumption continued to rise despite companies shaving 20nm off the manufacturing process since then. I remember how much people freaked out about the power consumption of the R9 290X at the time, yet now we have cards that can easily pull 150W more than one of those and it's "normal" now and you should have definetly bought a 1000W PSU bare minimum.

Doesn't bother me anyway, as I always undervolt my cards. Already have a 900mV profile done that seems stable for my 3080, which performs slightly better than stock because it no longer crashes against the power limit constantly. :)

Associate
I bought a 1300w psu a few years ago because it was on offer at the time.
It's turned out to be a perfect choice for my 3090 and 10850k now.

Don't worry, I've had plenty boo boos to make up for it in the past

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Generally people recommend large amounts of headroom when putting together a new build in case you want to upgrade in the future. Not that you should buy a new PSU every time you change graphics card. Buying a new one just for the sake of it for an existing build when the one you have works just fine makes zero sense. Equally, at the time I bought my current PSU back in 2014, 750W was always the wattage that people suggested as being more than enough for any single-card system, with anything higher being "overkill". I guess people didn't imagine a future where GPU power consumption continued to rise despite companies shaving 20nm off the manufacturing process since then. I remember how much people freaked out about the power consumption of the R9 290X at the time, yet now we have cards that can easily pull 150W more than one of those and it's "normal" now and you should have definetly bought a 1000W PSU bare minimum.

Doesn't bother me anyway, as I always undervolt my cards. Already have a 900mV profile done that seems stable for my 3080, which performs slightly better than stock because it no longer crashes against the power limit constantly. :)

Completely agree here. I built last overhaul of a rig in 2013 and it ran a 7990 which was a beast. It came with an XFX PSU which was RMA in the end so I paid the difference and upgraded to a Seasonic 750w Gold back in 2014. At this time 750w was considered plenty and prices were a bit better. I have also ran crossfire builds in the past so never scrimped on the PSU in case I ever wanted to do so again - even now that is my thoughts albeit no support for it these days.

I would never have thought I would own a 3090 so it really has pushed the boat out and ironically tested the PSU wattage. I am going to try and get a meaty new one and relegate this seasonic to my server machine so its still going to be used but that draws hardly any power compared to the gaming/work machine now.

Caporegime
Outervision psu calculator puts my system on 716W at max overclock. No way I would use a 750W psu.
Antec HCP 1000W keeps things in check.
Most quality PSU’s will do more than their sticker rating by at least 10% and then shut down without spiking power into any other components. The Superflower Leadex III 650W Gold I bought went over 700W before shutting down in tests. The 750W version went to 833W.

Soldato

With you there bro ;)

Soldato
Most quality PSU’s will do more than their sticker rating by at least 10% and then shut down without spiking power into any other components. The Superflower Leadex III 650W Gold I bought went over 700W before shutting down in tests. The 750W version went to 833W.
Yeah but why would you risk using over-design limits? Everything is heading the wrong way - temps, efficiency, longevity nooh!

Associate
Yeah but why would you risk using over-design limits? Everything is heading the wrong way - temps, efficiency, longevity nooh!

You wouldn't if you are sensible.

Why would you replace a good quality power supply if you are going to run it within it's rated (and tested) specification ?

Soldato
Just because it works doesn't mean it's ideal. You want to be running a PSU at between 50-70% load to be in it's efficiency sweet spot. That way it's more efficient (costs less to run), runs cooler (less heat in summer etc) and will last longer.

Running a 650 or 750w at 90%+ usage is a foolish choice.

Associate
Just because it works doesn't mean it's ideal. You want to be running a PSU at between 50-70% load to be in it's efficiency sweet spot. That way it's more efficient (costs less to run), runs cooler (less heat in summer etc) and will last longer.

Running a 650 or 750w at 90%+ usage is a foolish choice.

Just as foolish as running an 850w Bronze rated supply at 80% ?

Why would it be foolish to run an efficient (platinum or titanium rated) decent quality PSU at 90% it's rated capacity ? No doubt doing so over an extended period of time will reduce it's life expectancy, but it's hardly a highly risky thing to do.

Soldato

Why would it be foolish to run an efficient (platinum or titanium rated) decent quality PSU at 90% it's rated capacity ? No doubt doing so over an extended period of time will reduce it's life expectancy, but it's hardly a highly risky thing to do.

Exactly. It's not foolish at all.

A high quality PSU at 90% it's rated capacity. I don't see any issue. It reduces its life expectancy and it has a 10+ year warranty to back it up.
These engineers will have made sure transients etc would have been taken into account.

Soldato

Where did 'bronze rated PSU's' come into the discussion? Obviously compare like for like. So 750W platinum vs 850w platinum, vs 1000w platinum. Eliminate the amount of variables, that way you can come to a sensible conclusion.

Soldato
The largest benefits from runnnibg between 50-70% load is

* quieter fan
* less energy wasted

My Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W (bought in 2016) manages my 3080 on 'eco' mode, which means fan off, completely silent :) It's also coped with other high power draw cards like the Radeon VII on silent mode for years too, really solid units.

Many benefits to spending more on a PSU, beyond the simple "will it work".

Soldato
The 90% argument is stupid unless you’re running at 90% for ages on end. Remember these peak power draw figures are not your normal usage. Maybe a few hours at a time for a gaming session but not all day every day like a mining farm or anything

Soldato
The 90% argument is stupid unless you’re running at 90% for ages on end. Remember these peak power draw figures are not your normal usage. Maybe a few hours at a time for a gaming session but not all day every day like a mining farm or anything

What GPU do you have? In 99% of games I play, my 3080 is at between 300-350W in GPUZ. Basically, whenever your playing a modern game at a high resolution, a 650W PSU or some 750w's will be close to 90%, depending what CPU/other components you have.

Not a wise decision, though let the ignorant face the consequences I say ;)

Soldato
What GPU do you have? In 99% of games I play, my 3080 is at between 300-350W in GPUZ. Basically, whenever your playing a modern game at a high resolution, a 650W PSU or some 750w's will be close to 90%, depending what CPU/other components you have.

Not a wise decision, though let the ignorant face the consequences I say ;)
If I was building a whole new PC knowing I would have a 3080 of course I’d buy a higher wattage.

But say you bought your PC a few years ago when you were running a 1080Ti/2080 or similar and have a 650W, it’s definitely not worth the cost to buy a new PSU when you buy a new graphics card if your only concern is that it will go over 90% occasionally

Back
Top Bottom