How do drivers in <Your Town Here> React to Filtering?

Soldato
Isn't this problem easily solved by having a little bit of patience ? lol

Some drivers still think filtering is illegal. If they realised that we're reducing traffic for them, and that it's safer for us, and that we'll be in their life for all of a few seconds... Some are just ignorant/obnoxious though and they will never change.

Soldato
I have no problem with bikes filtering and I drive a fairly wide car, were I live it's mostly dual carriage way so bikes can easily filter through. Some times it seems that bikers see heavy traffic and go into filter mode regardless of how tight the lanes are or the road markings.

Associate
I live in a fairly rural area between Thame & Aylesbury just on the Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire boarder and you get two types of drivers.

1. Those that see you and kindly hug the curb to make it a little easier for you to pass (although I'd much prefer just a larger gap to the car in front).

2. Those that are in their own little world and don't see you filter past them until you're at the window/side mirror.

I have on one occasion on the way to work come across a white van man who saw me slowly filtering. He swerved towards the middle of the road and put his wheels just on/over the central white lines so I couldn't pass. I sat back thinking I'm in no rush. He then put his washer jets on (not very accurate) as they shot over the roof of his combi thing and gave me a pleasant shower. I thought maybe he's just an arse but wow when he held it for 10+ seconds I was like 'enough' and went to pass on the other-side of the road. As I passed I was greeted with a fag flicked out of his window right in front of me.

There wasn't anything coming towards me so he'd have seen me filter all the way up until the round about about 1/4 of a mile haha which to me was enough of a thank you for your wasted efforts.

That was just once though and I've never really had any other issues. Shocking to see some of those youtube videos though. Some people are disgusting!

Thats quite well mannered of you, I know a fair few people that would've introduced his wing mirror to a pair of titanium knuckles. :D

Soldato
Some times it seems that bikers see heavy traffic and go into filter mode regardless of how tight the lanes are or the road markings.
I hate when they do that - Usually they're the ones who filter past just 2-3 cars at the lights, with no tangible benefit other than being 2-3 cars ahead in otherwise solid traffic...

Associate
Thats quite well mannered of you, I know a fair few people that would've introduced his wing mirror to a pair of titanium knuckles. :D

I'm not an aggressive or easily wound up person nor am I that big really 174cm and 75Kgs (5'9" and something stone) so knowing my luck if I were ever that angry I'd probably end up missing and punching my own mirror off haha.

Definately the case - though I've found a loud exhaust definately helps with 2. I feel bad though because I'm an occasional cage driver and often completely miss filtering motorcyclists and felt a bit bad/guilty...

Yeah my bike is pretty loud but nothing crazy so the odd blip here and there while clutch in gives you a bit of presence I guess but again I'm not like RJ as I'm not in a big city in a rush.

Caporegime
I hate when they do that - Usually they're the ones who filter past just 2-3 cars at the lights, with no tangible benefit other than being 2-3 cars ahead in otherwise solid traffic...

Ask yourself why you hate it. And it's 'I hate it when they do that', not 'I hate when they do that'.

Filtering past 2-3 cars at lights is totally logical and normal. 'No tangible benefit' - why wouldn't you move to the front if you can? Firstly it gives you a feeling of power and superiority over the stupid frustrated cagers, and secondly it might save you time sitting behind someone on 40mph in a 60mph road for the next 5 miles.

Suck it up.

Soldato
Filtering past 2-3 cars at lights is totally logical and normal. 'No tangible benefit' - why wouldn't you move to the front if you can? Firstly it gives you a feeling of power and superiority over the stupid frustrated cagers, and secondly it might save you time sitting behind someone on 40mph in a 60mph road for the next 5 miles.

Suck it up.

And it also stops you getting sandwiched between two cars.

Caporegime
Filter, don't filter it's up to you same as going out in full kit or not.

Point missed; whether or not it's up to the rider is not being debated. It's the attitude of car drivers to filtering that is.

They should be applauding motorcyclists that filter as they pass them in their traffic jams, for the simple reason that every motorbike is one less car blocking their way and holding them back from getting through those lights.

Back
Top Bottom