HOW DO I BUILD MY PC NOW IVE BOUGHT ALL THE BITS?

Associate
viewcart.php

Associate
I really appreciate this thread, will help me greatly... Will be starting my first build in about a month and could really do with all the help i can get. Really nervous, don't want to **** anything up.

Soldato
Secret to your first build is simply patience.

Do it right and do it proper and it will all just fall into place.

I suppose the best thing you can do, is check how the CPU / Heatsink / Mobo all fit together and perhaps fitting the CPU & HeatSink onto the Mobo before oyu put the Mobo into the case would be adviseable.

You must remember to use the blanking plate on the case too, and wherever you have wires, consider keeping them out of the way, by way of cable ties or whatever, so that there is a nice flow of air going from the bottom/front up to the top/rear, and past the CPU / PC Cards.

Consider how the HD fits in, and whether it will get past any cards you have, and make sure that the CD / DVD Drives dont go so far back that they knock off a Capacitor from the Mobo.

Basically, as you are putting in each component, keep you eyes so oyu dont pull push or knock bits about that you dont want to.

Its all fairly easy once you get used to it.

Associate
Hahaha, I absolutely love this thread, especially the first 12 pages. Who would think an IT forum could be so entertaining. Keep up the good work OP, that's true "no pain no gain" spirit :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey all,

well, i just read this all over again - hilarious and memorable!

I have lord of the rings online running superbly, football manager has been sold again so i still have a family, and im looking at other games to bring into the mix. The messenger issue is sorted and the blu ray player is awesome.
im minus speakers but cash has to go on other things - boooo!

one thing im still noticing is that video via the internet can still be a pain with lag....not always but it occurs when no other programs are running which bothers me. makes me wonder whether i need to improve on an already immense setup...surely not?

all in all i have a fantastic machine.

However, with the internet lag issue...is it something im stuck with? or dare i say it, do i need to overclock???

Associate
cheers guys - i just thought the video playback side of things might be down to my gpu - thankfully not! we get free b/band so im gonna suck it for now!

Yeh good to hear it's all working out - although I do find that speakers are a must with Bluray playback... Thought about a digital A/V Receiver (SPDIF output) at all or is that overkill? Best way to listen to Bluray. Set one up for a guy at work and it ran him about 550.00 GBP all in (Sony HDMI A/V Receiver, KEF speaker package, and decent speaker cabling) - sounds really sweet and the satellite speakers were totally discrete/tiny :D

I am on a 15Mb/ 1Mb O2 DSL line and it's sweet!! Your PC hardware won't make didly squat difference to a crap ISP! It's already complete overkill for streaming video (once you have any kind of 'real' i.e. non-Intel GPU).

Mind you I do find that some DSL modems are better than others. My Billion router pulls 15M out of my DSL phoneline but the O2 supplied router max'd out around 12M (I think - the one time I tried it!!) :cool:

Bob

Associate
OP
hi,

if you were involved in this thread then you should remember.

now....18 months on i have a problem.....

today, got in and logged onto the pc as usual to find this message:

reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

im just smart enough to realise that the hard disc isnt being recognised. i just dont know why - the computer sits there, does nothing but get caressed by me, no foul play, what can my problem be?

i opened it up 10 minutes ago and very dusty inside. what has happened????anyone?

Associate
OP
vader,
done just that and nothing - now when you say failed what could have made it fail and what does fail mean? i have years of pictures, videos, everything on there, have i lost it all?

Soldato
Is it recognised in the BIOS? Just double check your BIOS options to see what device is set to boot first.

It's possible that Windows has corrupted and needs repairing/reinstalling or it might be the HDD has failed, it could be any number of things if it has physically died. I'd not panic just yet, try and troubleshoot to see if the HDD is dead or if it's a software thing.

Associate
OP
not recognised in bios

only option showing is bluraydrive.
when i go to a select boot drive menu it gives me the option of choosing floppy disk or bluray drive to boot from, or esc to boot from defaults?
choosing defaults gives the above message, choosing floppy drive gives the above message too. i havent tried bluraydrive yet - should i?

Soldato
Most likely that the contents of the drive aren't lost. If the information since your last backup is vital then you shouldn't use the drive until you have another hard drive installed with an OS on it, and then plug in the drive and take off as much information as you can. If a drive is failing then you won't want to use up the last of it's life by trying to get Windows to work on it.

When you say you have years of pictures videos everything on it, I really hope that's not you saying there's no backup.

Back
Top Bottom