• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How log till MSRP ?

Associate
** we know how much materials and production cost plus a fair profit in a normal world

You do? That is unlikely, unless you have insight into their supply chain.

With world economics at the minute your living in a dream

My suppliers are increasing prices month on month with 10-50% increases mostly down to component and raw material shortages

Add on container shortages and increased costs expect everything to have extra on it soon

Also covid outside our bubble is running rampant again

This ^^^^^

My business has seen international freight costs increase by 400% since the start of the pandemic. Some basic components have become impossible to obtain at normal pricing, or typical lead-times - capacitors, resistors, etc. Hell, there’s even a worldwide shortage of cardboard impacting availability and cost. Some more exotic components have seen prices increase by 4000% (that is NOT a typo - four thousand percent) and/or lead-times go from 8 weeks to 52+ weeks.

How does that work ? Are you stuck with the inflated cost or can you send the goods back and get them again at the market price (rebate?).

Market price is based on what people are willing to pay AND what it costs the supplier to make it. Yes, you have the choice not to buy and that can drive prices down if enough people do the same. However, only to a point - the manufacturer will just stop making /selling the product if costs are too high.

The current high costs and supply chain issues are not going to resolve quickly, and prices are going to remain high for many goods for a long time. For GPUs, some headwinds will easy, such as mining profitability but that’s only one aspect of current pricing. Higher GPU prices are with us for some time yet - end of 2020 is the soonest I expect to see normality, if ever (reference where pricing was for the previous gen of cards).

Associate
I can see supply and price normalizing by early next year, along with the launch of a bunch of new cards. 3050 6500 6600. maybe a few even lower end cards. But I don't think the prices will go all the way down. I don't think we'll ever see much less than "msrp" +20%

Associate
Just wait until next gen Gpus are announced then pick up a 2nd hand 3090 for £500 in the inevitable panic sell off.
its an interesting point. There sure seem to be a lot more 3090s than there were previous halo cards flittering around. So at some point the 2nd hand market is going to have a lot of them.

Associate
April 2022 is where i would put my guess. similar to what others have said... what is nvidia release cycle? When is the next gen pegged to come out?

Associate
April 2022 is where i would put my guess. similar to what others have said... what is nvidia release cycle? When is the next gen pegged to come out?

I suspect this is overly optimistic. I'm currently having orders placed for electronic components at massively inflated prices, with delivery dates of next June at best!!!! This means I'll be taking delivery of higher cost materials for July 2022 onward production, keeping costs high in H2 2022. I can't see it being any different for GPU production. Not as high as now, but certainly way above what people might want to consider normal.

Associate
My guess would be: when intel brings new gpu to market and it will be reasonably powerful. Competition in gpu market sux at the moment.
im going with your prediction i dont think we will see a decent change until there's more competition cant wait to see what intel offers!

Associate
I suspect this is overly optimistic. I'm currently having orders placed for electronic components at massively inflated prices, with delivery dates of next June at best!!!! This means I'll be taking delivery of higher cost materials for July 2022 onward production, keeping costs high in H2 2022. I can't see it being any different for GPU production. Not as high as now, but certainly way above what people might want to consider normal.

Fair point, clearly you work at a more industrial level versus consumer so lets see how it pans out and how much longer the consumer will feel the pain

Associate
I can see supply and price normalizing by early next year, along with the launch of a bunch of new cards. 3050 6500 6600. maybe a few even lower end cards. But I don't think the prices will go all the way down. I don't think we'll ever see much less than "msrp" +20%

By definition MSRP can be anything they want it to be

It's not a set in stone amount hence the S being suggested

Permabanned
My guess would be: when intel brings new gpu to market and it will be reasonably powerful. Competition in gpu market sux at the moment.

You could well be right. I for one would happily go intel. I am tired of NVIDIA claiming to support gamers when in fact it has done absolutely nothing to help gamers in the current mess.

Soldato
Not for this gen. It's a pipe dream and will never ever happen. The next-gen will roll around long before prices start to go down in any significant amount, and you can bet the normal pricing for those will be considerably higher.

The days of getting a decent card like the 1080ti for 'just' 500-600 are over.

Associate
Yep, won't see £650 3080s sitting on shelves until maybe 2023.

And I think others are correct we won't see launch pricing like that again. The ASUS 3080 TUF if I remember launched at £675?

Soldato
There are still FEs dropping at MSRP even now. No reason why the supply couldn't pick up as the external pressures reduce (the real question is how much of a dent the chinese crackdown will have in the crypto market - and what the knock on will be for us)

15 Dec 21 :)

Soldato
Yep, won't see £650 3080s sitting on shelves until maybe 2023.

And I think others are correct we won't see launch pricing like that again. The ASUS 3080 TUF if I remember launched at £675?

Yeah i remember when you got a hardcore GPU for that money, now you get a mid range GPU.

And in the near future a low end GPU.

Imagine that, something like a 5030 Ti for £500+, that will suck in the future

Soldato
Just wait until next gen Gpus are announced then pick up a 2nd hand 3090 for £500 in the inevitable panic sell off.

I'd say most 3090 owners that got their cards for MSRP, will have enjoyed months/years of top tier performance by then. Especially during the lockdowns and restricted activities than can be done outside etc. Gaming has become more popular than ever in my social/work circle, making the 3090 exceptionally good value, pandemic considered...

Personally, I'd feel rather flat if I'd be scraping by with a slow GPU over these boring lockdown months.

Soldato
I'd say most 3090 owners that got their cards for MSRP, will have enjoyed months/years of top tier performance by then. Especially during the lockdowns and restricted activities than can be done outside etc. Gaming has become more popular than ever in my social/work circle, making the 3090 exceptionally good value, pandemic considered...

Personally, I'd feel rather flat if I'd be scraping by with a slow GPU over these boring lockdown months.

How is the 3090 great value unless you do work based that will benefit from it I just can't see It is just for gaming

I could have bought the 3090 on today's drop but just couldn't justify it just for gaming just will hold out for 3080fe on drop

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom