How long to get used to wearing glasses for first time ?

Associate
I got some recently and it sounds like yours are not right.

I dont really need them but when I do everything is crystal clear, no headaches at all.

Associate
This is the first time I ever wore glasses and am I finding it impossible to keep them on for very as it so blurry/fuzzy it makes my eyes hurt...

Whereas it does take a while to get used to wearing glasses, be aware they can get your prescription completely wrong. I got a pair of glasses a few years back and couldn't see a damn thing, the senior Optician had a look at them and even just by eye blurted out "These are completely wrong".

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.

Ree

Ree

Associate
only recently got my glasses for first time (2 month ago) and my god i cant believe how bad my eyes were its literally night and day the difference.

if yours are blurry its gotta be a mistake on the prescription as everything should be crisp and clear with no strain, headaches etc.

Associate
I wouldn't say no strain/headaches is normal at first, his eyes would have been straining for years so adjusting to no strain will take a while, so a headache would be normal.

Soldato
Not sure your glasses are correct. I wear glasses for certain tasks only or at work and the initial 10 mins is always strange then your eyes should adjust and you can then see clearly/clearer. Headaches for few days is normal if you wear them for a few hours a day only.

Id go get your eyes retested though for sure. If your not happy get a second opticians opinion.

Soldato
Why the hell would you want to get used to them/ become dependant on them?

I got some glasses maybe 5 years ago and they made me dizzy etc. They told me I'd get used to them but didn't like that idea much... Still don't wear them and repeatedly pass the eye tests work make me do.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I got my first glasses around 2 years ago at the age of 30.

I found that they *did* cause eye strain at first, i could sort of feel my eyes being pushed/pulled in a certain direction (or a feeling of that) when i put them on and focused through them.

The vision was utterly amazing though, i still remember that first step outside with them on and looking up into a tree and being able to see all the detail of the leaves and branches etc.

2 years on and i dont notice any strain at all really, beyond my eyes feeling a slight sense of relaxation when i take them off after a long stint (all day) wearing.

Based on this, they should certainly not look fuzzy, my overwhelming memory is the utter clarity and "omg" feeling of the detail that i could see.

Soldato
OP
at that sort of level you really shouldn't be feeling off - get right back in there and describe whats happening. Sounds like they've messed up something like the PD (distance between your eyes) which will make you feel pretty sick if its wrong.

They should do this without complaint or charge.

I wouldn't bother getting a second opinion unless they don't fix it in a timely manner. its worth nothing that even if you do get annother check it may well vary slightly...
I just been back to specsavers and explained what happening and they said it could be just my eyes need more time to get used to the glasses..

They Told me not to wear them anymore at all today but put them on tomorrow and wear them over the weekend and if there no better then go back to see them on Monday..

Soldato
OP
Based on this, they should certainly not look fuzzy, my overwhelming memory is the utter clarity and "omg" feeling of the detail that i could see.
Maybe I used the wrong word when I said fuzzy.

Out of focus would be far more correct way of explaining it..
I can see my eye auto correcting the focus all the time like you would on a camera..(It really weird as I watch my eyes bring stuff into focus)

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's out of focus and giving you head aches then they are wrong end of. You take them back and get them to fix it (free of charge). It might be something as simple as they need their fit adjusted, but it could be that there has been a mistake and they need to create a new pair. My previous pair were quite a bit more expensive that yours and I ended up going back 3 or 4 times before I was happy with what I was seeing. My current pair were right first time.

I can't say what the affect was when I got my first pair ... it was ~35 years ago.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That really doesn't seem right at all, as i say i *did* notice the feeling of pushing/pulling on my eyes at first, but the actual vision should be perfect.

Soldato
I was thinking of going to boots to get a test done so I could compare it to the specsavers test results

My specsavers test
R +0.50 -0.75 90.0 +1.50
L +0.50 -0.75 100.0 +1.50

As Siliconslave says that's a pretty weak prescription, AFAIK (assuming those numbers are 'sphere cyl axis', don't know what that last one is, prism?) - you're a little bit far sighted (+ve 1st number) with some astigmatism (numbers 2 and 3).

Mine is a bit less than yours and I don't bother with glasses day to day. You definitely shouldn't be getting worse vision with your glasses on!

Edit: those prism numbers (if that's what they are) are quite large, and might explain your problems. I don't have prism on my prescription - it's to do with eye alignment/double vision. Apparently it's quite rare. If you've got used to seeing without that being corrected it might be strange to adjust I suppose? I'm not an optician.

Prism. This is the amount of prismatic power, measured in prism diopters ("p.d." or a superscript triangle when written freehand), prescribed to compensate for eye alignment problems. Only a small percentage of eyeglass prescriptions include prism.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses/eyeglass-prescription.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
Go back. I use Specsavers, my wife uses an independent optician. Whenever they get someone who's been to Specsavers in, they always lower the prescription...

Associate
I had a similar issue with my specs from specsavers.. I am short sighted in both eyes with a tiny bit of astigmatism. The astigmatism value went up and they remade lenses for me but I couldn't get used to them - there wasn't any visual disturbance vs. the old glasses just that they made me feel a bit sick and like my head was swimming.

I went back and the optician said that sometimes with things like astigmatism, sometimes even though your reading is X, that value might be too high for you to have in glasses. They dropped the astigmatism value back down and the glasses are fine now.

Deffo something wrong - it shouldn't really take you any time to get used to them - you should just be able to see!

Back
Top Bottom