How much has your council tax gone up this year?

Associate
Can't imagine how annoying that is. Even with 2 of us it's just about OK.
I have a larger black bin after many months of asking, they actually had to send someone round to "check" my bin to make sure I was over using it

Well even the large one is over flowing every two weeks.

Associate
Every so often the dates line up so every house has four bins out and it's carnage.

Ours has it so only one set of bins is out per week. Black every 2 weeks, Blue and Brown every 4 weeks. So it'll go Black, Blue, Black, Brown, Black, Blue, etc. Paper bin gets a bit tight on 4 weeks so any large boxes I have to cut up and make a pile next to the bin.

Soldato
Ours has it so only one set of bins is out per week. Black every 2 weeks, Blue and Brown every 4 weeks. So it'll go Black, Blue, Black, Brown, Black, Blue, etc. Paper bin gets a bit tight on 4 weeks so any large boxes I have to cut up and make a pile next to the bin.
Anything put next to the bins doesn't get taken...

Associate
Luckily for my £2.6k a year I am afforded at least that flexiblity.. To quote what our council allows "You can put small amounts of extra paper and card next to your blue bin. Just make sure it is neatly bundled together and tied with string and is no bigger than your blue bin".

The worst part is if you miss a collection.. 8 weeks between an empty forces a recycling center run..

Our council tax looks set to increase by 4.99%, again. Will bring it up to £2773.

Last edited:
Commissario
Absolutely stupid, I hate the fortnightly bin collection here, with a family of 7 as you can imagine.

They don't even take the glass away here I have to do it myself.
Give the council waste people a ring, IIRC they do 3 sizes of bins and if you need a larger one say because you've got a larger family they should arrange to swap you to the big bin.

I know when my mother was ill they moved us over to the XL bin from the standard one as we needed the extra waste capacity.

Caporegime
Luckily for my £2.6k a year I am afforded at least that flexiblity.. To quote what our council allows "You can put small amounts of extra paper and card next to your blue bin. Just make sure it is neatly bundled together and tied with string and is no bigger than your blue bin".

The worst part is if you miss a collection.. 8 weeks between an empty forces a recycling center run..

Our council tax looks set to increase by 4.99%, again. Will bring it up to £2773.
So far here it seems to be "if you can aquire extra recycling bags we'll take them"

Most houses seem to have a stash of 2 paper and plastic/tin bags each.

Soldato
Only 2 bins here, general waste and recycling, collected fortnightly.

No glass or tetra packs collected and garden waste is an extra £50/year.

Our wheely bins are also tiny. You can get bigger ones if you have a need, the neighbours with a bigger family have sized up bins.

That said there is only 2 of us and even with the tiny bins, we could go a month on each if needed. I’ve ‘tested’ this a few times and by tested I mean forgotten to put the bin out. It’s not the landfill that’s the issue after a month, it’s the recycling, it will be rammed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only 2 bins here, general waste and recycling, collected fortnightly.

No glass or tetra packs collected and garden waste is an extra £50/year.

Our wheely bins are also tiny. You can get bigger ones if you have a need, the neighbours with a bigger family have sized up bins.

That said there is only 2 of us and even with the tiny bins, we could go a month on each if needed. I’ve ‘tested’ this a few times and by tested I mean forgotten to put the bin out. It’s not the landfill that’s the issue after a month, it’s the recycling, it will be rammed.

Exactly the same here, we've had weeks where we haven't put the general waste bin out because there's nothing in it! Meanwhile the recycling is overflowing with a week to go >_<

Sadly I know this is going to result in a lot more litter on the streets, and once again, it's going to be down to the general public volunteering to do the council's job for them, all whilst paying them for the privilege.

The UK's "second city"? It's embarrassing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that has been helped by a noticeable shift in packaging and by buying habits. I’ve definitely noticed I’m putting less and less into landfill these days.

We don’t throw any food away, meals are planned, we only buy what we need. If plans change, the meal get made and frozen. We also batch cook to reduce cost. Any leftover veg gets made into soup and eaten for lunch etc.

Soldato
We don't have bins, they don't expect us to tackle our hill with them, I usually take my own recycling to the tip with a dumpy bag of garden waste if I have it, it's on the way to Timtagel so not a Biggie
But we have to sort our own sewage, surface our own road, cut the roadside verges ect ect

Last edited:
Caporegime
5% for Merton, I miss living in Wandsworth - weekly bin collections and dirt cheap council tax (under £100 pm). Bin collections alternate every 2 weeks, fine so far but can imagine having a party or especially busy week, general rubbish could pile up quickly. Fortunately there's a recycling/waste centre in earshot of the house as a backup.

Associate
Give the council waste people a ring, IIRC they do 3 sizes of bins and if you need a larger one say because you've got a larger family they should arrange to swap you to the big bin.

I know when my mother was ill they moved us over to the XL bin from the standard one as we needed the extra waste capacity.

Already have a larger one after 5 months of asking, eventually someone from the council came round to "check" I needed it. I had to leave my bin out on a odd day so they could open it and look inside for some reason.

Even the larger one is filled over every 2 weeks, I have tried to reduce my waste but it's not that easy with a large family.

I personally think every 2 weeks is too long

Soldato
Even the larger one is filled over every 2 weeks, I have tried to reduce my waste but it's not that easy with a large family.

Yet you pay the same council tax as a childless couple or a couple with less kids producing less demand on services?....

Popcorn.webp

Last edited:
Soldato
Yet you pay the same council tax as a childless couple or a couple with less kids producing less demand on services?....

Popcorn.webp

That's why it's based on house value, which generally (although obviously not always) follows size. If you and your partner want to live in a 5 bedroom house on your own then fine, but unfortunately you'll pay for the privilege :p

(It's going to really grind your gears when someone tells you that families with kids put more demand on the education system and child services than those without! :cry:)

Soldato
If they decided to do a massive home revalue I think that would sink a few people, there's some shacks here that were bought for peanuts but land worth 2 to 5 mill , mines band A ,not sure if you get revalued after extensions ect, its something I need to find out
Pic is from a house that was under 200k in Late 90s ,I love this street as you have direct beach, estuary access, launch sup from garden, if irrelevant I am just day dreaming

Screenshot-2024-02-23-08-59-07-74-40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If they did that, half the country would suddenly be made homeless. Including quite a lot of wealthy people. Heating a house now is extortionate, even a small one.

Mortgages, council tax, energy bills etc now has a lot of people walking a fine line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom