How much has your council tax gone up this year?

Soldato
Ours went up in Woking. The most frustrating thing for me is that I moved here 3.5 years ago. For that entire time, the main route through town has been reduced from 3 or 4 lanes (it's been so long I can't remember) down to 1! Causes absolute havoc every single day, and it's because they're building a load of flat which I can't personally see the benefit of. I feel like I'm paying for a developer to make a load of money from causing massive amounts of traffic in our town centre.

Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

Soldato
I really have no idea as I live within a council who has the worst performing council tax department ever.
In one week I owed them, £89, £0, £76 and finally they informed me that they were in fact due me £157.
Paperwork from them amounts to pages of numbers that defy interpretation.
Getting to speak to someone is virtually impossible given their complex automated phone system.

On the plus side they have just announced the go ahead of the trams here in Edinburgh even though the ever so long inquiry over the original tram installation which was twice over budget and only went half the distance, I give you The City of Edinburgh Council the home of grand money wasting projects.

Soldato
Wouldn't be as bad if they actually did a half decent job.

Nothing improves, services still being reduced, yet we're paying more....?

Caporegime
Not looking forward to getting ours through the post, I expect around 5% increase as well, it's currently £172 per month, so will be around £180 I imagine.

That's quite a lot, I think council tax needs to be looked at, I know Corbyn said he would abolish it and place it on the landlords, but when will enough be enough and when will they price people out of being able to pay it?

Man of Honour
Not looking forward to getting ours through the post, I expect around 5% increase as well, it's currently £172 per month, so will be around £180 I imagine.

That's quite a lot, I think council tax needs to be looked at, I know Corbyn said he would abolish it and place it on the landlords, but when will enough be enough and when will they price people out of being able to pay it?
Landlords will just factor it into the rent and probably even add a bit extra on top too. Corbyn knows this but it makes him look good because it's a nice headline.

Caporegime
Mine has gone up 8 pound a month so an extra £80 a year. £160 per month I am paying now. It was a little over £100 when I first moved in 9 years ago. I also now have to pay £30 a year for garden waste collection and all lights are switched off at night. I also have a 8inch pot hole right outside my house. Soon they are going to charge for cutting the grass verges I bet.

Soldato
I love how the government keeps having to cut services (education, police, nhs, local councils) due to lack of money.......but the question I'd like to know is why they don't have enough money.

Why do we keep having to pay more for the same? Do those workers get a payrise? Nope....

Man of Honour
Ours is going up 4.79% + £36 as they are now charging for the brown bin collection (food/garden waste) if you put garden waste in it. If there is only food waste in it there is no charge. Garden waste in it with no permit stuck on the bin and it won't get emptied. The SNP seized control or our council last year and one of the first things they announced was that they would be charging £36 a year for garden waste collection (always been included in the council tax up until now). This seems highly likely to be a way around their own governments council tax increase limit so that they don't get penalised for a limit busting increase.

Back
Top Bottom