*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Failed. I was so angry with myself that I drove away without my bag and had to return to the test centre :mad:

Anyway... not being on the bike since Saturday didn't help as I was already nervous before jumping on.

Did the wheeling, slalom, figure of 8 and slow ride all ok, but it was hammering down and in my concentration to nail the U-turn, my foot slipped off the back brake so I pulled the clutch to slow it down then then just slowed down too much and stalled it.

The bike crawled to a stop about 2ft away from the "kerb" and I complete the exercise but I knew I'd failed as I had to put my foot down when it stalled (not mid-turn). My instructor who was watching said afterwards that I'd completed the move, so technically might be OK I knew that was it.

I spent the rest of the test just going through the motions and shaking my head in anger as I finished. 1 major, 0 minors!

FYI bike I was on had a fault with the ABS, but that went fine (56, 52kph)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Cheers both. I was so angry with myself as I'd done every exercise 20x times on the weekend and left there feeling confident.

Next test date is 20th June :(

Caporegime
Ah that sucks balls mate, sorry to hear it. Nerves are a killer, they're the reason I almost ploughed my driving instructor's car in to the back of a bus too.

You'll get it next time, don't worry.

Associate
I have my CBT on Tuesday :) Also brought a Honda CB125F at the weekend.

Do you guys think I should wait sometime before considering to do my DAS? I didn't know if it was wise to get ride the 125 as a learner for a year or two first, or just jump straight into it?

I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but do have 12-years of driving experience. I do a lot of road cycling, so used to being on 2-wheels and vulnerable, also come off at 40mph in shorts and t-shirt so know all about road rash!

Oh and I thought road cycling clothing was expensive..... :eek: my poor wallet!

Associate
You'll have no issue doing DAS now if you wanted to.

I was similar, no prior motorbike experience but I do have 7 years driving experience and some time road cycling. Did DAS across 5 days, and tbh I could have done it in 4.

Nothing wrong with 125s or spending some time on them to gain experience, but I certainly won't be going back to a 125 after riding bigger bikes.

Associate
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably take a couple a months after the CBT, recoup some cash, and gain expierence on the 125.

Suppose I can take the theory test in the meantime, and try not to look at proper bikes :)

One

One

Soldato
Sounds like a sensible plan of attack.

I never bothered with a 125, but that's because I had a Bonneville already sat in my garage, freshly restored, waiting for me to ride it!

I find people that start riding later in life (i.e. not 16/17) can jump onto a bigger bike first with no real issues because they've got a calmer head and the previous road craft from driving.

Associate
I rode my 125 for 2 months before realizing it just wasn't enough for me, so did my DAS. It's all down to you, can't beat how cheap running a 125 is though :)

Associate
Well had my CBT yesterday. Seemed to go pretty well, a lot harder to control the bike than I expected though.

I wasn't particularly good during the first part, with cones etc. Was pretty nervous when they said it was time to go out on the road. But was absolutely fine on the road, really quite enjoyed it. Seemed pretty hard to fail it though, the guy that did it with me technically went through a red light and still passed. I ache a lot today, but I guess that's where I was a bit tense on the bike.

One thing I did find hard was feeling for the gear selector, in full motorcycle boots. I couldn't feel if I my foot was over or underneath the shifter. Will that get easier as the boots break-in or should I look to get some softer shoes to start with? I'm assuming trainers/running shoes is a no-no ?

Back
Top Bottom