*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
Just been out my bike, and the gear selector was so much better. Felt like a much bigger cap between the foot peg and the lever.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

MOD 1 passed :cool:

1 minor for being 1kph too slow on the avoidance. I knew I'd dropped the power a hair too soon, so was hoping it hadn't dropped too much.

Guy before me failed on the sighting lap for failing to stop in the blue cones!!

MOD 2 booked for next Wednesday :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Congrats dude, good luck for tomorrow too!
Cheers guys. It's actually next Weds but I'm off to Poland with work today (until Friday) so by the time I get back it'll be a case of weekend then training Monday and the test on Wednesday. All coming up quick.

With a bit of luck I can pass first time and sell my car. This will mean I won't need to renew the car insurance in September just to sell it immediately afterwards.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Even if you were to fail, you'd get another test in before September wouldn't you?
Oh yes, but I don't intend on failing mod 2 and would rather I've passed and sorted a bike out before the hassle of dealing with renewing car insurance for a motor I intend on selling.

Also, it is 10 working days which is more like 14 in reality. Just in case anyone wanted to know :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Bump... MOD 2, passed! :D

The ride down to the test centre was a breeze. Very calm and controlled, lots of variety in the route the instructor picked which warmed me up and gave me the confidence to do well. Anyway, got to the test centre and nerves set in for a brief moment, until I had a word with myself.

It was at this point that the examiner comes out of the office, paperwork? sign here!... "I'll be following in a car". Crap. I had visions of him sitting at the lights with a clipboard on his lap and tutting at every move, but I decided to plough on and see what happened, regardless.

Ride itself went smooth enough as I knew the roads. We pulled in to a few 20mph back streets and a one-way system. I mistakenly read a road sign which said "dead end 25 yrds", so thought I needed to turn left to avoid it. He came on the radio and said "continue to follow the road to the right". It was at this stage I thought "balls.. that's it then! He's had to tell me to change direction so I've fluffed it!". Got to the junction at the end of that road and had a bit of a wobble on when stopping which got my heart racing. Inside the helmet I was berating myself thinking "you did well on the ride down you monkey!".

Hill start #1 up next, rolled back a touch despite revving the guts out of the bike (got to love 20% gradients). Damn.. ~I was convinced that I'd definitely failed now. I was absolutely gutted and thought I'd continued to ride around a bit more. We hit a pedestrian crossing which I duly stopped at (read the situation) and let the guy approaching cross. Feeling a bit better we hit hill start #2 and I pull away fine.

Went the wrong way again thinking there's no way that we're heading back to the test centre but I indicated and moved fine, so no problems there. All but the minor course corrections! Ha! I'll be honest, it felt like a 10 minute ride so that really caught me out.

Finally, got back to the test centre, turned left in to the car park and had to stop to wait for a learner driver to complete a reverse park. Literally just inside the bend I stopped and waited... and waited... at one stage it looked safe to proceed but the girl rolled forward :rolleyes: and after the second "let's go around her" I made my way in to the car park and parked up. As I got off the bike I realise I'd left the indicator on. That (in my mind) sealed the fail, so went in to the office feeling pretty annoyed and disappointed.

Anyway... he says that I passed with 3 minors (balance (wobble at the junction), control (hill start) and rider fault (leaving indicator on). He said he'd give me the fault for the indicator but acknowledged that it was he who forced me to go around the girl when I was happy to wait at the mouth of the junction. He also said I'd cancelled every one of the indicators on the ride prior to that so he gave me the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well, I didn't care about the schematics at that stage... I rode back from the test centre with the pass cert in my pocket!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Haha yeah. I came to the lights just outside the test centre and this little Citroen tried to do me off the line... :D

Soldato
I have now read every single post in this thread! It's been quite the rollercoaster reading each individual user's story of going through their learning and testing process. I've really enjoyed it.

Did my CBT at the beginning of the month, got my theory test booked in for next week, followed two days later by a conversion day from 125 -> 600. Very much looking forward to it, and have been drip-buying equipment since then. Helmet, gloves, kevlar jeans, boots, all purchased.

I can't wait to have a go on a bigger bike, and will book my DAS as soon as I've passed my theory. Hoping that I might be able to turn my conversion day into conversion + mod1 training if theory all goes well in order to save a few quid.

I didn't bother getting a 125 after passing my CBT, and my Dad who's ridden for donkeys years has lent me his KLE500 to ride in the meantime until I get something I fancy!

Associate
It doesn't take long to get used to the bigger bike. My first day of DAS we maybe spent 5 minutes getting a feel for the throttle/brakes etc of the bike, then were straight into riding around and doing some large U turns and accelerating through the gears/braking for an hour or so before getting on with more MOD1 stuff.

Soldato
Agreed on the money spinner front, but they wouldn't let me book any DAS training until they were sure I'd pass my theory, so in the mean time, we scheduled in mod 1 training. The training day is 2 days after the theory, so all going well, I should be able to jump into a pre-booked day of mod 1 and just get cracking. Might even get lucky on a mod 1 test date, but I won't know that until I've got a theory test certificate number to plug into the online booking system.

Soldato
Theory test passed. :)

I can see why so many people fail it though. It's an utterly joyless place with miserable staff that seem to unknowingly knock your confidence. Still. That's that sorted!

Back
Top Bottom