*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Man of Honour
My 650 is actually about £75 cheaper to insure than the quotes I got for my 125 before I sold it. Bigger bikes also don't attract the learner/cbt tax when you buy so you get a lot more for your money.

Soldato
Final bits of Mod 2 training today. Mod 2 next week it's all falling into place now and I feel 'ready' to pass. I almost feel not at all like a learner and enjoy making progress etc on lessons.

Next wednesday is 3 hours Mod 2 brush up and test at 1pm.

About time I passed now as I'm bloody skint with it!

Soldato
They are good bikes, I had one for a few weeks, smooth, comfortable, light, very easy to learn on. :)

Thinking about getting one after you pass? Or have you decided what you are having?

Soldato
They are good bikes, I had one for a few weeks, smooth, comfortable, light, very easy to learn on. :)

Thinking about getting one after you pass? Or have you decided what you are having?

I have a 97 ZX6R sat in my garage waiting for me, all that is to do Wednesday is tax and insure and good to go. I'm really hoping all goes smoothly and it's job done. I do feel very confident though but can't help but have that little niggle that I'll make a stupid mistake or something.

I would certainly consider a MT07 but I prefer more super sports. Really impressed with how nice and smooth the MT07 was, did three hours on it and even though my ass was sore to the end a really nice bike to be on for an extended time.

Associate
Does tax still run from the start of the month you buy it in?

If so then taxing it on the 30th of the month end up losing a whole month's worth - can't blame you if you can't wait 2 days before getting on it after passing though :D

Soldato
Does tax still run from the start of the month you buy it in?

If so then taxing it on the 30th of the month end up losing a whole month's worth - can't blame you if you can't wait 2 days before getting on it after passing though :D

Yes that's run through my mind what a pain haha. For the sake of losing a fivers worth of tax I can live with I guess :D

Caporegime
Decided I'm going to just go balls deep and skip the whole CBT thing and go straight for a full licence. The place I did my CBT at estimated a cost of £650 o I'll add another £200 on to the budget just in case, will probably book my theory this week provided there is availability and go from there. Problem is I only have 3 annual leave days left until December, so may have to sweeten the boss up a bit for some time off!

My only concern is the hazard perception test, if anyone has any tips, please do share :)

Soldato
What's your concern about hazard perception?

It's best to do your theory before you book your DAS as you can't do any training until you have it.

You'll be fine. :)

Caporegime
My main concern was what's regarded as a hazard and what isn't, but this guy explains it quite well. I failed my first practice go because I was way too cautious, going to give it another go now.

Last time I went through this was for my car license 15 years ago, and in a different country, so this is very different. Back then the theory was a case of getting 45/50 multiple choice questions and that was it.

Soldato
I've been thinking more about learning to ride for a while now, although I think whilst at university I may be too pushed for time and money to start...

Caporegime
I've been thinking more about learning to ride for a while now, although I think whilst at university I may be too pushed for time and money to start...

A CBT is a good taster and costs less than £100. Do it, riding is amazing :)

//Booked my theory test, 16th of September. Can't bloody wait :D

Soldato
A CBT is a good taster and costs less than £100. Do it, riding is amazing :)

//Booked my theory test, 16th of September. Can't bloody wait :D

I've seen a few places around here offering a ~£20 "introductory lesson" before the CBT so I could maybe try that to make sure I'll enjoy it. I think i'd be too nervous to go straight onto the road for a CBT :o

Caporegime
I've seen a few places around here offering a ~£20 "introductory lesson" before the CBT so I could maybe try that to make sure I'll enjoy it. I think i'd be too nervous to go straight onto the road for a CBT :o

You won't be allowed on the road unless your instructor is confident in your abilities. The intro lesson might be a good idea, do you have any experience at all?

Associate
Just do the CBT, honestly. It's designed for people's first day. If you don't pass it, most places will let you take further instruction for free until you do, as long as you're not a total lunatic. You don't go straight onto the road on the CBT, you do maneuvers in a car park /off road area first and get used to the bike. Usually for a couple of hours, then onto the road in the afternoon.

Soldato
You won't be allowed on the road unless your instructor is confident in your abilities. The intro lesson might be a good idea, do you have any experience at all?

Nope none at all. I think my dad may have an old bike tucked away somewhere that maybe I could get a feel for.

Just do the CBT, honestly. It's designed for people's first day. If you don't pass it, most places will let you take further instruction for free until you do, as long as you're not a total lunatic. You don't go straight onto the road on the CBT, you do maneuvers in a car park /off road area first and get used to the bike. Usually for a couple of hours, then onto the road in the afternoon.

Yes that's true, I guess I just don't want to jump into paying £100 then not enjoying it. Although I can't see myself not enjoying it, come to think of it...

Back
Top Bottom