*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
29opua0.jpg

And my pass pic!

Soldato
Congratulations Tom. I've got my mod 2 in 4 weeks, so I'm hoping for a similar result. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Soldato
I had my 5 day DAS course this week, I passed my Mod 1 and Mod 2 yesterday! I'm still buzzing

Just need a bike now!
Jealous! I've been doing my stuff for 4 months because there's no availability / test days that match up with any riding schools around Bristol. :(

Soldato
Jealous! I've been doing my stuff for 4 months because there's no availability / test days that match up with any riding schools around Bristol. :(

I know how you are feeling before I passed it was the waiting for things that was the hardest plus I already had my bike before I even took my first lesson lol

Soldato
Uhhh what?

Bristol MTC only have a ~1 month wait at the moment (granted weather is getting rubbish) but even in the summer it was only 6-8 week wait for mod1 & mod2. As far as I know the other centres have similar / short waits too, the longest wait at the moment is seems to be theory tests.

Soldato

They should be booking your test and accommodate around that date, not keep telling you they aren't able to do certain days, if that were the case i'd go somewhere else.

Soldato
Uhhh what?

Bristol MTC only have a ~1 month wait at the moment (granted weather is getting rubbish) but even in the summer it was only 6-8 week wait for mod1 & mod2. As far as I know the other centres have similar / short waits too, the longest wait at the moment is seems to be theory tests.

I'm using Bristol MTC, and my wait from CBT to conversion day was 4.5 weeks, then the gap to mod 1 was 6 weeks. Then my wait from mod 1 pass to mod 2 was 6 weeks again. The guy who was with me when I passed my mod 1 actually failed his test, and had to schedule his re-test for 6 weeks' time. Had to do a conversion day because no availability for mod 1 for longer than that, and I needed to get familiar with a bigger bike.

Soldato
I'm using Bristol MTC, and my wait from CBT to conversion day was 4.5 weeks, then the gap to mod 1 was 6 weeks. Then my wait from mod 1 pass to mod 2 was 6 weeks again. The guy who was with me when I passed my mod 1 actually failed his test, and had to schedule his re-test for 6 weeks' time. Had to do a conversion day because no availability for mod 1 for longer than that, and I needed to get familiar with a bigger bike.
Wow.

Maybe you're quite restricted with when you can do things? I got my CBT booked in about 3 weeks from my first call to them and booked my mod 1 this morning with the option to do it in about 4 weeks time too but pushed it out to 4.5 weeks instead. All my instruction and test days are week days though, I've not looked at doing things on weekends.
I had a potential 6 week wait on my theory due to wanting a Sat morning but got lucky with roughly a 2 week wait.

I'll be doing a couple of instructions days before my mod 1 as I'm new to bikes so will need to get used to the bigger ones (ie not a 125) but should also mean I don't need too much training between mod 1 and mod 2 theoretically.

I've really liked dealing with Bristol MTC though, always super friendly for me and helpful. I generally expect most tests etc. to have some wait time but yours is quite crazy!

Soldato
I booked holiday as and when they had the dates free. Didn't turn anything down, and yet massive gaps between me being able to book anything in. My theory was only 3 weeks, so not bad at all. It sounds like you're following the same path as me with a conversion day in there as well, which is pretty much just an excuse for a day's riding. :)

I can only assume that the longer wait was because I started the process at the beginning of summer when it's peak time.

Soldato
I'm not in a rush although want to get it done before end of the year so waits for me don't seem too bad...but I am doing it as the weather gets rubbish so I expect the wait times do ease up a bit now anyway.

I've basically been aiming to do one thing a month-ish, CBT Aug, theory Sept and then mod 1 is Oct/Nov...which does mean the mod 2 is going to be in some potentially awful weather. :D

...I should have decided to do this much earlier in the year (and tbh, about 15 years ago...).

Soldato
Even if you did it when the weather improved, you'd be on the same timeline as me and doing your Mod 2 this week :D

Soldato
I delayed my mod 1 a bit as I was lazy really, I could have booked it as soon as I passed the theory in early Sept so would have had the mod 1 around now/next week...but yeah, lazy and wanting to split it out a bit more.

I can't wait for mod 1 though, riding a proper bike and not a CG125 should be great! I got to ride the CG as I'd never ridden before and they have easier clutches apparently but even that was fun! :D

Soldato
I learned on one of those CG125s as well! I felt like I was learning to ride on a piece of history :D

The CBF600s they put you on after are a marked improvement in terms of comfort, but I really didn't get on with the Suzuki GS500e - Back pain after about 20 mins of riding!

Associate
I had my mod-1 cancelled in September due to bad weather and had to reschedule it to 3 weeks later (yesterday). Was really worried because 3 weeks without riding a bike and then diving into a mod-1 test was not ideal! We left the school in the morning (my test was at 9:30am) and surprisingly I was a lot more confident than before. When the examiner called my name I got nervous af but after speaking to him a little (he made some jokes, etc) I got relaxed and did well in the test. My main concern was the swerve – when training I was slowing down before the speed trap because my mind was concentrating in the cones and I didn’t want to go too fast. Thankfully I did OK and had 0 faults! I was really surprised because I always had at least one minor fault while training. Mod-2 scheduled to Friday and hopefully I’ll pass so I can finally go shopping for a bike! :)

Back
Top Bottom